Temp Manipulation to induce Ripening

• Thread starter ComfortablyNumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Another thread got me to thinking:

Outdoor temps fall in the fall/autumn.
The falling temps in the wild help push the plant towards full bloom.
We keep out tent in the low 80's during the day and low 70's at night until the second half of flower. Then 60 at night and low 70's in the light.
This should be copying a stressor and inducing it to make more trichs and ripen faster. Anyone disagree or agree? Why?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Another thread got me to thinking:

Outdoor temps fall in the fall/autumn.
The falling temps in the wild help push the plant towards full bloom.
We keep out tent in the low 80's during the day and low 70's at night until the second half of flower. Then 60 at night and low 70's in the light.
This should be copying a stressor and inducing it to make more trichs and ripen faster. Anyone disagree or agree? Why?
I think high temps can delay ripening.. im not sure if low temps can speed up ripening but sounds plausible... I just don't know

Ponky

Ponky

I think you just get bud rot. I think to hasten ripening you can give 14 or even 16 hours of darkness.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I don't see Ed really directly addressing the effects of cold on the plant. As an outdoor grower, I observe an acceleration of flowering that is coincident with decreasing temperatures. The cold temps at the end turn buds purple. I always leave a few colas of plants to make this happen, because they are cool looking. I haven't noticed any increase in potency. I think hot, bright sun is going to have the highest UV, and UV definitely has been shown to increase potency significantly.

The main problem as it gets cold is staving off bud rot, which takes hold easier as the weather cools and the buds don't dry off during the day. It's always a race between maturity and mold here in the PNW. Actinovate is my friend.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I don't type well.

I meant to say I see 10 different questions answered on the first page.

I did find a USDA study that says plants (fruits) ripen faster due to colder temps. I didn't read the entire brief, but it seemed to be limited to fruiting plants.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think you just get bud rot. I think to hasten ripening you can give 14 or even 16 hours of darkness.
I think it's the other way around personally but I caution that I'm not 100%.

The reduced photo period will initiate flower. At the end say last 10 days I believe an increased light period will speed up ripening and by that time reveg is not an issue

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Many growers have dehumidifiers just to prevent bud rot in lower temps.
This seems to be a common technique, using Temp to help force ripening.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

1. I don't see Ed really directly addressing the effects of cold on the plant. True, I need to be more careful with my typing. I don't always have time to go back and fix it.

As an outdoor grower, I observe an acceleration of flowering that is coincident with decreasing temperatures. Yeah, even the USDA report I saw seemed to adhere to fruiting plants. I've seen nothing by anyone to indicate one way or another, but ofttimes enough anecdotal evidence is good enough for a generalization. Don't you think so? Probably half the growers I know change temps. That seems significant.

The cold temps at the end turn buds purple. This is a well known response. Anthrocyains are responsible.

I think hot, bright sun is going to have the highest UV, and UV definitely has been shown to increase potency significantly. Can't argue with that.

The main problem as it gets cold is staving off bud rot, which takes hold easier as the weather cools and the buds don't dry off during the day. It's always a race between maturity and mold here in the PNW. Actinovate is my friend. Lots of dehumidifiers in use for that reason.

Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

Well I said quite a few times on here I think cold is probably the best method for driving Resin, terps, flavor etc. I've been using it to do so for a very long , but its more then just throwing cold in your room. its an understanding of how to use it, what gets cold whats doesn't etc. I learned I can bring the temps very low using a specific method that works for me. like anything you'll see different results with different strains etc but overall I never found a strain it didn't work on. I'm sure there is more articles about this but here is one, read where it says taking advantage of the cold in cannabis. as specific to quicker ripening I don't find it gains you much. but if combined with a method to give the plant more energy then your talking.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I don't see Ed really directly addressing the effects of cold on the plant. As an outdoor grower, I observe an acceleration of flowering that is coincident with decreasing temperatures. The cold temps at the end turn buds purple. I always leave a few colas of plants to make this happen, because they are cool looking. I haven't noticed any increase in potency. I think hot, bright sun is going to have the highest UV, and UV definitely has been shown to increase potency significantly.

The main problem as it gets cold is staving off bud rot, which takes hold easier as the weather cools and the buds don't dry off during the day. It's always a race between maturity and mold here in the PNW. Actinovate is my friend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom