THC Levels

• Thread starter Papa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Papa

Papa

Supporter
i've read that the thc levels of buds can vary from where on the plant the flower is harvested. does anyone have information regarding this?

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I love the bottom inners if and only if scrogged properly meaning bottom inners always got as much attention as tips or tops not if the live their whole life in the shade

Scrogged or whatever other ttraining or lst ....you know

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
i've read that the thc levels of buds can vary from where on the plant the flower is harvested. does anyone have information regarding this?

This information was given me by an old-timer, and IIRC he said that Robert Clark's book actually tested THC levels from different areas of the plant and found that lowers are indeed lower in THC. But, don't hold me to it, ok? I don't have the book, just relaying what I've been told.

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
my guess would be that mid tops prolly test the best, I think the main tops might get damaged due to heat stress, light intensity among other things grower dependent. jus a guess, intresting thread tho

confu

bat_j

bat_j

my guess would be that mid tops prolly test the best, I think the main tops might get damaged due to heat stress, light intensity among other things grower dependent. jus a guess, intresting thread tho

confu

I absolutely agree with you, and this is the disadvantage of the indoor growing. It's because of the light-distance law, that light diminishes progressively with the square of the distance from the source.

Regards!

Thoth

Thoth

It's an interesting question. It probably does differ, with those buds that receive optimal light and growing conditions having higher levels. But perhaps that's just flawed and biased logic? I would like to see some real numbers if anyone has some.

soserthc1

soserthc1

This information was given me by an old-timer, and IIRC he said that Robert Clark's book actually tested THC levels from different areas of the plant and found that lowers are indeed lower in THC. But, don't hold me to it, ok? I don't have the book, just relaying what I've been told.

I have the book and he does mention that thc levels from the top of the bud can be higher most intense light has an effect ..... I 'll see if I can find that actually chapter ....

bat_j

bat_j

It's an interesting question. It probably does differ, with those buds that receive optimal light and growing conditions having higher levels. But perhaps that's just flawed and biased logic? I would like to see some real numbers if anyone has some.

I only judge by my own actual experience. I didn't like the top cola much on my last indoor grow, even though it looked and smelled fantastic, and I found that astonishing. Light from the sun is practically bright enough equally on the tops and the bottom -- it does makes sense. I guess it was overly illuminated from the top.

Thoth

Thoth

So you think the light/heat essentially degraded the THC?

I've never noticed a difference myself. I prefer the top colas, but maybe that's all psychosomatic, because they look the most awesome, especially compared to popcorn. When I smoke my way through the top buds and make my way to the rest though I haven't noticed any decline in quality.

bat_j

bat_j

So you think the light/heat essentially degraded the THC?

I've never noticed a difference myself. I prefer the top colas, but maybe that's all psychosomatic, because they look the most awesome, especially compared to popcorn. When I smoke my way through the top buds and make my way to the rest though I haven't noticed any decline in quality.

It might be because I usually save the top cola for the end, smoking my way from the bottom to the top, by which time I have already got accustomed to the cannabinoid levels of the grown strain. It's got to be psychosomatic, but as far as I remember (unfortunately) too much light degrades the quality of the buds.

Good luck!

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

The bottom of the plant is the oldest and closest to the root so if your tieing down propper and letting the bottom get as much attention as top of plant then the bottom matures fastest and is the best in my most humble opinion peace and medicinal greaze!

ttystikk

ttystikk

I absolutely agree with you, and this is the disadvantage of the indoor growing. It's because of the light-distance law, that light diminishes progressively with the square of the distance from the source.

Regards!

Oh, I got yer fix for that, buddy!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have the book and he does mention that thc levels from the top of the bud can be higher most intense light has an effect ..... I 'll see if I can find that actually chapter ....

And that makes sense, if you think of it like fruits on a tree. Growing up, we quickly learned that the best peaches, plums, nectarines and apricots were all at the TOP of the tree, growing in full sun. Sweetest, biggest, tastiest.

bat_j

bat_j

And that makes sense, if you think of it like fruits on a tree. Growing up, we quickly learned that the best peaches, plums, nectarines and apricots were all at the TOP of the tree, growing in full sun. Sweetest, biggest, tastiest.

Yes, they somewhat mature from the bottom way to the top and really the best fruit needs the most time to mature. It's not a big difference, but it plays a role. Of course, because of the apical dominance the higher you go on the plant -- the densest the bud becomes.

frebo

frebo

Last year I was able to have a shishkaberry/Docs medicine cross tested at 21.38% for the initial bud harvest and 17.8% for the LOWER remaining buds(3 weeks later). I believe that the highest thc levels often do not feel as strong as some lower thc plants that have a different ratio to CBD's and CBN's.

BrianDirt

BrianDirt

http://www.kindgreenbuds.com/marijuana-grow-guide/cannabis-maturation-and-harvesting/

Is a good read on THC and the rest of the compounds. It seems THC is made for at least the purpose of protecting the seeds DNA from the suns UltraViolet rays. Now think about that and some of the test done were that. Two times the amount of THC was made in a 12 hour vs 10 photo period. and to increase THC output only a 40 watt bulb was needed. Low humidity and high temps were also noticed to increase THC output! As long as the plant is still active in makeing THC (clear heads) then THC will continue to degread to CBD and be replaced by new THC.

So will turning the lights on to a 24/7 and dropping the RH to the 40s should increase THC production the last week to last 4-5 days? I also read that once a plant is fully in to the flower cycle that it could be placed outdoors in a 16+ hours of day light and still flower out to complete its cycle. Waiting till after the full moon to harvest phase 3&4 are best. All the plants I reveg take a month at least to show any thing, other than being stagnate. So 4-5 days of 24/7 balsting should be ok.

What you think?

K

kolah

I wonder how much variance there may be when comparing indoor vs outdoor grows.

on an other note: In some American Indian herbal medicine teachings it is the top cone of the pine tree (pinion) that is said to have the most medicinal properties.

bat_j

bat_j

I wonder how much variance there may be when comparing indoor vs outdoor grows.

on an other note: In some American Indian herbal medicine teachings it is the top cone of the pine tree (pinion) that is said to have the most medicinal properties.

That is universally true for outdoors, and only partially for indoors (since the last method can provide sun-like light power for just a small zone -- about 2-3 feet -- under the lamp).

Good luck!

Latest posts

Top Bottom