• Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Texas-Flag2014-thumb-565x337.gif

High Court: Warrantless DWI Blood Draws Are Unconstitutional

Just in time for the holiday weekend, the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals has upheld a lower court's ruling that warrantless blood-drawing in DWI cases is unconstitutional.

In a split 5-4 decision Wednesday, the majority justices disagreed with prosecutors' argument that driving on Texas roads is a privilege -- not a right -- and that "the driving public" is presumed to have read the statute outlining no-refusal blood draws. (We must say, there are plenty of roads in Houston that don't really feel like a "privilege" to drive on.)

The case stemmed from felony DWI charges against a Neuces County nuisance named David Villarreal, who was stopped for suspicion of DWI and found to have "multiple prior convictions" for DWI as well.

The arresting officer argued at an evidentiary hearing that he did not believe he had to obtain a warrant to draw Villareal's blood "in light of the mandatory-blood-draw provision" in the Texas Transportation Code that requires a blood or breath sample anytime someone's been convicted of at least two prior DWIs.

But the majority justices found that the Code's provisions "do not, taken by themselves, form a constitutionally valid alternative to the Fourth Amendment warrant requirement."

The lesson from this ruling is clear: you might want to stay off the streets when Villareal's behind the wheel.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
What the fuck they wanted to take peoples blood without a warrent?!

When i got my DUI the cop first asked me if i even wanted to take a field sobriety test ( warning me if i said no its a 500 fine and automatic cuffs )

Then came the Blow into this or else your ass is going to jail.

Then again at the jail blow into this. Theres no blood drawn, and no reason TO draw blood in a DUI case.. WTF?

Texas is fucked up! So is florida.. And Missouri but only cause ive lived there so i get to hate.

DismalDude

DismalDude

Yes,these are no refusal checkpoints.If you refuse a blood test they will strap you down and take it.Texas now found the law unconstitutional but hasn't stopped them as of yet.This is just a taste of what's coming.
I personally believe that anyway.I'm also a believer in the NWO and other theories as well.Since 911 they've changed the entire story with building 7 and the sheeple are buying it.It truly befuddles my mind...

shesatoker

shesatoker

I wouldnt let them stick me, they probably use recycled needles, I would be scared they were trying give me a disease. They do that in africa, under the guise of health care.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
you mean they draw blood with no evidence of impairment?
@CalyxSmokr Yes they do. However the Supreme Court in 2013 ruled that this is a 4th amndment violation. It gives us "We the People" minimal protection from this invasive procedure...... See below.
What I mean by that is, they acknowledge it is intrusive but they cops are still left with the latitude to come up with imaginary shit that allow this shit to happen. Sort of like the ambiguous probable cause crap they pull. Worse yet there have been reports coming thru that people have actually been subjected to forced anal cavity searches. And no not by aliens either. So as most of America feels safer now after 9/11, I hope that those that feel safer are happy with the rights we forfeited by allowing the "Patriot Act" to come in to play. Hardly worth the price tag.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887323309604578428572996551256

Court: Police Can't Force Blood Tests

WASHINGTON—The Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that police can't force a drunken driving suspect to submit to a blood draw unless they have a warrant or can show an urgent need to act without one.

The 8-1 opinion rejected a position backed by the Obama administration and nearly three dozen states that argued the natural dissipation of alcohol from the bloodstream automatically created "exigent circumstances" that excuse police from the obligation of obtaining a warrant.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote the majority opinion, holding that drawing blood for an alcohol test is subject to the standard applied to warrantless searches: The "totality of the circumstances" determines whether police action violates the Fourth Amendment, which prohibits "unreasonable searches and seizures."

Justice Sotomayor said there was no need to depart from that standard, which focuses on the specific facts confronting the officer, rather than giving police blanket authority to draw blood from unwilling suspects.

"Any compelled intrusion into the human body implicates significant, constitutionally protected privacy interests," she wrote. And while the court has significantly relaxed Fourth Amendment protections when police search a motor vehicle, she said a motorist retains a "privacy interest in preventing an agent of the government from piercing his skin."

