Tent Grow Looking For A Discussion

• Thread starter S3ntual0101
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

S3ntual0101

Hey everyone, rather new here. But I have been lurking about reading everything I can. Just trying to get a plan together for a later grow. I have listed what I believe should be a good setup for my space, based off my research so far. But as always I’m just looking for some constructive criticism on my selections. If there’s anything you would change and or suggest if it were your setup what would it be?

I’m in no rush to start any time real soon, just want to have a plan for when I can & the shopping list to slowly acquire the necessities. All that being said I’m locked into my 2’x4’x5’ tent from start to finish. . Other than that everything inside is subject to change by the following discussion ahead.

Thanks again everyone.

Space - 2’x4’x5’ tent @ 8 sq. ft. floor space (in a cool basement environment)

Lighting - HLG 320 Watt XL Quantum Board @ 40W a sq. ft.

Or HLG 260 Watt XL Quantum Board @ 32.5W a sq. ft.

Bolth lights have same Dimensions @ 35" x 8" x 3"

Ventilation - AC Infinity CLOUDLINE, Quiet Inline Duct Fan with Thermostat Speed Control 4in @(195 cfm) or 6in version @(351 cfm)?

Plant count – 2

Substrate - Canna Coco

Nutrients - jacks 3-2-1

Method - flood and drain Scrog

Flood and drain equipment in mind ( Botanicare Low Tide Tray, 1’x 4’ ) and (3-Gallon Smart Pot @ 10 x 0.5 x 10 inches) smart pot too big for tray? Any other suggestions?

S

S3ntual0101

Just realized I should have posted this in "grow room setup & design". not sure how to move it. If a moderator sees this feel free to move it.

Smerb

Smerb

Hey everyone, rather new here. But I have been lurking about reading everything I can. Just trying to get a plan together for a later grow. I have listed what I believe should be a good setup for my space, based off my research so far. But as always I’m just looking for some constructive criticism on my selections. If there’s anything you would change and or suggest if it were your setup what would it be?

I’m in no rush to start any time real soon, just want to have a plan for when I can & the shopping list to slowly acquire the necessities. All that being said I’m locked into my 2’x4’x5’ tent from start to finish. . Other than that everything inside is subject to change by the following discussion ahead.

Thanks again everyone.

Ventilation - AC Infinity CLOUDLINE, Quiet Inline Duct Fan with Thermostat Speed Control 4in @(195 cfm) or 6in version @(351 cfm)?

Plant count – 2

Substrate - Canna Coco

Nutrients - jacks 3-2-1

Flood and drain equipment in mind ( Botanicare Low Tide Tray, 1’x 4’ ) and (3-Gallon Smart Pot @ 10 x 0.5 x 10 inches) smart pot too big for tray? Any other suggestions?
My suggestion, as I use my tent for blowing out nugs o' plenty, would be keep studying. Get the gear set it up and see what's up. Oh, never stress your plants out. That's a big issue. Keep them happy and they reward you. Tent style.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Since you're in a 2x4 tent I'd consider 2 smaller light units to get a better coverage. A single unit is gonna be concentrated in the middle not covering the sides. You only have 5' height so flood'n'drain can be quite a challenge with so little overhead. Top of your pots is gonna be where? About a foot off the ground in best case? That leaves you with 4' left and you need to hang your lights, filter and a fan in there. You'll be strugling in there if you get some stretchy plants. In your case I wouldn't bother with only 2 plants but SOG the fuck out of that tent. Also be careful if your tent is sitting on a concrete and you plant to keep pots on the ground. Their feet might get way too cold that way and you'll run into series of issues. Ask me how I know that. Now I'm using an infrared foil on the ground and a temp controler to keep their feet warm (though I'm a dirt guy and my pots sit in the ground).

