temp issues :-(

• Thread starter HitTheHazards
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

HitTheHazards

Hey guys and gals...
I've been having some real temp issues. I'm trying to clone 4 white widow with a 400w HPS. I tried to set it up in the closet but when I close the doors (to sleep) the temp skyrockets to 96 degrees. It's usually at 82-83 with the doors open. MY options are to move the setup to another room with open air but still my temps are higher than I'd like them to be.
What can I do to fix this issue, my concern is that they will not root with such high temps?
Is there an easy way to build an exhaust fan for my 400w hood without spending 130 on an exhaust fan? There has to be an easier and/or cheaper way to lower my temps.

R

Rural_GrowOp

You need to get rid of that hps and put em under a fluorescent. Even just a couple CFL's will do the trick. HPS light is to intense for cuttings imho. You will see much better results with softer light.

R

Ronin

Buy 1 or 2 CFL's to root clones. The chances of your cuts rooting under the intensity of an HID aren't going to be good. With the CFL's heat isn't going to be an issue.

edit - beat me to it...

H

HitTheHazards

thank you for your help. If I grab some flours. What watt should I get? I was a 2' (36watt) flourecent in the local store. I was thinking about two of those for rooting 4 clones? When they are rooted, does anyone have a good idea on how to build a blower or exhaust fan?

N

Nuglover

Clones don't need much light at all to root. I used 1 18in 36w flouro tube and cloned 10 clones under it....not ideal, but it worked.

R

Rural_GrowOp

You could go that route or just go to the store and get some 24W compact florescent bulbs. Building a blower isn't easy your better off just buying one. You can get squirrel cage fans cheap on ebay.

S

SkyHi

so 30-50 bucks now will buy you some flouros for now, then later when its time to flower and use the HPS you will need to spend the money to get a fan anyways, so you do the math. Try raising the light off the plants as high as possoble (lower intensity/ heat) and add a reg fan blowing between the light and clones

J

Jalisco Kid

Call up a heating and cooling outfit and see if they will sell you a used small blower for a furnace. I bought 4 for 20 bucks that were over 2000cfm when I needed some cheap air movement. JK

N

Nuglover

I've got a massive 12in squirrel cage fan my AC guy gave me when he changed out my unit. He said they usually toss em. I'm with JK. Doesn't hurt to ask.

M

maimonides

The furnace/ac blower idea is a good one, JK. Massive airflow. But how to hook it up electrically seems like it would be a challenge - for me anyway. BTW, you can get 128 Watts and 10,000 lumens of Fluoro power here for less than $50. No more heat issues!

H

HitTheHazards

AWESOME! 2x 40w CFLs did the trick. My clones perked up under the CFLs just as quick as they went limp under the hot HID. Thank you all for your help!

Latest posts

Top Bottom