The ruling, which affirms Missouri state court holdings in the case, underscores a standard that has been applied to blood draws for decades.

In a 1966 precedent, the high court ruled that, based on the circumstances—the officer was busy investigating a traffic accident and transporting an injured suspect to the hospital—he was excused from the warrant requirement. Obtaining a warrant would have taken additional time, during which evidence of the suspect's intoxication might disappear entirely.

Although all but one of the justices agreed on the outcome, they split into factions over what factors should determine when police can draw blood from an unwilling suspect without a magistrate's approval.

Justices Antonin Scalia, Anthony Kennedy, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Elena Kagan joined the opinion in whole or in part.

Chief Justice John Roberts, joining Justices Stephen Breyer and Samuel Alito, would have been somewhat more deferential to police, writing that officers should be excused from the warrant rule when they believe they couldn't get authorization before "critical evidence" in the suspect's bloodstream dissipates.

Justice Clarence Thomas dissented, writing that since "the human liver eliminates alcohol from the bloodstream at a rate of approximately 0.015% to 0.020% per hour," every drunken driving arrest automatically is an exigent circumstance.

The case came from Cape Girardeau County, Mo., where early on Oct. 3, 2010, Tyler McNeely was pulled over in a Ford F-150 for speeding. Mr. McNeely admitted having a few beers, but refused to blow into a breathalyzer or allow his blood to be drawn.

State Highway Patrol Cpl. Mark Winder, brought a handcuffed Mr. McNeely to a hospital for a forcible blood draw, which showed a blood alcohol level nearly twice the legal limit of 0.08%.

Cpl. Winder later testified at the trial that he had no difficulty obtaining warrants to draw blood in previous instances but had read an article indicating Missouri law no longer required warrants for such cases.

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Surprise! Controversial Patriot Act power now overwhelmingly used in drug investigations

One of the more controversial provisions of the Patriot Act was to broaden the “sneak-and-peek” power for federal law enforcement officials. The provision allows investigators to conduct searches without informing the target of the search. We were assured at the time that this was an essential law enforcement tool that would be used only to protect the country from terrorism. Supporters argued that it was critical that investigators be allowed to look into the lives and finances of suspected terrorists without tipping off those terrorists to the fact that they were under investigation.

Civil libertarian critics warned that the federal government already had this power for national security investigations. The Patriot Act provision was far too broad and would almost certainly become a common tactic in cases that have nothing to do with national security.

But this was all immediately after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, and there was little patience for civil libertarians. The massive Patriot Act of course passed overwhelmingly, including the sneak-and-peek provision, despite the fact that only a handful of members of Congress had actually read it. (Not to mention the public.)

More than a decade later, the Electronic Frontier Foundation has published an analysis on use of the sneak-and-peek power. Just as critics predicted, it’s now a ubiquitous part of federal law enforcement.

Law enforcement made 47 sneak-and-peek searches nationwide from September 2001 to April 2003. The 2010 report reveals 3,970 total requests were processed. Within three years that number jumped to 11,129. That’s an increase of over 7,000 requests. Exactly what privacy advocates argued in 2001 is happening: sneak and peak warrants are not just being used in exceptional circumstances—which was their original intent—but as an everyday investigative tool.

And as critics predicted, it is overwhelmingly used in cases that have nothing to do with terrorism. But even if you’re a cynic, it’s pretty shocking just how little the power is used in terrorism investigations.

Out of the 3,970 total requests from October 1, 2009 to September 30, 2010, 3,034 were for narcotics cases and only 37 for terrorism cases (about .9%). Since then, the numbers get worse. The 2011 report reveals a total of 6,775 requests. 5,093 were used for drugs, while only 31 (or .5%) were used for terrorism cases. The 2012 report follows a similar pattern: Only .6%, or 58 requests, dealt with terrorism cases. The 2013 report confirms the incredibly low numbers. Out of 11,129 reports only 51, or .5%, of requests were used for terrorism. The majority of requests were overwhelmingly for narcotics cases, which tapped out at 9,401 requests.

