Tent or built room ?

• Thread starter freegrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
have a garage with window unit ac . now I can buy a tent for about the same as wood drywall etc.
built room would be bigger
but I would like to be stealty about
now the built room could be made to look like a recording studio with a recording sign but tent can be broken down stored along with plant in say 3 hours looking for tent users opinions and room builders too with the tent I also have to cut a hole in it for ac +rep for help:hi

Og420

Og420

im gonna be getting a tent soon, well possibly, torn between building a cab outta some furniture ( keeping it more stealth than a tent) or buying a tent and setting it up in a spare room. if i could get away with it id build a room though, have a ton of extra space to play with, as for cutting a hole in a tent for ac most of them seem to be prity well equipped with holes, couldnt you just use ducting? ( i have no idea about ac's and all there different types, in the uk if you wanna get cold, you just open a window lol)

J

JAHGYDI

i had to build a room for my tent in the garage. enviroment was hard to control just in garage. i also had bug issues with garage being opened at all. i built a lung room for my tents out of 2x3s, plywood and panda plastic.

G

grnmountainboy

if you get an air cooled lighting system you wont need to cut holes. most tents come with the holes for air cooled lights already in them. then as long as you keep the air around the tent around the temp you want (and with an inline fan or blower for an intake for the tent) you shouldn't have a problem with heat at all. i hate having to run an ac they are hell on the electric bill. using an air cooled light will more then pay for itself later on. when i upgraded to an air cooled light i started saving so much on my electric bill that it allowed me to set up another smaller tent to veg in.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
a window unit has a thermostat on the front and if it is not in the room being cooled than the temp wil not be controlable . havent seen tents with square holes in them for window units the normal ducting hookups wont work and I have to have ac I am runing 2 600w HPS and 1 600w MH thanks for replys

BCrocker

BCrocker

have a garage with window unit ac . now I can buy a tent for about the same as wood drywall etc.
built room would be bigger
but I would like to be stealty about
now the built room could be made to look like a recording studio with a recording sign but tent can be broken down stored along with plant in say 3 hours looking for tent users opinions and room builders too with the tent I also have to cut a hole in it for ac +rep for help:hi

I have used both. I wouldn't even bother with the drywall. Build a room instead the garage. Build 2x4 walls 1" from the garage walls/drywall or whatever is up. 6 mil clear poly it, 6mil black/white poly, and you're good to go. Or can you do a tent, it's quick and easy. Honestly, both have their pros and cons. I recently removed a tent to replace it with 2x4 framing as we needed to enlarge the room.

hiboy

hiboy

Drywall and paint is a pain but so nice,, hard walls so you can lean against, and not fall thru. Plus when u paint , caulk seal all corners for a total seal your air tite.. Also temps are maintained so much easier.
h

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
Drywall and paint is a pain but so nice,, hard walls so you can lean against, and not fall thru. Plus when u paint , caulk seal all corners for a total seal your air tite.. Also temps are maintained so much easier.
h

this is exactly what is keeping me on the fence and why I posted the thread ...I caulk for light tight also. I have already bought all the wood drywall and a steel light tight ( exterior) door but my concern is just moved here 2 months ago and everything seems fine land lord dont bother me yet . honestly I think I am just worring too much I should just build the room and keep the inside morphable ( is that a word lol) so if the need arises it can be converted to a studio or smooking room will make decision to day

thanks all :bow:bow:bow

O

Once

tents are easy to build and tear down quickly if need be. a 50' x 10' roll of 6mil poly plastic is around 50 bucks, a tarp stick on zipper around 8 bucks and the frame can be built with 2" x 3"s or 2" x 2"s. not a very expensive venture and quickly disposed of as well

M

mrbong73

h

Not to mention you can insulate the walls and have studs to hang equipment on.
I use a tent in my garage but would love to have a built in room.
Metal studs are way easier to work with imo. quiter too. no saws or hammers.

Kaiser Sose

Kaiser Sose

I had the same choice. I went with the build out myself. I have the last wall I needed built and sheetrocking it this weekend. I will then use the reflective insulation on the inside and will also insulat the backside to get the best control of heat/cold. I then am cutting a hole in the roof for exhaust and putting in a 4" fan with a charcoal canister filter. I will be running 1000w hps and mh lights on a whirlygig light mover. In one corner I will be using the Jump Start T5 lights for clones and seedlings. all of which will be on timers. Last equip I need is buckets pumps and filter and fan.
Just my 2 cents...

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter

dude that ac stand in your tent thread is bad ass never would have thought of useing the door like that .....nice work

P

Producer

a window unit has a thermostat on the front and if it is not in the room being cooled than the temp wil not be controlable . havent seen tents with square holes in them for window units the normal ducting hookups wont work and I have to have ac I am runing 2 600w HPS and 1 600w MH thanks for replys

If you do decide to go with a tent, an alternative to cutting a square hole in the side for your AC would be to just have a wireless thermostat on the inside of the tent and have your power plugged to that. That way you can still have the AC mounted to a window and have the cold air going into the tent through one of the existing holes with duct work. But your power will have to be drawn from the wireless thermostat from inside the tent as well.
So you plug in your thermostat into the power bar, and then plug your AC into that. Whenever your temperature reaches what you've set it at it will kick on or off accordingly.

There's a link. Save your tent. Dont cut holes if you dont have to.

If you do decide to build a room though i'd have to agree with Mr.Bong.
Metal studs are the way to go. Only need a pair of tin snips and some zip screws. No saw dust everywhere or saws and hammers.
Good tip MrBong.

M

mrbong73

dude that ac stand in your tent thread is bad ass never would have thought of useing the door like that .....nice work

Thanks. My tent has a big door and two windows so I just used one of the windows for the ac. No holes.
If you build walls you could hang drywall on the inside only. Just insulate and wrap with plastic on the outside. Saves a little time and money.
Just a thought.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

If u got the space I would build a room better cuz u will have lots more room.. A tent is cool but u will run out of room real fast.. I use a tent cuz I couldn't build a room.. If I could of built a room I would of did that way better then a tent in my book..

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
Iv done both and I definitely prefer built rooms. Tents work good for small mom rooms and preveg. IMO.

P

Producer

i'd have to agree.
If I had the option I would also just retro fit a room to accomodate.
Way more room and space. Dont get me wrong! I love tents, but there's only so much you can do with them.

Top Bottom