Telling when flowers are ripe

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I have 3 different magnifiers and all 3 are giving me a hard time. I have a 10X printers loupe awkward and hard to hold still.Then I bought a couple of lighted models from my local hydro store.

No matter what I use I cannot tell if the trichomes are turning cloudy or not. What are you more seasoned guys and gals using to tell when your flowers are ripe?

Then I am confused as to when they are at the peak of ripeness based on all the info out there. Some claim to wait until the trics are turning cloudy and some are going amber. My understanding is that when they get cloudy the THC has begun to degrade from their optimum levels. Thus why would we wait until they are going cloudy.?

The strain is Predator Pink and the breeders time span is 50-56 days from flip. I am at 56 days today. However I also know sometimes plants ripen before the stated times and sometimes take longer. But again without a good way to inspect I am just going off the stated flower time. Need some assistance please

Gatelee

Gatelee

You want your trichomes to be cloudy. Clear trichomes are not potent. If your plants are still shooting pistils then they're not ready. Cut when you don't have white pistils if you can't figure out your loupe.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
pistils are all red or brown

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
What types of magnifiers are most folks using?

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

I use a 40x handheld like from hydrofarm but there are others. it might be easier to take a pic with a good cam and look at it on a tv or computer.

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

no white ones left
that means you are probably in the window of harvest, but u can pinpoint the perfect time looking at the trichromes. I only check new strains.. the stuff I've been running for years I know when its done... looks the same everytime.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks all. Got to say this Predator Pink is some of the pretties ladies I have seen in a long time. Long live the breeders in the PNW!!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have 3 different magnifiers and all 3 are giving me a hard time. I have a 10X printers loupe awkward and hard to hold still.Then I bought a couple of lighted models from my local hydro store.

No matter what I use I cannot tell if the trichomes are turning cloudy or not. What are you more seasoned guys and gals using to tell when your flowers are ripe?

Then I am confused as to when they are at the peak of ripeness based on all the info out there. Some claim to wait until the trics are turning cloudy and some are going amber. My understanding is that when they get cloudy the THC has begun to degrade from their optimum levels. Thus why would we wait until they are going cloudy.?

The strain is Predator Pink and the breeders time span is 50-56 days from flip. I am at 56 days today. However I also know sometimes plants ripen before the stated times and sometimes take longer. But again without a good way to inspect I am just going off the stated flower time. Need some assistance please
There are a few ways of telling how 'done' a plant is that don't require a loupe. I personally have a jeweler's loupe, 10x is the most magnification I want for viewing trichomes.

So! Ways to tell how far along a girl is are....

Pistils: There may be plenty of red (dead) pistils, but is she still stacking on lots of new fresh white pistils?
Bud growth: Many folks talk about the last two weeks being prime for bud building and in my experience I'd say this is true. Is she still building bud well?
Overall appearance: Is she bright and green, or has she taken on an autumnal look?​

If it's stopped throwing lots of new pistils, if the buds seem to have stopped growing very much, if the plant has that faded, autumnal appearance, you can be fairly certain without ever scoping a trichome that she's done. If she's looking autumnal but building bud, keep her going! If she's throwing tons of new pistils IME she's still working in building bud, and again should be kept going.

I got the Radio Shack scopes, they're useless. Go to eBay, get a 10x jeweler's loupe and be done with it.

Good:

Better:

Best:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
For me, for gauging general percentages of trichome maturity, absolutely. I found 5x to be insufficient, 20x and up to be WAYYY too tight, 10x is the Goldilocks magnification. But, if you try these other methods you can be pretty safe in your timing still. Not so precise, but pretty good overall.

Top Bottom