Thank God I noticed this

• Thread starter Cmurda48
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
seafoodgumbo

seafoodgumbo

So I know this is slight flicker in the lights in my grow tent that hasn't been there before so naturally I checked all my cords and cord connections and whatnot and look at what I found!
Wow!
Was the chord directly under your light? I'm curious to know how fast that happened....

Cmurda48

Cmurda48

Actually I had nothing to do with my light, I had a multi-socket extension connected to that which was what I had my ventilation system my grow light and my air pump and my Greenhouse heater connected to and I think those other three combined with the greenhouse heater caused it just to get way too hot because I've switched it out with a different extension cord and and ditched the greenhouse heater from that group of plugs and now it's it's running cold as it possibly could that it's producing no heat at all on the cord so yeah I'm pretty sure it was just too much power than adding the heater to it just did it over.

3cats

3cats

They're supposed to be clear!
Too much of a load on cheap #16 gauge, Chinese made extension cords. I have a bunch of them but I take care not to put much of a load on them. Heaters are a hard no on that wire, some draw 1250- 1500 watts, anything over 500w on those cords is iffy. I use short 3ft cords for fans, or humidifiers for an extra few feet

awesomeblossom

awesomeblossom

Gosh jkash u mighta ended up being on the next gieco insurance commercial. Craziest insurance claims... Lol
And this client has a house fire while growing cannabis.... Oh no
Fuck, glad u caught it brudha. How ya been , man that white widow looking good right now. Dam the smell tho....
Umm... lucky it didn't start a fire

JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
Gosh jkash u mighta ended up being on the next gieco insurance commercial. Craziest insurance claims... Lol
And this client has a house fire while growing cannabis.... Oh no
Fuck, glad u caught it brudha. How ya been , man that white widow looking good right now. Dam the smell tho....
🤣🤣🤣🤣 it wasn't me tho... but that sure is funny af...sorta...

dsp

dsp

Yes, lucky you found it. If you use an undersized extension cord and load it up. wires melt and fires will be inevitable.
unless you know ASSume all your outlets are 20 amp and require 12 gauge extension cords. if you must use them use the shortest cord possible.
12 gauge Husky cords from home depot are solid cords to use.
14 gauge wire/cord for 15 amp circuit
12 gauge wire/cord for 20 amp circuit
So you can use a 12 gauge cord on a 15 amp circuit but you cannot use a 14 gauge on a 20 amp circuit.
Another thing to consider is timers. They have a rating as well and should be respected. the cheap ones from harbor fright tools also sold elsewhere are only rated for 15 amps and with 2 outlets one can easily overload one. that's why they sell lighting controllers.
Paying an electrician to run the circuits where you need them so you don't have to use extension cords is cheap insurance. youtube could guide you if you're competent
Anyway, I am sharing this info with a gain of digital salt so take what you want and leave the rest.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Yes, lucky you found it. If you use an undersized extension cord and load it up. wires melt and fires will be inevitable.
unless you know ASSume all your outlets are 20 amp and require 12 gauge extension cords. if you must use them use the shortest cord possible.
12 gauge Husky cords from home depot are solid cords to use.
14 gauge wire/cord for 15 amp circuit
12 gauge wire/cord for 20 amp circuit
So you can use a 12 gauge cord on a 15 amp circuit but you cannot use a 14 gauge on a 20 amp circuit.
Another thing to consider is timers. They have a rating as well and should be respected. the cheap ones from harbor fright tools also sold elsewhere are only rated for 15 amps and with 2 outlets one can easily overload one. that's why they sell lighting controllers.
Paying an electrician to run the circuits where you need them so you don't have to use extension cords is cheap insurance. youtube could guide you if you're competent
Anyway, I am sharing this info with a gain of digital salt so take what you want and leave the rest.
Damn you snatched the words right out of my fingers here. ALWAYS use high load wiring indoors. Pay the extra, it sucks, but essential. This was self inflicted. IM SO GLAD you didn’t have a bigger problem. But more is more in this dept. Every cord I run is as beefy as possible. good on ya for laying out this info dsp 👊🏻

Reactions: dsp
Cmurda48

Cmurda48

Check it out guys, you all taking the time to type long messages out to me to relay good information means the world. I would never disrespect any of you by just ignoring your advice. In fact I feel weird even calling the advice because to me it sounds like facts. I'm not an electrician I don't know anything about that shit really so I figured if it wasn't blowing the breaker on my house and it was okay to run. I will not make that mistake again. Thank you again, and I will keep you all updated on what exactly I do to combat situation.

Top Bottom