TEXAS HEAT WAVE BALLAST: Deal or No Deal?

• Thread starter TheSeedstress
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheSeedstress

Salutations!

I've done the book research, supplemented with all of the great info on the Farm, and have started the decision making process on the pieces of equipment to use for my first grow.

I came across this brand of Ballast at an online hydro store: TEXAS HEAT WAVE BALLAST. ().. Supposedly, you can run two lights off of one ballast. I want to run 3 1000W MH in veg and 3 1000W HPS in flower (XXXL hoods) inside a GrowLab GL240 (7x7).

Its notable features are:

"1) Flower Power Relay: Is a flip flop relay built in your ballast..2 bulbs from one ballast!!!

2) Light Saver: Is a 15 min power on delay.
SAVE your TOP dollar bulbs comes with power led indicator lights "

Are these standard features of a ballast? The price is $425, which is lower than 2 digital ballasts. Is this too good to be true?

I thank you for any reply =)

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
Sounds like the flip flop Is to run 2 bulbs meaning you could run 1 for 12 hours then the other for 12 hours but not at the same time? I would stick to the harvest pros or Quantom...JACK

P

PureSugar

"1) Flower Power Relay: Is a flip flop relay built in your ballast..2 bulbs from one ballast!!!

I'm not sure from your post if you plan to run 2 tents with 3k or 1 tent switching from MH to HPS for flower... but I just want to be sure you know that that flip flop means you can run 2 bulbs but NOT at the same time. It's for 2 room setups..when the lights go off in one room the power gets "flipped" to the other room. Both rooms have to be flowering so I don't think this is what you are looking for.

I actually think faster starts (strike) improve lamp life. Maybe one of the electric gurus can chime in here..

Are these standard features of a ballast? The price is $425, which is lower than 2 digital ballasts. Is this too good to be true?

No a flip flop relay is not standard in most ballasts. You need a seperate ballast for every light you want to run simultaneously.

T

TheSeedstress

Thank you very much! I went with the Harvest Pro =)

---
Two steps closer to tomatoes

true grit

true grit

Harvest Pro Elites like what...XXXL's....Agro Red's...Ostbergs...and you are set. Doubt you will need more than 1-2k veg. I would still do 2 tents, one smaller for veg such as 5x5 or 4x8 and the 240 for flower with about 4k in it. That gl240 is right at 8x8 so plan on a 1k for every 4x4 of flowering space. Wouldn't do more than 1k MH per 5x5 or so. Some cats that wanna cover more space just veg under 3-4 400w's or just roll with t-5s? with less temp issues and lights closer to plants... just a thought. Your tent choice for veg/flower will really determine your light set-up. Then from there you can work on ventilation/temp control....

L

Lost

Salutations!

I've done the book research, supplemented with all of the great info on the Farm, and have started the decision making process on the pieces of equipment to use for my first grow.

I came across this brand of Ballast at an online hydro store: TEXAS HEAT WAVE BALLAST. ().. Supposedly, you can run two lights off of one ballast. I want to run 3 1000W MH in veg and 3 1000W HPS in flower (XXXL hoods) inside a GrowLab GL240 (7x7).

A budget grow ballast is 139, or 154 at your local hydro store.For 450, you can buy 3 for the price of the fancy one.. And a flip costs about 125..

B

billybadazz

just my .02 but I saw you were running 3k in each room, personally I would run 5k in flower (12 hrs power vs. 18 hrs ) and 1k mh in veg room with possible t5 supplemental if need be. in the end 5 k flower will save money on power and up yield but thats just my devious mind at work....

true grit

true grit

Yeah but 5 XXXL's won't fit comfortably in a GL240 I don't believe... You could run 5-6 SuperSun2's with great results and ample space for them and efficient ducting though....

Latest posts

Top Bottom