So since the Patriot Act passed, the number of of sneak-and-peeks each year has grown from about 16 per year to over 11,000 in 2013. Meanwhile, not only have the number of sneak-and-peek investigations unrelated to terrorism increased on a massive scale, the percentage of sneak-and-peeks that have anything to do with terrorism continues to drop. In other words, sneak-and-peek is increasingly ubiquitous while the justification for granting the government this power in the first place — terrorism — is not only irrelevant to the tactic’s increasing pervasiveness, it gets more irrelevant every year.

Lots of lessons here. A few that immediately come to mind:

• Washington establishment types are often dismissive and derisive of the idea that members of Congress should actually be required to read legislation before voting on it — or at the very least be given the time to read it. There’s also a lot of Beltway scorn for demands that bills be concise, limited in scope and open for public comment in their final form for days or weeks before they’re voted on. If you’re looking for evidence showing why the smug consensus is wrong, here is Exhibit A.
  • This is also an argument against rashly legislating in a time of crisis. On Sept. 11, 2001, the federal government failed in most important and basic responsibility — to protect us from an attack. We responded by quickly giving the federal government a host of new powers.
  • Assume that any power you grant to the federal government to fight terrorism will inevitably be used in other contexts.
  • Assume that the primary “other context” will be to fight the war on drugs. (Here’s another example just from this month.) I happen to believe that the drug war is illegitimate. I think fighting terrorism is an entirely legitimate function of government. I also think that, in theory, there are some powers the federal government should have for terrorism investigations that I’m not comfortable granting it in more traditional criminal investigations. But I have zero confidence that there’s any way to grant those powers in a way that will limit their use to terrorism.
  • Law-and-order politicians and many (but not all) law enforcement and national security officials see the Bill of Rights not as the foundation of a free society but as an obstacle that prevents them from doing their jobs. Keep this in mind when they use a national emergency to argue for exceptions to those rights.
  • When critics point out the ways a new law might be abused, supporters of the law often accuse those critics of being cynical — they say we should have more faith in the judgment and propriety of public officials. Always assume that when a law grants new powers to the government, that law will be interpreted in the vaguest, most expansive, most pro-government manner imaginable. If that doesn’t happen, good. But why take the risk? Why leave open the possibility? Better to write laws narrowly, restrictively and with explicit safeguards against abuse.

DismalDude

DismalDude

I tell people all the time that they are not free because of the patriot act.They think I'm nuts but then don't even bother to read it.
I seriously thought George W. was going to declare martial law under the PA during his last term so that he could remain supreme leader.
Now I wonder if Obama will do it.The clause was put in there for something just like that to happen.We'll see...

CalyxSmokr

CalyxSmokr

That's crazy! I had no idea that they could stick you against your will? I gotta say, they'd be forced to use force on me... I would get a little aggressive in that situation
I can understand forcing a blood draw when the driver refuses a breathalyzer and fails a sobriety test as in alcohol intoxication. But it sounds like these states are going insane

