Tent and growroom airflow / circulation question

• Thread starter Zoneshityee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zoneshityee

Zoneshityee

Hi guys,
Fairly new to growing, started my first clone about 6 months ago. My question is in regard to the climate control inside a grow room or grow tent? Is there a tried and true method of fan, ducting, light, container, cables and hoses placement ?? Is this method tested and proven ? How ? Does anyone use any kind of simulation software to optimize heat disbursement or anything like that ?? If so what is the website ??! I struggle to find info online about this so far..

Zoneshityee

Zoneshityee

I change the layout in here very often and watch my sensors to gauge the effectiveness of design. Havent really found a great way yet..

20201219 122411
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Sensor placement is key for accurate control. Im not sure what your asking? Its a bit to general.

Each space is kinda unique but cyclone at and below the canopy. Intake from the bottom exhaust near the top.

Controlling temp and humidity is better done in the room the tent is in rather than in the tent itself.

Zoneshityee

Zoneshityee

Sensor placement is key for accurate control. Im not sure what your asking? Its a bit to general.

Each space is kinda unique but cyclone at and below the canopy. Intake from the bottom exhaust near the top.

Controlling temp and humidity is better done in the room the tent is in rather than in the tent itself.
Hi, the sensors I was referring to was the c02 and rh/c-f w.e.. so.. it isnt a very broad question it's more like multiple very precise questions.. so like each tent setup what the optimal, not possible, placement of equipment and stuff is.. where the fans are pointed.. container color.. etc.. like I realized that when I got the tent I put a big cardboard box flat on the ground wrapped in a black trashbag... well it would draw/absorb light.. just realized that the other day haha

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hi, the sensors I was referring to was the c02 and rh/c-f w.e.. so.. it isnt a very broad question it's more like multiple very precise questions.. so like each tent setup what the optimal, not possible, placement of equipment and stuff is.. where the fans are pointed.. container color.. etc.. like I realized that when I got the tent I put a big cardboard box flat on the ground wrapped in a black trashbag... well it would draw/absorb light.. just realized that the other day haha
Have a nice day.

Zoneshityee

Zoneshityee

????......ok thank you...
Is there a formula somewhere ? It would probably take into account the square foot of tent/room, the CFM and the power of lights/for // for heat generated... because we want our root zone coolr than ambient right .. or like an idea? How many fans per square feet?? Somthijng.

Zoneshityee

Zoneshityee

@Nukesrt @Legobuzzard
I dont understand following this man here to like a post that doesnt even make sense ...
Like am I being dismissed? And you enjoy that? How about help a brother out understand this I want to make the best way, that's all...

Nukesrt

Nukesrt

@Nukesrt @Legobuzzard
I dont understand following this man here to like a post that doesnt even make sense ...
Like am I being dismissed? And you enjoy that? How about help a brother out understand this I want to make the best way, that's all...
its funny because youre getting upset about you not being able to properly ask a question.. youre asking such a vague question its like if someone asks what kind of weed are they growing and they respond kush.. like okay, go into detail of what youre asking, we dont live in your mind.