S

S3ntual0101

Since you're in a 2x4 tent I'd consider 2 smaller light units to get a better coverage. A single unit is gonna be concentrated in the middle not covering the sides. You only have 5' height so flood'n'drain can be quite a challenge with so little overhead. Top of your pots is gonna be where? About a foot off the ground in best case? That leaves you with 4' left and you need to hang your lights, filter and a fan in there. You'll be strugling in there if you get some stretchy plants. In your case I wouldn't bother with only 2 plants but SOG the fuck out of that tent. Also be careful if your tent is sitting on a concrete and you plant to keep pots on the ground. Their feet might get way too cold that way and you'll run into series of issues. Ask me how I know that. Now I'm using an infrared foil on the ground and a temp controler to keep their feet warm (though I'm a dirt guy and my pots sit in the ground).

hey @Toaster & @Smerb thanks for stopping in! ill try to break up my responses to keep it orderly.

as far as the lights go i had thought it would be a near perfect spread considering there dimension and the fact they are only 3in tall with from what i "hear" runs fairly cool. but what would be your suggestion for a different light be?

the 8in and 6.5 in listed in the picture below is the spacing between the tent and the light itself

Light spread
QB 320XL
Last edited:
S

S3ntual0101

And for wanting the flood and drain, I’m just looking for a little automation. Being there may be times when I may not be home for a day & would like to know the girls get watered. I figure losing 4-5in is a fair trade off for the reassurance. And being that the tent is only 5ft it gives me a little head room to elevate the tent to help getting the flood table above the reservoir. is there more ideal pots that are perhaps shorter and wider?

Mounting of the fan and filter will be in the back side of the tent and should still allow the light to be raised nearly flush to the side of the fan/filter being the light is only 8in wide itself.

Base of tent
Last edited:
S

S3ntual0101

And with the available space I intend to try my hand at trying the “flux” training method as I can see it suiting this space, I’m not looking for any major weight as its just personal for myself. That being said I’d still like my tent to be as efficient as possible.

The first round I’m sure won’t be ideal until I keep a cutting off one of the girls and start by clone for a mono crop with uniformity, so I very well may just sog it the first round in order to find a keeper. Pictures below are examples of said flux training method and are not of my own.

"Happy 420 guy" on youtube has a nice time lapse video series on the training method

DQmaQcV6VVYaKUnmArqAeJJmRqaasot4SYnEkviTNcwMC44 1680x8400
DQmVqamHpZiiBXiFzFCmiyU4wetL8sk9LVkJurdEubzjBE3
DQmYcdhssvwYShir4W22NQ5AMAxTcTZZ84fAc1sh95gARuU 1680x8400
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 3
Screenshot 5
Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
IMG 1153
hey @Toaster & @Smerb thanks for stopping in! ill try to break up my responses to keep it orderly.

as far as the lights go i had thought it would be a near perfect spread considering there dimension and the fact they are only 3in tall with from what i "hear" runs fairly cool. but what would be your suggestion for a different light be?

the 8in and 6.5 in listed in the picture below is the spacing between the tent and the light itself
The 260 xl and the 320 are NOT the same dimensions. You posted dimensions for the 320. I took a screen shot of the 260 xl.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I have 3 260 xl and love them. But i wuold go with the 320 qb with your dimensions. I have a 260 xl in a square 3x3 tent.

S

S3ntual0101

Actually I just double checked. The screenshot you had posted is of the hlg qb 260. Not the 260 XL varient. So the 260 XL and the 320 version are the same size. one just has 2x QB 288's with a space in the center for a third. And the 320 version has 3x qb288's.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Man you gogot it all figured out already. Looks good to me. Get your grow going and we'll lead you from there.

Pos vibes!

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Actually I just double checked. The screenshot you had posted is of the hlg qb 260. Not the 260 XL varient. So the 260 XL and the 320 version are the same size. one just has 2x QB 288's with a space in the center for a third. And the 320 version has 3x qb288's.
SHit, my mistake I was talking about the 260 XW... still think the you would be happier with the 320, and you can always turn it down.

S

S3ntual0101

I agree, I was leaning towards the 320 myself. How much heat do your 260's put out? Do you think a 4in fan & filter will suffice for that light & space?

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I agree, I was leaning towards the 320 myself. How much heat do your 260's put out? Do you think a 4in fan & filter will suffice for that light & space?
Yes, I have a 3x3x5 for veg with a 4" exhaust fan turned on low. The QB boards have very little radiant heat on the plant canopy. I have run hps,cmh,cob led and now QB led. QB's run the coolest for me.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter

Thanks again everyone.

Plant count – 2

Substrate - Canna Coco

Nutrients - jacks 3-2-1

You could do a 16 plant sog in that space

Top Bottom