the beach house

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Fluro

Fluro

I kept reading on this site about "transplant shock" and I didn't understand why people were being so rough on their plants to cause shock. When I transplant they don't seem to miss a beat and are happy to have new space to grow into.....

....That was until I had to transplant very root bound plants, all coiled up around the base and not much soil all roots. I was told ( it was recommended ) to wash the roots and gently spread them apart before putting them into their new pots......So I did......

Introducing me to transplant shock...2 weeks they sat without movement..stalled ..delaying & stunting their growth ...in retrospect I should have just put them into the larger pots without busting the root ball up and not shocking the fk out of them.

Problem being I've done that before and the bound up roots don't expand into the new soil very much if the ball is too tight and wound up...Solution ..don't let them get root bound in the first place and transplant sooner than later is my new plan..lol. my best laid plans sometimes go amuck.
Wash the roots? WTF dam, I think someone was pranking you. Did they come back with a way to reduce root shock?...Sprinkle a handful of salt around the base of the plant. (don't try that). However, I do remember my next door neighbors son Rehan 18yrs, had a couple in a pot out the front of his porch. (we lived up a right of way next to each other. He said they were tomatoes I just laughed. Anyway, a week later he says, look what my mum did, and opens up my rubbish bin lid, there were his two little six inch babies, ripped out and thrown in a plastic bag and dumped in my bin. Hmmm, I thought, they do say the're weeds. So I took them round the back and planted them and gave them TLC (I thought it was a fair swap, a little TLC for a lot of THC later...hahaha). So, anyway, I just watered them in the pot and they grew into what you see next to me. The last funny part was that they got to around 4 foot and one day I found that someone had cut one off at the base and just left a stump there, but they'd left me the other slightly bigger one, how cool was that. I had to smile. Now it's 6 years later my mate rings me up and says, "Dave, I'm looking after 80 seedlings for someone for a couple of weeks, do you want a few? well is the pope a catholic, so I've got 5 out the back on the patio, and my mum's telling me what a bad influence I am on my kids (Ayla wants to put one in her room...LOL) she's 15. They're between 380 and 510mm high and growing at a rate of between 20 and 30mm a day now. I might just post them here every week. Moving them to 48 litre airpots end of next week. Will have a mix worked out from all the expert knowledge around, mushroom compost, worm castings, and a few other things along with my organic potting mix.....Sorry, I have to tell someone....LOL

January 13th 2021
January 23 2021
January 27th 2021
February 5th 2021
Fluro

Fluro

Wash the roots? WTF dam, I think someone was pranking you. Did they come back with a way to reduce root shock?...Sprinkle a handful of salt around the base of the plant. (don't try that). However, I do remember my next door neighbors son Rehan 18yrs, had a couple in a pot out the front of his porch. (we lived up a right of way next to each other. He said they were tomatoes I just laughed. Anyway, a week later he says, look what my mum did, and opens up my rubbish bin lid, there were his two little six inch babies, ripped out and thrown in a plastic bag and dumped in my bin. Hmmm, I thought, they do say the're weeds. So I took them round the back and planted them and gave them TLC (I thought it was a fair swap, a little TLC for a lot of THC later...hahaha). So, anyway, I just watered them in the pot and they grew into what you see next to me. The last funny part was that they got to around 4 foot and one day I found that someone had cut one off at the base and just left a stump there, but they'd left me the other slightly bigger one, how cool was that. I had to smile. Now it's 6 years later my mate rings me up and says, "Dave, I'm looking after 80 seedlings for someone for a couple of weeks, do you want a few? well is the pope a catholic, so I've got 5 out the back on the patio, and my mum's telling me what a bad influence I am on my kids (Ayla wants to put one in her room...LOL) she's 15. They're between 380 and 510mm high and growing at a rate of between 20 and 30mm a day now. I might just post them here every week. Moving them to 48 litre airpots end of next week. Will have a mix worked out from all the expert knowledge around, mushroom compost, worm castings, and a few other things along with my organic potting mix.....Sorry, I have to tell someone....LOL
Oh top to bottom, January 13th, January 23rd, January 27th, February 5th