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

There are many things that need to be considered when trying to decide what kind of grow space is best for you. Controlling your growing environment can be a challenging learning curve, as I have experienced. There are various systems for venting and non-venting a grow space, and even many variances in this as well. If you are using only one tent from veg through to flower, then only getting one environment right is all that is generally needed, circulating air back into the room the tent is located. You can always open a window, or turn the heat to a setting in the room that keeps the air in your room ideal, as it circulates in cooler air into the tent and filters out heated air through your exhaust fan (and carbon filter), back into the room and remixes with the air in the room for reuse...and no smell. This is somewhat known as a "HYBRID" growing room, using the air outside the tent space to be controlling the environment inside, but it really is an "OPEN" grow system for simple reasons, as we still need to exchange air outside the grow space for it to work. Remember, all fans need to be able to suck if they are going to move air through any venting system you design or choose to use. Simply putting a fan to a window to move 200+ cubic feet a minute of air out outside from an enclosed room without a way for air to be replenished in that space will only cause the tents walls to suck in, but it really isn't moving air anywhere.
Problems arise when temperatures and humidity outside are not compatible with ideal growing conditions and as a result, if you are counting on a window being ajar to keep temperature down from the heat generated in or outside your grow space, from all your growing essentials (lights, fans, dehumidifiers, pumps, etc.) then, as I had learned the hard way, you may need to consider another way. I was having problems with 3 separate grow tents set up to accommodate my veg in one tent, and grow in two alternating flower period tents, in a room that was 8 X 12 room, so this didn't leave me much space to do any remixing of air outside my grow spaces in the room, especially when the temperature outside was in the mid 20 degrees Celsius range with a humidity of 80% was being drawn into the room. I suffered major heat issues in my tents and in my room. as the humidity and heat went insane. By adding a dehumidifier to control humidity helped that problem a little, it did nothing for my high heat issues. Adding the dehumidifier to the grow room outside the tent only compounded my problem of venting heat. Then my growing conditions cooled outside and my humidity problems became more controllable again. Then came winter, and again my problems arose as cold air into the room was also becoming a concern. I even moved one of my flower tents into an opposite 12 hour flower time just to allow the temperature from the lights of one tent being always on to help keep the room temperatures at a consistent level, but even tis got worse as one day temperatures outside were warming up one day and then dipping down to real freezing temperatures on other days, with humidity down into the high 20% RH. . This is called an "OPEN" grow system, where I was exchanging air from the outside to the inside, and back outside again. This will only work in climates that there is not a big fluctuation in temperatures and humidity, or you may just have to consider when in the year you want to grow with the least environmental issues.
Since experiencing the frustration of these issues, I looked at everything from changing my lights from (2 X 315 CMH lights) to LED's to control any heat issues, but knew this only resolved half my problems as humidity would still give me grief. I did some research and decided instead of changing lights and adding a whole lot of extras, I decided to take down my tents, put a dividing wall up which now gives me a grow room of 8X8 and a small veg room outside that space for veg. I purchased a dual port air conditioner for the room and now use those vents in the window to connect the AC to. However, it is not just an air conditioner. It is programable AC, a heater, and a dehumidifier all in one. Now with my flower room as one room I can control this space from start to grow, and the only other thing I added was a humidifier for those days of really low RH, where I have it set to a sensor when my humidity drops low, but also cuts out when it is in the right range. I have gone to great lengths to seal up all my holes, and as a point of interest, I also needed to add another 20 amp circuit to accommodate the draw of electricity when the combined AC/ heater/ dehumidifier kicks in. No air in my grow room is vented outside, nor is any any air from outside dragged in to my room. I circulate the air in my room with fans and I also vent the smell through the filter back into the same room. This is called a "CLOSED" grow system. Since then, I have tweaked my programming and everything now runs fine. My plants grow in a controlled environment. For me , I had to buy a combination AC unit for my room, but if you have a mini-split in that room or even a household AC system, you may also be able to work a "CLOSED" grow system.
On a final note, some "CLOSED" grow room growers have had some problems with just a closed system, even though it is the overall most efficient and controllable grow system for an environment you can make for year round growing, some growers have had difficulties with their plants during their grows. Nobody seems to be sure why, but it is suspected some grow rooms may gas off certain vapors in an enclosed grow space. Their solution is what is called a "HYBRID" grow system where depending on the space, growers will turn on for a few minutes at a time fans to vent the room from outside to inside and then outside again, changing only the room air a few times a day in short bursts, which growers say has worked with great success. I don't have this problem, but already have a solution should I experience these problems down the road. I wanted to be able to add CO2 to my "CLOSED" grow system, without having to vent away all that CO2 in my grow room for a problem I don't have....at least yet. But, someday should I have to, I already planned to add "Y" connections in and out of the window, with baffle valves to allow a quick exchange of air to vent when the lights are off because I will then have to go "HYBRID".
I hope this helps, though lengthy, do some google searching on these different grow systems and decide what you think will work best for you, considering your own problems. 👍

