Tds Meter Data - What Does It Mean?

• Thread starter Budzy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sixstring

sixstring

Im not sure what your question is lol.been a while since i used a/n and that ph perfect is designed for hydro and coco.so after all your nutrients are mixed check ph and adjust up to 6.5 for a few to raise it.
Anyways back when i used the grow,micro,bloom i wanna say i was mixing 5ml per gal of each so 5ml gr,5ml micro,5ml bl and check your ppm.should be real close to 550 maybe 600ppm with your water. But at wk 6 i would start lowering the micro to maybe 2 or 3ml and add to the bloom to say maybe 8ml per gallon for your last few feeds.not a big deal if you just keep it 5,5,5 just letting you know how i used it
I never went above 8ml 8ml 8ml for the whole bloom cycle, stuff is strong.

eternalroots

eternalroots

Some things I want to clear up, the .5 and .7, or 500 and 700 conversion ratio is specific to the manufacturer. google your device and it can tell you which conversion they use.

Secondly, if you are feeding a plant, and run off comes out higher than what you fed it, then yes, you need to flush your plants.

Nutrients are not on either a 500 or 700 scale, that is specifically referring to the type of device you own. I do agree that doing conversions at 700 is safer to avoid over-feeding.

When looking to feed at a desired PPM, make your batch for 2 gallons, but only use 1.5 gallons water. Then slowly add more pure water until PPM drops to the level you would prefer. If you are feeding at 780 and getting 970 back, try dropping your feed to 500 for a few feeds. Also, in soil, are you feeding every time you water? That could be some of what you are dealing with, as it is generally recommended to feed once in a week, and water the rest of the time. Just my .02, hope this points you in the right direction.

Budzy

Budzy

Thanks guy, that is some very good info and answered my question about mixing ppm ranges. Wish i would have read this sooner because i did in fact feed every watering a few times because the AN guy said it was ok to do so because it does not build up salts as bad as other ferts but after 2 or 3 feedings i flushed it and went back to feed, water, feed at 75% strength and today backed it down to 50% strength based on the info i received here but it was still a higher ppm than you guys recommend but did not know then how to measure ppms and will mix the 500ppm you recommend next feeding, plain water is next.

This was today's feeding (before i saw this):
Nute Mix = 614 ppm., 6.3 pH.
Runoff = 790 ppm., 6.0 pH.

I sincerely appreciate the help from you guys, week 6 flower is no time for rookie mistakes.

sixstring

sixstring

runoff 790 in soil is not bad,you dont want it too low at this stage.i dont usually water to runoff and i feed every day.but sometimes i'll see something looks over fed and ill water to runoff so i can have a look at the numbers.problems usually happen for me around 1100 to 1200ppm or just over 2.0 ec.but i have also seen my runoff at 3500ppm and the plant looked fine.so its a reference but dont put too much stock in runoff#.everyones enviro is dif and feeds need to match your grow style.it sounds like and looks like your just a tad high the last few weeks,so a few water only feeds next round during the same period might help.but your plants look like they were doing pretty dang well,just a lil hickup imo.they will finish fine

sixstring

sixstring

i think if you backed off the micro a bit like i was saying in the other post it would help alot because its heavy on nitrogen and that is what looks like happened based on how deep green the plants are.

Budzy

Budzy

I am not using the micro. I have the 2 part sensi-bloom parts A&B for base nutes.
Also, if you look closely, the foliage on the left does not appear as dark green as that on the right to me but alas, i am color blind. There is a bag of co2 sitting directly underneath the right hand side and think this may be why? Just guessing.

Irie Farmer

Irie Farmer

Well, I know that AN nutes are referring to the 700 scale.
This is the TDS pen i have
I do not see where it tells me which scale the pen is using. and there is some info there about it's calibration but am not sure if that is what you are referring to... getting a bit over my head now.

I gave her 2 gals. 6.3pH Tap (036ppm.)
Runoff = 975ppm., 5.9pH.

Last feeding the runoff was 970ppm... which means what?

here is a current photo if anyone would like to see her:

View attachment 589503
Looks like you have been feeding heavy for a while and still A LOT of N in those leaves. You need to start flushing at this point, and hard. Might take a product like Clearex or Sledgehammer to get the nutes out since they are pretty high and your fan leaves are burning, not fading. There should be no super dark fan leaves left and you should have some fall colors happening. I think that's the info you need but you should definitely learn the knowledge above and honestly I would suggest switching to an EC meter and take the guess work out for now because you're over feeding one way or another, either from just going by what the bottle suggested or by thinking that you're on a 7 scale when actually on a 5. Best, Irie.

