the beach house

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks you for the honest assessment of the fabric bag (craze) I've been wondering myself about there practicality. I don't think I need a new headache to deal with. The Air pruning pots would be the same way wouldn't they? with water coming out everywhere and they look flimsy and impractical if they only come in 1 gal and 10 gal sizes ( as per amazon) there would be no transplanting out of them without ripping the roots to shreds.
It is a craze! my first thought this morning is I've got to read the marketing on these to see how they got so many people buying these friggin things lol to each his own & I see some pros as well as cons; mainly they didn't work for me because of the extra schlepping and the bad back but if I'm honest I don't like them

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Is there a problem with my premium plastic nursery pots i have used hundreds of times and have lasted 6 years so far? Havent even cracked a tray.

I never liked the idea of a flimsy container.
Naw I'm back in the land of the hard bucket, the grow bags didn't work out but I figured I'd give them a try, I think these plants are going to do fine in them but they're probably going to be the last plants I have to put in them at least for a while and if I do get one root bound again, which is very rare I'll probably get a 5 gallon bucket type instead of these flimsy wet soggy bags ..yuck!

Jamie73

Jamie73

I love mine. I use 5 gal ones. With soil. Root rot, root balls other problems I experienced in plastic pots. I put 2 Rubbermaid covers 2 plants on each one. Drain off I check the ph so I can flush as needed. My roots fill the entire pot. I leave the run off. Evaporated fast along with the soil suck back. My 2 cents. LOL Yes I would go back to hard pots. I have read many of different versions of root damage from breaking them up. The majority say by having that happen it grows more shoots to that root absorbing twice as much. Just not the the stem root. That the engine of the plant. It's funny as a kid planting the gardens with my grandmother. Started everything in those cardboard planters. There all root bound when planting in the ground. She should me breaking the roots. Makes a plant healthier from repairing itself by developing stronger roots. My great-grandfather was veg farmer. 100+ acs. How I wish it dissent get divided up when he passed. Rambling sorry some good fire oc I had tonight.

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I love mine. I use 5 gal ones. With soil. Root rot, root balls other problems I experienced in plastic pots. I put 2 Rubbermaid covers 2 plants on each one. Drain off I check the ph so I can flush as needed. My roots fill the entire pot. I leave the run off. Evaporated fast along with the soil suck back. My 2 cents. LOL
Can't do it! I just can't leave them sitting in water; no soil suck-back; goes against everything that I've done for four years

I'm sure there's pros and cons, wanted to like them, really did, just not for my style of growing but thank you for the input!

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Naw I'm back in the land of the hard bucket, the grow bags didn't work out but I figured I'd give them a try, I think these plants are going to do fine in them but they're probably going to be the last plants I have to put in them at least for a while and if I do get one root bound again, which is very rare I'll probably get a 5 gallon bucket type instead of these flimsy wet soggy bags ..yuck!
I kinda like the fiber pots. I've never transplanted out of one but I never expected to do so.

Now that I've seen how they work I bet the 1 gals would be perfect for autos in coco. This summer I hope to be growing in 3-5 gal hard plastic with coco.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Opinions on ripeness welcome, thank you in advance!

2020 02 08 07 02 02 772
2020 02 08 07 02 04 058

Screenshot 20200208 071505 Gallery
Screenshot 20200208 071451 Gallery

Are they:

• Dead Ripe 👍
  • Within the Harvest window👌

• Wait✋

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I love mine. I use 5 gal ones. With soil. Root rot, root balls other problems I experienced in plastic pots. I put 2 Rubbermaid covers 2 plants on each one. Drain off I check the ph so I can flush as needed. My roots fill the entire pot. I leave the run off. Evaporated fast along with the soil suck back. My 2 cents. LOL Yes I would go back to hard pots. I have read many of different versions of root damage from breaking them up. The majority say by having that happen it grows more shoots to that root absorbing twice as much. Just not the the stem root. That the engine of the plant. It's funny as a kid planting the gardens with my grandmother. Started everything in those cardboard planters. There all root bound when planting in the ground. She should me breaking the roots. Makes a plant healthier from repairing itself by developing stronger roots. My great-grandfather was veg farmer. 100+ acs. How I wish it dissent get divided up when he passed. Rambling sorry some good fire oc I had tonight.
Great story about your grandmother, reminded me of my own grandfather who as early in my life as I can remember had me helping him in the vegetable garden and I learn how to grow from him ..good memories!👍

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Gardening is the peak of pleasure in my life!
I remember oregano and sweet basil hanging to dry on the patio and the lovely sweet tomatoes.

We've already tilled this season and will be sprouting in a tent our seasons veggies in a couple more weeks.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

If it werent for my wife a lot of the small buds would end up in the compost pile due to my sore joints.
I'm glad she does because that's the stuff I usually make edibles from.
Same here, popcorn will just get a quick trim and tossed into the hash bucket

April 1st to start my tomatoes! Cant wait! Thinking of putting in some jalapenos and eggplant this year too

Latest posts

Top Bottom