Zoneshityee

Zoneshityee

There are many things that need to be considered when trying to decide what kind of grow space is best for you. Controlling your growing environment can be a challenging learning curve, as I have experienced. There are various systems for venting and non-venting a grow space, and even many variances in this as well. If you are using only one tent from veg through to flower, then only getting one environment right is all that is generally needed, circulating air back into the room the tent is located. You can always open a window, or turn the heat to a setting in the room that keeps the air in your room ideal, as it circulates in cooler air into the tent and filters out heated air through your exhaust fan (and carbon filter), back into the room and remixes with the air in the room for reuse...and no smell. This is somewhat known as a "HYBRID" growing room, using the air outside the tent space to be controlling the environment inside, but it really is an "OPEN" grow system for simple reasons, as we still need to exchange air outside the grow space for it to work. Remember, all fans need to be able to suck if they are going to move air through any venting system you design or choose to use. Simply putting a fan to a window to move 200+ cubic feet a minute of air out outside from an enclosed room without a way for air to be replenished in that space will only cause the tents walls to suck in, but it really isn't moving air anywhere.
Problems arise when temperatures and humidity outside are not compatible with ideal growing conditions and as a result, if you are counting on a window being ajar to keep temperature down from the heat generated in or outside your grow space, from all your growing essentials (lights, fans, dehumidifiers, pumps, etc.) then, as I had learned the hard way, you may need to consider another way. I was having problems with 3 separate grow tents set up to accommodate my veg in one tent, and grow in two alternating flower period tents, in a room that was 8 X 12 room, so this didn't leave me much space to do any remixing of air outside my grow spaces in the room, especially when the temperature outside was in the mid 20 degrees Celsius range with a humidity of 80% was being drawn into the room. I suffered major heat issues in my tents and in my room. as the humidity and heat went insane. By adding a dehumidifier to control humidity helped that problem a little, it did nothing for my high heat issues. Adding the dehumidifier to the grow room outside the tent only compounded my problem of venting heat. Then my growing conditions cooled outside and my humidity problems became more controllable again. Then came winter, and again my problems arose as cold air into the room was also becoming a concern. I even moved one of my flower tents into an opposite 12 hour flower time just to allow the temperature from the lights of one tent being always on to help keep the room temperatures at a consistent level, but even tis got worse as one day temperatures outside were warming up one day and then dipping down to real freezing temperatures on other days, with humidity down into the high 20% RH. . This is called an "OPEN" grow system, where I was exchanging air from the outside to the inside, and back outside again. This will only work in climates that there is not a big fluctuation in temperatures and humidity, or you may just have to consider when in the year you want to grow with the least environmental issues.
Since experiencing the frustration of these issues, I looked at everything from changing my lights from (2 X 315 CMH lights) to LED's to control any heat issues, but knew this only resolved half my problems as humidity would still give me grief. I did some research and decided instead of changing lights and adding a whole lot of extras, I decided to take down my tents, put a dividing wall up which now gives me a grow room of 8X8 and a small veg room outside that space for veg. I purchased a dual port air conditioner for the room and now use those vents in the window to connect the AC to. However, it is not just an air conditioner. It is programable AC, a heater, and a dehumidifier all in one. Now with my flower room as one room I can control this space from start to grow, and the only other thing I added was a humidifier for those days of really low RH, where I have it set to a sensor when my humidity drops low, but also cuts out when it is in the right range. I have gone to great lengths to seal up all my holes, and as a point of interest, I also needed to add another 20 amp circuit to accommodate the draw of electricity when the combined AC/ heater/ dehumidifier kicks in. No air in my grow room is vented outside, nor is any any air from outside dragged in to my room. I circulate the air in my room with fans and I also vent the smell through the filter back into the same room. This is called a "CLOSED" grow system. Since then, I have tweaked my programming and everything now runs fine. My plants grow in a controlled environment. For me , I had to buy a combination AC unit for my room, but if you have a mini-split in that room or even a household AC system, you may also be able to work a "CLOSED" grow system.
On a final note, some "CLOSED" grow room growers have had some problems with just a closed system, even though it is the overall most efficient and controllable grow system for an environment you can make for year round growing, some growers have had difficulties with their plants during their grows. Nobody seems to be sure why, but it is suspected some grow rooms may gas off certain vapors in an enclosed grow space. Their solution is what is called a "HYBRID" grow system where depending on the space, growers will turn on for a few minutes at a time fans to vent the room from outside to inside and then outside again, changing only the room air a few times a day in short bursts, which growers say has worked with great success. I don't have this problem, but already have a solution should I experience these problems down the road. I wanted to be able to add CO2 to my "CLOSED" grow system, without having to vent away all that CO2 in my grow room for a problem I don't have....at least yet. But, someday should I have to, I already planned to add "Y" connections in and out of the window, with baffle valves to allow a quick exchange of air to vent when the lights are off because I will then have to go "HYBRID".
I hope this helps, though lengthy, do some google searching on these different grow systems and decide what you think will work best for you, considering your own problems. 👍
I appreciate you all taking the time to respond and sharing your experience and insight.. so it kinda seems that the answer to my questions are : no .. and it hasnt been done and it is not a well known or easily accessible data.... which is what I suspected.. see i work with thermal engineering department as my career and as a very general description, everyday I run various tests based on controlling temperatures to customer specifications. Since most tents run very similar size, even tho manufacturers differ, I could run a couple tests and be able to characterize what various tents setup are beat for that tent.. see what I mean ?? The tent vendors say oh you can put x plants, or you have 2 ft by 2ft light area, but not good detail like container size and shape for hydro, the Quantity, the light and fan count.. etc.. I'm just trying to make this easier for people in the future because like I said I'm new and killed so many clones and wasted money while learning... it wasnt a great experience and part of it is due to this issue, it ended up causing g root rot over and over again, and I couldnt freakin figure out why for a while....
What companies would ship equipment for me to run various tests to find optimal hardware placement in tents in exchange for the videos and reviews as well as this potentially new and impactful result ? Would anyone k ow where I would start on that endeavor ??