G

Growingflmes

Yes the problem remains that they are abusing these laws, and as they do this more frequently it becomes more acceptable. Its crazy how congress can get away with passing bills that they haven't even read, and worst yet pass it before the bill is fully written! Its a psychology tactic; they start by taking a little at a time, and after time it becomes easier, and easier to give in to taking more of our freedoms until we have none.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Yes the problem remains that they are abusing these laws, and as they do this more frequently it becomes more acceptable. Its crazy how congress can get away with passing bills that they haven't even read, and worst yet pass it before the bill is fully written! Its a psychology tactic; they start by taking a little at a time, and after time it becomes easier, and easier to give in to taking more of our freedoms until we have none.
Yes sir, "For Freedom is But an Illusion" @Growingflmes mentioned it is a slow process where by "we" meaning at least some of America anyway, are willing to give up little freedoms and assaults on our civil rights over time. "Fear" is the govs # 1 tool to achieve this. Slowing but surely our rights are eroded and most folks don't even notice. The ones that do, are willing to accept this fact as it is packaged and presented that "we" Americans are safer for it. Media propaganda and the constant use of the word terrorism, terrorists, etc keep the fear going. Remember back to how George W. did what they referred to as "Galvanizing the Nation" The majority of America got on board and supported the invasion of Iraq because the wounds from 9/11 were open and fresh and it was a cinch to get most reasonable people to get on-board with this "act of war". It is a simple mind game that works. Keep everyone fearful and create a belief that the gov knows better and that they will protect us. All we have to do is give up some basic rights. Truth of the matter is, if we would get our foreign affairs in order and stop playing world cop we would be safer. The terrorist we need to watchful of are the ones "within" Ask yourselves this......... Why would anyone be ok with the fact that the "Patriot Act" has all but rendered useless our protections under the "Posse Comitatus Act" ?
Why be ok with the fact that now you or a loved one can be jailed and held without due process or trial indefinitely, for no reason other than you are believed to be a terrorist. This will come in handy when people become more and more vocal and outspoken with the way things are going in our Nation. Dissenters will be jailed under the auspice that they are connected with groups that are on a watch list. To some this sounds almost like a bad science fiction movie, but in reality this type of shit is already happening, most peeps just stick their head in the sand and wish it would go away. Where would we be today if our "Founding Fathers" and all of the mail clerks, blacksmiths, shop keepers and farmers had just stuck their head in the sand?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
The original provision was enacted as Section 15 of chapter 263, of the Acts of the 2nd session of the 45th Congress.

Sec. 15. From and after the passage of this act it shall not be lawful to employ any part of the Army of the United States, as a posse comitatus, or otherwise, for the purpose of executing the laws, except in such cases and under such circumstances as such employment of said force may be expressly authorized by the Constitution or by act of Congress ; and no money appropriated by this act shall be used to pay any of the expenses incurred in the employment of any troops in violation of this section and any person willfully violating the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction thereof shall be punished by fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars or imprisonment not exceeding two years or by both such fine and imprisonment[6]

The text of the relevant legislation is as follows:

18 U.S.C. § 1385. Use of Army and Air Force as posse comitatus
Whoever, except in cases and under circumstances expressly authorized by the Constitution or Act of Congress, willfully uses any part of the Army or the Air Force as a posse comitatus or otherwise to execute the laws shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.
Also notable is the following provision within Title 10 of the United States Code (which concerns generally the organization and regulation of the armed forces and Department of Defense):

10 U.S.C. § 375. Restriction on direct participation by military personnel
The Secretary of Defense shall prescribe such regulations as may be necessary to ensure that any activity (including the provision of any equipment or facility or the assignment or detail of any personnel) under this chapter does not include or permit direct participation by a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps in a search, seizure, arrest, or other similar activity unless participation in such activity by such member is otherwise authorized by law.
Recent legislative events[edit]
In 2006, Congress modified the Insurrection Act as part of the 2007 Defense Authorization Bill (repealed as of 2008). On September 26, 2006, President George W. Bush urged Congress to consider revising federal laws so that U.S. armed forces could restore public order and enforce laws in the aftermath of a natural disaster, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition. These changes were included in the John Warner National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2007 (H.R. 5122), which was signed into law on October 17, 2006.[7]

Section 1076 is titled "Use of the Armed Forces in major public emergencies." It provided that:

The President may employ the armed forces... to... restore public order and enforce the laws of the United States when, as a result of a natural disaster, epidemic, or other serious public health emergency, terrorist attack or incident, or other condition... the President determines that... domestic violence has occurred to such an extent that the constituted authorities of the State or possession are incapable of maintaining public order... or [to] suppress, in a State, any insurrection, domestic violence, unlawful combination, or conspiracy if such... a condition... so hinders the execution of the laws... that any part or class of its people is deprived of a right, privilege, immunity, or protection named in the Constitution and secured by law... or opposes or obstructs the execution of the laws of the United States or impedes the course of justice under those laws.[8]

In 2008, these changes in the Insurrection Act of 1807 were repealed in their entirety, reverting to the previous wording of the Insurrection Act.[9] It was originally written to limit Presidential power as much as possible in the event of insurrection, rebellion, or lawlessness.

