Tent, Trailer or Container?

• Thread starter Santa Claus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Santa Claus

Hello all....I've been studying this site for about a year getting as much education as possible. Just got my card and am finally ready to start farming.

I can't grow at home as I'm renting and the power can't handle it, so I'm going to do it in my warehouse. I have lots of room back there and unlimited power 1400amps, so anything goes...almost anything. Zoning and permits keep me from putting any extra walls up and just incase the fire marshall wants to inspect, I feel better about something a little less permanent. Yes, I'll be legit, but I'd rather not mess with it. My future plans would be to expand and become a caregiver, but let's not get ahead of ourselves..:party0023:

To all you experienced growers please chime in with your thoughts (for now my budget allows for all of them within reason - around 20K +/-)
I will be going with a UC system and would like to do a sealed room, or close to it with vertical lights for max yield/minimum plants. All these options will be designated to flower.

Trailer
8.5' Wide/ 9' High / 32' Long
I would start with one build up and expand from there.
Benefits: Unplug it and tow it out, totally sealed environment, Looks like it belongs in the warehouse
Cons: A little more expensive, but not by much.

Container
8' Wide/ 10' High / 20' Long
Can't fit the 40 so I'd go with 2 of them
Benefits: Contained environment, Looks like it belongs there
Cons: Hard to move once it's in, not quite as sealed as the trailer but this could be fixed, shorter in length (can't fit the 40)

Tent
10' Wide/ 7' Hight / 20' Long (expandble)
Benefits: Expandable, Cost Effective, Good Resale, Quicker to get up and going as a trailer or container will take quite a bit of modifications and time to do it right.
Cons: Harder to totally seal, Shorter ceilings for vertical lighting -however it can be done with the right strain, A pain in the arss if I had to break down.
My favorite idea is the trailer BUT am thinking of starting with a tent. This would be the quickest and least expensive to get up and running and then after I get a couple of grows under my belt, I could build up a couple of sweet 30' trailers.

So that's what I'm thinking....How am I doing so far? Any other ideas...thoughts.

U

UCtestn

I would divert the money from the UC and chiller to a trailer, but I'm biased ;-)

Plug and go! When shopping for a trailer try to get one that has at least one A/C already. If you're going to have one built, make sure you get it insulated and the A/C's pre-installed. You could get the trailer financed with 33% down and potentially lower your CAPEX.

I would not do a container if you are worried about moving it... but if it's just because of the fire inspections, removing the power to it on inspection day is good enough. It's just storage and you don't have the key handy if asked. Unfortunately, if it's stinking or hot that day... things could get weird.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

My next grow is going to use insulated walk in refrigerator panels, they can go up in an instant, offer a mass level of R values and the doors seal like no other. Plus they are fairly cheap if you buy them used from a restaurant supply store. Looked at a 10 x 20 for $5k which is about on par with a container or large scale tent..

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

My next grow is going to use insulated walk in refrigerator panels, they can go up in an instant, offer a mass level of R values and the doors seal like no other. Plus they are fairly cheap if you buy them used from a restaurant supply store. Looked at a 10 x 20 for $5k which is about on par with a container or large scale tent..
Very smart idea,I have also looked at these,easy to assemble/disaasemble too!

S

Santa Claus

UCMinow - Thanks for a fourth option and that's a great idea. I'm also in Cali - could you recommend a company to go through on these? Also, couldn't you tweek the thermostat and use the existing refrigeration unit as an A/C?? Thanks, SC

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

UCMinow - Thanks for a fourth option and that's a great idea. I'm also in Cali - could you recommend a company to go through on these? Also, couldn't you tweek the thermostat and use the existing refrigeration unit as an A/C?? Thanks, SC

Not likely. Won't have enough cooling capacity. I am an HVAC guy. Need 4000-6000 btus/hr per 1 kw of light. A walk-in cooler of those dimensions would only do a few lights at best. I would need a model number of existing unit for refrigeration unit to tell exactly how many lights it could do. Check with a company called RSD which is all over California. If you need more info on them PM me. Be careful buying used because the cams that lock them together can be a bitch on older units. Also inspect and make sure no water damage happened to panels and all the metal is intact (no holes). Good luck

squarepusher

squarepusher

is there any way to use a combination of A/C's and Evaporative Coolers to save energy?

H

Hydrostatic

What size container is that in those pics? How many lights/Plants? And what kind of numbers do you pull out of there with that setup and pot size?

C

calbunn

I helped set up a room in an 'AS IS' 40ft cargo containers and it worked pretty well but it's a good idea to put them under an awning or even some large trees. The sun hitting the tops of these is a killer on the AC. But secure as hell.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

God,what are you using to cut through those containers?I use a plasma cutter and its like butter!

BNUTTHEHUT

BNUTTHEHUT

GOD, what are those fans called? I have been looking for something like that forever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom