Tent growers talk to me

• Thread starter BlueIndian
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BlueIndian

I'm sure there are pros and cons of using tents for 'rooms' but can some ppl with experience in tent grows versus fixed room builds tell me challenges using a tent I may not be considering? Seems to me the best pro about it it is quick setup and takedown if needed. Con to me would be the cost of buying them and trying to get them dialed in regarding temp, humidity and co2 supply. I'm looking at doing (2) 4x4's with 1k in each or (1) 4'x8' with 2K. Considering using 4x4' botanicare trays I already have and an e&f set up with hydroton which I`m well versed in using. Basically I need to know what challenges or probs you hit with the tents versus custom made rooms...

There is no such thing as real 'stealth' with these things so it's not like that is a factor of using one. But being able to tear down and get out in a hurry is a much better option than dismantling things and patching holes or tearing out walls. I'm not used to a 7' ceiling so that would be something i have to get used to. I'm used to a lot of head height and no restrictions....however my past spaces have been 'airy' and wasted space so A/C energy and co2 supplements have been wasted in a large sense.

Let me hear it guys...are they that easy to set up and that sweet to use? Venting into a room with a carbon scrubber enough to really knock out the smell? I have air cooled hoods and looking to cut as few holes in sheetrock as I can. Tell me your experiences good, bad, and the ugly! Thanks!

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I've only ever used a tent, and love it. Head room is a definite con, but you just adapt your grow to the space. They are great for SOG. I've yet to implement an effective co2 solution, but I don be, it can be done. This time of year I don't run AC and have no problem keeping a 4x6 with 2 600s and 300 Plasma at an ambient temp in the low to mid 70s and a radiant temp of about 78-80. I love their self contained nature and built in infrastructure for venting, electrical, lights, etc. . .

You can find them pretty reasonably online, and if you consider the time and cost of building out something comparable, it's a no brainer. . . I'm not much of a DIYr so I'm always looking for cost effective and simple solutions. IMO grow tents fall into that category.

If it matters I use the Hydrohut tent.

outwest

squiggly

squiggly

Super cropping (scrog/LST) can be difficult in a tent--because it's not super easy to get to the back.

Positioning lights can be a pain.

I, personally, scrog in my tent--so I prefer to do a modular scrog design--where I can pull each plant out with its screen attached and get at the ones in the back. This would be my biggest tip to you. Figure out how you are going to get your hands where you need your hands to get to--else you'll find yourself in a messy situation late in flower.

Also, ALWAYS check for light leaks before moving forward. Gorilla duct tape is great for patching these.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Super cropping (scrog/LST) can be difficult in a tent--because it's not super easy to get to the back.

Positioning lights can be a pain.

I, personally, scrog in my tent--so I prefer to do a modular scrog design--where I can pull each plant out with its screen attached and get at the ones in the back. This would be my biggest tip to you. Figure out how you are going to get your hands where you need your hands to get to--else you'll find yourself in a messy situation late in flower.

Also, ALWAYS check for light leaks before moving forward. Gorilla duct tape is great for patching these.

Good point, squigg. I have to remove half my garden to work on the other half. Not exactly ideal. But that's a space issue and not a tent issue per se. I'd have that problem in any 4x6 space.

outwest

B

BlueIndian

Thanks for the input! Big advantage I see is ease of putting up and breaking down. And the ability of working just in the micro climate of the tent rather than the whole room....although the ambient climate of the tent is important. Also while the tents aren't super stealthy...and none of it is unless you are super creative...if someone accidently opens a bedroom door for half a minute it isn't the full blown effect of bright lights and greenage right there....just might avert some probs there...

Anyone have any issues of condensation or excess moisture when lights go out? I don't believe in completely sealed environments as they have drawbacks. Sometime the room just has to 'breathe' a bit. But with that comes smell leakage and opportunity for bugs/contams to enter. Seems to me if the parameters can be dialed in on tents it is the easiest way to set up and tear down if need be and get it done.

Been a while since I've played with higher #'s in a scrog too....what's out there these days that stays short and does well in the tents in about 8 weeks?

BTW...i'm looking at tents that hopefully open from 2 sides. I know our comfy reach is about 2' so if it's a 4' tray ya got a problem. I'm taking that into consideration. Really looking to see if any of you hate the things because of the restrictions or heat /humidity problems. I'm looking to make things mobile and able to move swift.... :D

Hank

Hank

Hi Blue I just bought a Gorilla grow tent that comes with a extention 5′ x 5′ x 6′ 11″ (w/ ext. 7′ 11″)
I just got it today look great just make sure you have the height.

Fasheeryfo

Fasheeryfo

Thanks for the input! Big advantage I see is ease of putting up and breaking down. And the ability of working just in the micro climate of the tent rather than the whole room....although the ambient climate of the tent is important. Also while the tents aren't super stealthy...and none of it is unless you are super creative...if someone accidently opens a bedroom door for half a minute it isn't the full blown effect of bright lights and greenage right there....just might avert some probs there...

Anyone have any issues of condensation or excess moisture when lights go out? I don't believe in completely sealed environments as they have drawbacks. Sometime the room just has to 'breathe' a bit. But with that comes smell leakage and opportunity for bugs/contams to enter. Seems to me if the parameters can be dialed in on tents it is the easiest way to set up and tear down if need be and get it done.

Been a while since I've played with higher #'s in a scrog too....what's out there these days that stays short and does well in the tents in about 8 weeks?