In 2011, U.S. President Barack Obama signed National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 into law. Section 1021(b)(2) extended the definition of a "covered person", i.e., someone possibly subject to detention under this law, to include:

A person who was a part of or substantially supported al-Qaeda, the Taliban, or associated forces that are engaged in hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners, including any person who has committed a belligerent act or has directly supported such hostilities in aid of such enemy forces.[10]

Section 1021(e) purports to limit the scope of said authority with the text, "Nothing in this section shall be construed to affect existing law or authorities relating to the detention of United States citizens, lawful resident aliens of the United States, or any other persons who are captured or arrested in the United States."[11]

Exclusions and limitations[edit]
There are a number of situations in which the Act does not apply. These include:

Exclusion applicable to U.S. Coast Guard[edit]
See the Law Enforcement Detachments and Missions of the United States Coast Guard for more information on U.S. Coast Guard law enforcement activities.
Although it is an armed service,[12] the U.S. Coast Guard, which operates under the Department of Homeland Security, is not restricted by the Posse Comitatus Act. The Coast Guard enforces federal laws within its jurisdiction, even when operating as a service within the U.S. Navy.[5]

In December 1981, additional laws were enacted clarifying permissible military assistance to civilian law enforcement agencies and the Coast Guard, especially in combating drug smuggling into the United States. Posse Comitatus clarifications emphasize supportive and technical assistance (e.g., use of facilities, vessels, and aircraft, as well as intelligence support, technological aid, and surveillance) while generally prohibiting direct participation of Department of Defense personnel in law enforcement (e.g., search, seizure, and arrests). For example, a U.S. Navy vessel may be used to track, follow, and stop a vessel suspected of drug smuggling, but Coast Guard Law Enforcement Detachments (LEDETs) embarked aboard the Navy vessel would perform the actual boarding and, if needed, arrest the suspect vessel's crew.[5]

Advisory and support roles[edit]
Federal military forces have a long history of domestic roles, including the occupation of sessionist Southern states during Reconstruction. The Posse Comitatus Act prohibits the use of federal military forces to "execute the laws"; however, there is disagreement over whether this language may apply to troops used in an advisory, support, disaster response, or other homeland defense role, as opposed to conventional law enforcement.[1]

On March 10, 2009, active duty U.S. Army Military Police troops from Fort Rucker were deployed to Samson, Alabama, in response to a murder spree. Samson officials confirmed that the soldiers assisted in traffic control and securing the crime scene. The governor of Alabama did not request military assistance nor did President Obama authorize their deployment. Subsequent investigation found that the Posse Comitatus Act was violated and several military members received "administrative actions".[13][14]

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Here is a news report that I am a little concerned with. Ya have to wonder what the "Powers that Be" are thinking.

PA Taps Chinese to Fund I-95 Project
Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Leveraging an immigration program that rewards wealthy foreign investors with U.S. visas, Pennsylvania is reaching into pockets overseas to fund much of a $420 million project to link I-95 with the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

The funding plan, overseen by a limited partnership known as Delaware Valley Regional Center (DVRC), is rapidly subscribing Chinese investors at $500,000 a pop to pay for the massive project.

Screen-shot-2013-09-07-at-11_30_39-AM.png

Photos: DVRC
In China, ads promoting the investment opportunity featured photos of Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett (third from left) and officials from the state's Turnpike Commission. A ceremonial groundbreaking (pictured) for the project occurred in July 2013; construction began in September 2014.

The first part of the project funding, known as Tranche I, sold out Nov. 25, according to DVRC. Round II of fundraising "will be available shortly," the group says.

Construction on the I-95/Turnpike project began in October.