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

I appreciate you all taking the time to respond and sharing your experience and insight.. so it kinda seems that the answer to my questions are : no .. and it hasnt been done and it is not a well known or easily accessible data.... which is what I suspected.. see i work with thermal engineering department as my career and as a very general description, everyday I run various tests based on controlling temperatures to customer specifications. Since most tents run very similar size, even tho manufacturers differ, I could run a couple tests and be able to characterize what various tents setup are beat for that tent.. see what I mean ?? The tent vendors say oh you can put x plants, or you have 2 ft by 2ft light area, but not good detail like container size and shape for hydro, the Quantity, the light and fan count.. etc.. I'm just trying to make this easier for people in the future because like I said I'm new and killed so many clones and wasted money while learning... it wasnt a great experience and part of it is due to this issue, it ended up causing g root rot over and over again, and I couldnt freakin figure out why for a while....
What companies would ship equipment for me to run various tests to find optimal hardware placement in tents in exchange for the videos and reviews as well as this potentially new and impactful result ? Would anyone k ow where I would start on that endeavor ??
Sounds like you are over complicating issues and trying to make a one size fits all answer to your question. I have yet to see how your research would have fixed my problem, considering what factors I had to deal with. Everybody has different issues, and despite how much I pay for this or pay for that, sometimes the best talents of a grower come from experience. Try that 👍

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

Sounds like you are over complicating issues and trying to make a one size fits all answer to your question. I have yet to see how your research would have fixed my problem, considering what factors I had to deal with. Everybody has different issues, and despite how much I pay for this or pay for that, sometimes the best talents of a grower come from experience. Try that 👍
And, not to worry if you have been at it only six months. There are people growing for years and still don't know how to grow. That's why they come here for help 😉👌

Zoneshityee

Zoneshityee

Ok so this room.is a mess but here is pictures of the layout.. if you would re arrange, how would it be?? Wrote notes on pix

