Testing- Thc, Cbd, And Them Terps

• Thread starter Dunge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dunge

Dunge

My education has informed my suspicions on the accuracy of cannabis test reports.
But, testing has been going on for long enough to be "big data".
My first question is: How consistent is the same clone, when grown in a variety of methods and taken to different flower times?
Does the terpin profile change, or is it like a finger print.
Are there any other "finger prints"?
The list goes on and on.

Are there any testing associations or "best practices" organizations that might take on such an analysis?
These reports may already exist.
Let's see some. (Or speculate freely. This is a forum after all)

S

smoothbud

I really do not understand your question, given that all strains exibit test result variation even when grown by the same grower with the same equipment and the same lighting,temp, humidity, CO2 and nutrient regimen. There is no "fingerprint on terpins". There are strong tendencies. In fact if you grow 9 clones from the same mother plant under the same light with very consistent training techniques and test them all you will find variation and will not find 2 plants that test exactly the same. You will find plants with consistent tendencies, that tend to test within a specific range when grown under similar; conditions THCA can vary by 5 % on the same cut, 20-25%(which is actually a 25% variance) and the same variances are seen across the board for all terpins and canibinoids. Cut A that ranges 20-25% is said to be stronger than a Cut B that ranges from 18-23%. Though the lower testing variety will test higher at times but still within its range (cut B 22% while cut A tests at 21%). Very small differences in a grow can make a change in profiles and not all of them are understood at this time. I will also add that to be significant all tests should be done at the same lab. There will be differences lab to lab. Its kind of like dyno testing an engine to see what benefit a part swap has given you, you must keep in mind that the same vehicle can test at 400 rwhp at dyno A and 410 rwhp at dyno B, so if you want to see which muffler gives you the most HP you test on the same dyno.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
My education has informed my suspicions on the accuracy of cannabis test reports.
But, testing has been going on for long enough to be "big data".
My first question is: How consistent is the same clone, when grown in a variety of methods and taken to different flower times?
Does the terpin profile change, or is it like a finger print.
Are there any other "finger prints"?
The list goes on and on.

Are there any testing associations or "best practices" organizations that might take on such an analysis?
These reports may already exist.
Let's see some. (Or speculate freely. This is a forum after all)
I recall babaG and I think TexasKid saying that they've taken several samples of the same product (same plant an' ever'thang) packaged separately, to the SAME lab, and gotten rather different results.

The issue I land on is a lack of P&P here, so I'm not sure your other questions can really be answered when we cannot definitively state that labs themselves are consistent.

Ya dig?

S

smoothbud

There will be variance when testing any organic material. The odds of picking 2 buds from the same plant that have the exact profile is slim. Organic chemist strife to tighten the range on products but know that exact replication will not occur.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, but how large a variance can actually be expected?

S

smoothbud

On thca I have seen 3% from different parts of the same plant. On buds that are right next to each other on the same branch which appear very similar, more like within 1/2 % thca. If you and a buddy have a grow off and your plants test within 1/2% of each other I would call it a tie

S

smoothbud

I test every harvest from my room, I need to have a significantly higher test to conclude I have made a positive change, OR I need to have several tests results( like 3 harvests in a row testing 1% higher than before) which are 1% higher to conclude a changed outcome occurred. It is so easy to just select a better bud than last time for the test. At High times cannabiss cup they try to select an "average bud from the sample, not the best or worst. it is still open to influence by the sample selection. nobody wants to grind up a lb and thoroughly blend it before taking out a sample LOL.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What's your preferred laboratory or testing method, if you don't mind sharing that information?

S

smoothbud

What's your preferred laboratory or testing method, if you don't mind sharing that information?
I use HPLC however I am not saying that it is the best. I know and trust the guy that runs this business and does the testing. When he tells me that he always establishes a baseline before testing I believe him. I also trust his cleanliness with his equipment. This makes the test accurate. I have a sister(PHD in organic chemistry) that oversees a lab which does quality control testing for a very large corporation. She has convinced me that more than 1 method is really more than adequate,so long as proper procedures are followed diligently. The biggest issues which lead to inconsistency are related to work ethics of the people running the test. Kind of like checking the calibration of a PH meter. This guy would be calibrating for every batch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom