Terra Preta........... What Another Soil Type???

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

My impulse tells me to throw biochar in compost piles that worms run away from

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Thats what I'm thinking it would be a good way to pre-infuse the char with some organic natural nutes and excudes from the compost pile. They actually mention that somewhere I was reading today. That gives the char a good headstart while the natural process of decompostion takes care of the rest.

phoenixfire

phoenixfire

Encouraging Earthworms into Gardens & Pastures

Earthworms prefer pH levels of 6.5 to 7.5. Dolomite lime is a calcium magnesium additive to help maintain the pH balance. Soil tests are an option to detect specific mineral deficiencies and imbalances. Organic rock phosphate, seaweed and fish extract organic fertilisers give good results, but more importantly is the continual use of organic matter such as chicken manure or compost.

Using deep rooting pasture plants such as red clover, chicory, docks or cocks foot help retain moisture during dry spells, yet encouraging the earthworms to remain active.

Earthworms will migrate if there is a lack of organic matter present, so apply compost, blood and bone plus other ingredients like untreated wood ash and lime to ensure the worms willingness to continue making improvements to the soil structure.

To aim for a balance of trace elements within home made compost, use a nitrogen/carbon ratio of around 1:30 and use natural additives such as comfrey, borage, nettle and seaweed which will help achieve the right balance of nutrients in the garden soil, therefore producing healthy flowers and vegetables.

Moisture levels are retained when vermicast and compost are applied. Using mulch on the surface acts as a weed suppressor.

phoenixfire

phoenixfire

Report on my most recent "research":

Biochar can take as long as a year to "charge" or get "innoculated" or "seed" -- these are the words used to mean that the char goes from being full of holes (created by burning stuff out) to being full of water and microbes. Optimally, as I am presently understanding it, one wants the char right at the roots of the plant. A purveyor posted a picture of a worm tunnel through some char intending to show that the wormed liked it. When char is still fresh, not charged, it is taking in water and nutrients and can slow plant growth.
Source available: it's long.

phoenixfire

phoenixfire

Sounds almost to good to be true. I'm Going to experiment in moderation.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Report on my most recent "research":

Biochar can take as long as a year to "charge" or get "innoculated" or "seed" -- these are the words used to mean that the char goes from being full of holes (created by burning stuff out) to being full of water and microbes. Optimally, as I am presently understanding it, one wants the char right at the roots of the plant. A purveyor posted a picture of a worm tunnel through some char intending to show that the wormed liked it. When char is still fresh, not charged, it is taking in water and nutrients and can slow plant growth.
Source available: it's long.

@phoenixfire .......Yes that is one drawback if you want to use BC right away. It can act as a nutrient sink and rob the rhizosphere of available nutes. A good way around that would be to use the BC as a filler additive to your compost pile so that it is pre charged by the time you use it.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
The Japanese did it, too, IIRC.
I find it amusing in a sad way that we have always considered ourselves superior/smarter than the indigenous peoples in the lands we occupied. They even 2500 years ago understood the web of life and how everything is connected. Now 2500 years later we think we are making all these discoveries, when really all we are doing is recreating a wheel that was already known and in place. WOW

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

Cook the char with the soil to charge it in soil. Filter bag the char to charge it in an aact if looking to use immediately imo. Im just begining to experiment with old carbon filter pellets, not as optimal as its been already used but its something.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ah, but the used carbon could be considered to be precharged. ,

Latest posts

Top Bottom