Fluro

Fluro

Grow Bags AKA Smart Pots

I'm sure they're as popular as they are because the manufacturers give them to the internet "Grow-gods" who hock them mercilessly

View attachment 1073388

They're by far the most not only useless but negative product I've run into in the five or six years that I've been back growing

I've notice you don't use them = smart grower!
Are you talking about inside or outside use. You'd be screwed for inside unless they were tiny mini ones wouldn't you. First transplant and I planted my plants into supermarket reusable bags, (11 - 12 litres of soil) same sort of thing. call me cheap. LOL I have noticed that you cant put them down with a higher bit in the middle because the soil cracks like the grand canyon (WTF), so you have to keep them on a wire mesh, or bricks on the outside edges of the underneath. I'm keeping my soil damp, I know what saturated and drained weight is so I weigh mine every morning (because they are outside in the sun all day) and I just add the amount of water I have lost over the last day, slowly around the outside, haven't had any run out, but yes, you do have to be careful when handling them, I don't like the look of the bigger ones. I just bought some 27 litre ones and they just aren't going to work, too wide, not deep enough, so I'm giving them to my mate who doesn't move his. I just ordered five 48 litre air pots, I'm going to line them with coir, they need to be easy to move around. I'll work out an awesome balanced natural soil mix and hopefully get 6 footers. Outside growing seems very forgiving, inside growing seems very complex, too complex for me. Hat's off to you guys.

SSgrower

SSgrower

I too grew only outside until a friend of mine showed me his "Home Grown"inside grow w/seeds from Amsterdam. Found out he uses Coco w/nutes 3 times a day, found this forum & now will receive delivery of tent/light ect. I hate "Paypal" & Amazon log in's!

Fluro

Fluro

thanks for the input, too early to be normal trichome ambering, there's virtually none on the plant anywhere yet

Its around 6 or 7 weeks and they're going to go about a hundred days

When I zoomed in with the microscope it was some kind of blobs of Goo stuck to the trichomes

Plus it jumped out at me it had an unusual shine under the HPS that I've never seen before

I know the picture doesn't illustrate it that well but that was the best pic I could get
If you asked Cheech & Chong they would say, "Oh, yeah, that's good shit man"

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

He's baaack! How y'all doing? Some of you might remember me from a ways back, haven't been around for a few years, starting my first grow in 2 years presently, it's also my first EVER outdoor grow, so I dropped in to say hello and glean some info from the outdoor growers!

Going all Autos! 🤞🏻🙏🤞🏻🙏

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
He's baaack! How y'all doing? Some of you might remember me from a ways back, haven't been around for a few years, starting my first grow in 2 years presently, it's also my first EVER outdoor grow, so I dropped in to say hello and glean some info from the outdoor growers!

Going all Autos! 🤞🏻🙏🤞🏻🙏
much love brother!
missed ya..

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

much love brother!
missed ya..
Hey thanks for the welcome! I was back last December reading your stuff cuz I wanted to make the perfect Temple ball for the holidays, you're killing it with the hash! it's Frenchy Cannoli and you!

Haven't grown in a couple years & no more Beach, I live on a hay farm now in the Great White North. Starting my first plants in 2 years and it's unbelievable how much I've forgotten

First ever outdoor grow! Maybe I'll start a grow Journal? It ought to be good for a laugh

Bobrown14

Bobrown14

Hey thanks for the welcome! I was back last December reading your stuff cuz I wanted to make the perfect Temple ball for the holidays, you're killing it with the hash! it's Frenchy Cannoli and you!

Haven't grown in a couple years & no more Beach, I live on a hay farm now in the Great White North. Starting my first plants in 2 years and it's unbelievable how much I've forgotten

First ever outdoor grow! Maybe I'll start a grow Journal? It ought to be good for a laugh
Tractor love... congrats on the move. We moved from Philly a month before flu lockdowns to upstate fingerlakes region onto 30 acres onna mountain so high, used to be hay fields before the house was built onit. We still have a lot of hay to cut. I love tractoring.

Top Bottom