How it Works

The funding plan draws on a fast-growing, and increasingly criticized, Department of Homeland Security program known as the EB-5 "Immigrant Investor Program."

Under the program, foreign nationals may obtain a visa qualifying them and their families for permanent U.S. residency if they invest $1 million in a new commercial enterprise, or at least $500,000 in a domestic project that creates 10 or more jobs in a high unemployment area.

The Pennsylvania project is targeting that second option. The state has already designated the project region as a Targeted Employment Area (TEA).

Pennsylvania wants the foreign investors to advance a $200 million loan for the project in southeastern Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission is overseeing the project.

PATurnpike_toll_DVRC.jpg

The Delaware Valley Regional Center promotes the EB-5 Immigration Investor visa as a quick, flexible way to obtain permanent U.S. residency. Forbes has described EB-5 as a "visa-for-sale" program.

EB-5 applicants do not require sponsorship from a U.S. employer or family member and, unlike the multi-year backlogs for many employment and family-based "green card" categories, "there is currently no quota backlog for the EB-5 investor category," DVRC reports in its pitch for investors.

Participating investors "live and work in the United States in any capacity," DVRC notes.

'Visa for Sale'

According to Reuters, the number of EB-5 visas issued nearly tripled from 2007 to 2010, and the number of businesses increased tenfold.

In March, CNN reported that "rich Chinese" were overwhelming the program, and Forbes describedEB-5 as a "visa-for-sale" program.

A website called Immigration Law Las Vegas calls EB-5 "the easiest path to Green Cards for foreign investors who want to give their children an American education, or who want live or work or retire in the United States."

In August, a Chicago man was indicted for allegedly using EB-5 as bait to swindle $160 million from Chinese nationals.

'Class A+ Repayment Credit!'

As of Monday (Dec. 1), the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission does not include the financing plan on the project website and does not list DVRC as part of the project team. The last "project news" noted on the site is from 2010.

PATurnpike_DVRC.jpg

The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission is seeking to borrow nearly half of the $420 million project cost from wealthy private investors outside the United States.

Nevertheless, state officials began pitching the plan in China in September, The Philadelphia Inquirerreported Sunday (Nov. 30).

The newspaper said the ad included photos of Gov. Corbett and Turnpike Commission officials and the text: "Guaranteed by U.S. Government, Class A+ Repayment Credit!" It described the project as "A key expressway-connecting hub project in U.S.A.!"

The ad was "toned down" following inquiries by the newspaper "to remove suggestions of government guarantees for investors," The Inquirer reported.

More than 100 investors have applied out of a goal of 400, mostly from China, the news outlet said.

Trending Now

The idea for the plan came from Turnpike Commissioner Pasquale T. "Pat" Deon Sr., described as a local "restaurateur, beer distributor and Republican power broker" who chairs the board of the state transit agency known as SEPTA.

SEPTA had used a similar mechanism to borrow $175 million to pay for its smart-card fare system in 2011, The Inquirer said.

http://www.paintsquare.com/news/?fuseaction=view&id=12376&nl_versionid=459

DismalDude

DismalDude

What I want to know is who the hell is getting rich off the turnpike?They charge and have been charging a shitload of money to use it since forever!
Repairs aside there have been billions made off of that road,where's the money?
I've traveled it many times and it's a shit road.Always under construction,potholes,uneven pavement etc.
I know I'm just bitching and whining now but it seems that everything that is done in this country is corrupt as hell while making a handful wealthy and the American people holding the "empty" bag.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
What I want to know is who the hell is getting rich off the turnpike?They charge and have been charging a shitload of money to use it since forever!
Repairs aside there have been billions made off of that road,where's the money?
I've traveled it many times and it's a shit road.Always under construction,potholes,uneven pavement etc.
I know I'm just bitching and whining now but it seems that everything that is done in this country is corrupt as hell while making a handful wealthy and the American people holding the "empty" bag.
Amen to that bro. Well said.... The article puts a whole new spin on immigration reform ......... Next thing you know gonna have to teach kids and grandkids how to speak chinese....

Top Bottom