BTW...i'm looking at tents that hopefully open from 2 sides. I know our comfy reach is about 2' so if it's a 4' tray ya got a problem. I'm taking that into consideration. Really looking to see if any of you hate the things because of the restrictions or heat /humidity problems. I'm looking to make things mobile and able to move swift.... :D
I hated mine, I grew 6 plants in a 4x4 and it sucked to maintain. I don't honestly think it's faster to break down than a room, in fact it's one more piece of equipment to move after you take everything out of it... you could move everything in the tent with it up but I really don't see that going well, I almost tried it. I had the secret jardin 1500 I think with door in front, 2 side windows and a bunch of ports for fans and cords. if you look on my grow diary Apollo 11 you can see it. After the 6 plants harvested I put 4 in there for a little while and they grew accustomed to the tent supporting them and were all floppy and shit from the back pressure from fans when I zipped it up. the sides of the tent would suck in and push the plants around, humidity got pretty high, got dirty, kept the smell in pretty good ( I had a carbon filter also) my friend is going to do a single plant in it now, I don't really want to use it. hope this helps, sorry it is so negative... it really wasn't THAT bad it served it's purpose but it wasn't ideal

P

paulycali

Quick and easy to setup and take down

That's it really

silverhaze

silverhaze

One con I have found are the plastic light rail clips are often pretty cheap. If your light rails connect to the frame with plastic connectors/clips, you should reinforce them. They get brittle over time. I had one break and the light fell taking out three plants. Fortunately it was dark and I caught it before any disasters.

O

oldschooltofu

i was in a 4x4 last winter, and upgrading to a 4x8 this week
tents are the best thing ever. for quickly constructing a room quickly.

i am using co2 tank with a sentinal chh4. today i just got a 30pt dehum, and i finally dont need to exhause to lower humidity. i tried the eva dry small units last year with 70%+ humidity readings. the 30pt took it down to 50 in less than half an hour in the 4x4, so it should be great for the 4x8.

i will say 6 plants in a 4x4 in 4 gal pots is where i maxed out. gonna try to do 10-12 in 4x8 with 2 600s in 7 gal pots, mainlining 8 colas per.

cooling and humidity control are all going to vary based on where you put the tent, mine are in a garage, and with PNW winters i dont have to turn on the cooling fans between nov and feb. humiditity is what i had to deal with.

420Gator

420Gator

Ive never grown in a tent but if I was going to Id deff build my own. Im no handy man but they seem pretty simple to construct and youd end up with a higher quality product for way less. completely customizeable too.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Ive never grown in a tent but if I was going to Id deff build my own. Im no handy man but they seem pretty simple to construct and youd end up with a higher quality product for way less. completely customizeable too.

My experience with tents has made it hard-pressed for me to justify building anything. I spent $250 on 10'x4' of grow tent space that is made for easy setup, take down, and cleaning and has every thing built into that you need, venting, places to hang things, a removable floor for easy cleaning, reflective walls, etc. . . If I was working super efficiently it would take me a few days and about as much money to build a grow space with all that stuff built in, not to mention it probably would not be easily contstructed/deconstructed or portable.

outwest

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I'd really like to better understand the best approach for adding co2 enrichment to my tent.

I know it's not a sealed environment, but my thinking is to bring up and maintain co2 levels while all the fans are off (except for sealed hood exhaust), and cycle fans and co2 on and off accordingly using a controller. I'm pretty sure I can keep temps I'm check while the tent is not being exhausted. Next on the list I guess.

outwest

catdaddy

catdaddy

My experience with tents has made it hard-pressed for me to justify building anything. I spent $250 on 10'x4' of grow tent space that is made for easy setup, take down, and cleaning and has every thing built into that you need, venting, places to hang things, a removable floor for easy cleaning, reflective walls, etc. . . If I was working super efficiently it would take me a few days and about as much money to build a grow space with all that stuff built in, not to mention it probably would not be easily contstructed/deconstructed or portable.

outwest
have to agree with Outwest on this one. being that prices for tents has went down a lot, it wouldn't be worth building one from scratch. it only take minutes to put up and take down and if your tent comes with the bottom tray (greners neglected to add mines) it could easily be cleaned out.
one negative i see is that you cant place to many equipment on the top bars, and could be a little tricky trying to maintain your environment during certain seasons.

420Gator

420Gator

outwest
well fuck me then, thought they were more than that

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
have to agree with Outwest on this one. being that prices for tents has went down a lot, it wouldn't be worth building one from scratch. it only take minutes to put up and take down and if your tent comes with the bottom tray (greners neglected to add mines) it could easily be cleaned out.
one negative i see is that you cant place to many equipment on the top bars, and could be a little tricky trying to maintain your environment during certain seasons.

But you can hang anything! Make sure your tent has metal corners and not plastic ones and don't overdo it with hanging items.

outwest

catdaddy

catdaddy

But you can hang anything! Make sure your tent has metal corners and not plastic ones and don't overdo it with hanging items.

outwest
hmmm, never knew they made tents with metal corners. both of mines have plastic corners, i knew i should have done more research before i purchased any tents. thanks for info.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Not to give you more worries, but another grower at the farm had his tent collapse because the corners cracked. Maybe worth trying to figure out how to reinforce the corners. Maybe wrapping the corner extensively with duct tape but not taping in the pole.

outwest

Top Bottom