Irie Farmer

Irie Farmer

I am not using the micro. I have the 2 part sensi-bloom parts A&B for base nutes.
Also, if you look closely, the foliage on the left does not appear as dark green as that on the right to me but alas, i am color blind. There is a bag of co2 sitting directly underneath the right hand side and think this may be why? Just guessing.
Micro is in the A part

sixstring

sixstring

Never used sensi but i would guess the just mixed 3 bottles into 2 lol.

Budzy

Budzy

exactly. thanks for your input sixstring, I saw some of your grows and you 'da man. lol. You say you do not water to runoff... i was under the impression that 10 to 20 percent runoff was pretty important.

Last edited:
Budzy

Budzy

Water
2 gals. 6.2 Tap (036ppm.)
Runoff = 504ppm., 6.1pH.

Now, I have the soil at the ppm you recommended feeding at "for a few". Saturday will be the end of week 6... when should i stop feeding ferts? some places say last 2 weeks, some say 1 week and yet others say as soon as the first amber trichome appears. Seems like i need to make environmental changes that also vary depending on which book or website you look at.

Hoping her tits will swell up soon!
Does longer veg = longer flower?

Olive   Week 53

Last edited:
Irie Farmer

Irie Farmer

Water
Runoff = 504ppm., 6.1pH.

Now, I have the soil at the ppm you recommended feeding at "for a few". Saturday will be the end of week 6... when should i stop feeding ferts? some places say last 2 weeks, some say 1 week and yet others say as soon as the first amber trichome appears. Seems like i need to make environmental changes that also vary depending on which book or website you look at.

View attachment 590550
You should be flushing while the PISTILS are still white or you will have nutes in your flowers at chop. You should be flushing NOW and they will swell. Watch Grand Master Level on YouTube for a perfect flush. Best, Irie.

sixstring

sixstring

Water
Runoff = 504ppm., 6.1pH.

View attachment 590550
man i would kill for that tap water lol.depends on strain for me but i like to do a 10 to 12 day flush.some growers do it and some just feed normally till chop day.theres much controversy on flushing .but anyhow if you want to flush like lots of folks do its nice to know when the plants are supposed to finish.if its a 9 week strain plan to stop feeding mid week 7.even 7 days or 7 waterings of plain water helps the plant use up stored nutes and get a lil fade goin.if it was my garden i would prob feed with a bloom boost only like 0-4-5 or similar no more nitro and no more calcium/mag needed.
my first few flush days i use water and molasses,just 5ml per gal then ill do 8 to 10 plain water to finish.i water every day.so if your plants dont drink like mine you would have to tweak that some.
as far as the runoff question in the other post,its probably a good idea to do it.i dont like the mess and i dont feed as heavy as alot of growers do.you see guys talk about 1200 to `1500ppm feeds,if i did that every day my plants would cook without runoff.even my 500 to 700ppm feeds tend to burn the tips around week 5 or 6 but its ok imo,i know they are getting enough food this way.plus my rooms always around 30% r/h so its kinda expected ill get some tip burn because conditions are not ideal,but it works for me.i used to feed hard around 1000 to 1200 sometimes higher and i was always chasing some minor issue or using alot of calmag to correct shit.i stopped listening to all the hype on the net and started growing like i used to outside,which was very light feeds in preped holes of peat moss and natural soil.

your plants look pretty good,just a lil off and i would guess your just a tad high on feeds and ph is too low for soil.had the ph been at 6,2 to 6.5 the whole run they prob would look perfect.but it never hurts to use plain water 1 time for every 6 or 7 feeds unless you grow in coco.let us see some pics before ya chop,i bet these finish sweet.peace

Irie Farmer

Irie Farmer

Water
Runoff = 504ppm., 6.1pH.

View attachment 590550
Your pH will drop because of the cation in the root zone. If you're putting water in that is lower than the EC in the soil this is normal. Try flushing with close to nuetral water which is 7 and see what the runoff is. You also want to get your runoff as low as the tap you're putting in and then let the plants start using all of the nutes stored in the leaves. A longer veg will not increase flower time or vice versa, they are unrelated. A 13/11 light cycle will speed up the flowering time and I always do this with sativas but you may lose a little yield if you don't have enough light intensity. Also keeping the air at the canopy level around 75•F helps immensely with yield and may speed up flowering a tad. Best. Irie.

Latest posts

Top Bottom