Screenshot 20201219 222410 Gallery
Screenshot 20201219 221900 Gallery
Screenshot 20201219 221753 Gallery
Screenshot 20201219 222205 Gallery
Screenshot 20201219 222101 Gallery
Screenshot 20201219 222002 Gallery
Zoneshityee

Zoneshityee

No by all means not a one size fit all.. more like tested solutions for all..... like imagine buying g your tent and it gives you included a data fact sheet saying somthing like
: hydro, this tent is best for four 8.8 gallon tub 12x14x18 with (x) fans pointed (y) direction at (z) rpm with air filter cfm@ w or wo a/, c02, etc. Etc........ and they calculate non insulated tubs time it will take to warm up to a dangerous point based in thermal power derived from lights and like a cheat sheet for you and stuff.. I think this is what our Industry needs.. I was thinking of a way to cheaply fully automate all aspects of a hydro grow, seems like I will be able to figure that out, but yea see what I mean yet guys or no ??

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

"..see i work with thermal engineering department as my career and as a very general description, everyday I run various tests based on controlling temperatures to customer specifications."

Hmm? I don't think you are getting the point for someone who claims to do what you do for a living, otherwise you would be giving us more information....like the size of your tent. You made reference earlier, only to say, "Since most tents run very similar size, even tho manufacturers differ,...", doesn't even make sense to me...What size is that?
I have worked over 26 years of my last career as a firefighter, and now a Fire Captain, I too understand your question, but let me offer you an analogy to your train of thought. In determining the amount of water I need to consider to put out a structure fire offers me a number of different fire flow formulas, ,all different, yet applicable in different situations, and at best, since I do not know all the contents, and fire load of that building, just it's size. It will tell not me everything I would like to know (like the layout inside, the number of rooms, stairwells, hallways, elevators, post construction renovations, stairwells)…besides what else is happening upon arrival. My point is this, at best these formulas are only guidelines to help. The proof is in the work at the end of the day. You can't expect others to just glance at a few photos you put up and have us give you your answers because you don't know.
In reality, not killing your plants is the first thing you need to know how to do consistently. Look at your plants and let them guide you to what you need to do with them.

Zoneshityee

Zoneshityee

No no bro I'm doing my tent, I'm saying end result, I want to get various tents from some manufacturers and run these tests and then create a document for the various common sizes.. it will let you know tent a is better for bla bla tent b is better for bla bla bla etc etc... and it is broad and generalized with chatsheet for reference.. the space used, type of grow, netting, static and differential pressure, cables,temp, humidity, db. Level, all tested and diagram for us the consumer to follow for much smoother learning curve

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

I understand what you are trying to accomplish, but if you go back to my first post to you this evening, how would you have solved my problems with considerations to my grow space with tent specs and best learning curve ideas? The problems you are trying to fix probably means that the person you are targeting should not be growing for themselves, if they aren't interested in learning for themselves. Personally, if I didn't know much about growing through my own experiences, then putting out cheat sheets for growing would only be more confusing to learn when I had a problem to solve. My rule of thumb is simple, less is best, and the best growers learn how to overcome their problems so they don't have to repeat them.

As a final point here, I personally don't believe the equipment makes the grower...but experience will! Kind of like that saying, Show a person how to fish and you will be feed them for the day, but teach them to fish and they will feed themselves forever. 😉👍

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

...and, I don't mean to burst your bubble with your ideas. There are some good guides to follow already out there when it comes to guides for lights versus grow spaces, and if you consider how fast the market is changing for growers almost every month, it might be futile that your data would be outdated before you published it 😉 Enjoy your evening and best of luck in your grows 👍

Zoneshityee

Zoneshityee

...and, I don't mean to burst your bubble with your ideas. There are some good guides to follow already out there when it comes to guides for lights versus grow spaces, and if you consider how fast the market is changing for growers almost every month, it might be futile that your data would be outdated before you published it 😉 Enjoy your evening and best of luck in your grows 👍
Nice appreciate it, no bubbles bursted here lol... really it's for me down the road when I design setups for people 👍 I can quickly remember what's best and tech can change, but math wont :)

Top Bottom