The Benefits of Potassium Silicate

• Thread starter spl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oh... so you've discovered the foliar application, eh? It can be amazing.

I was using Silicablast to raise pH, but after a certain point I didn't want to overdo it, as I don't actually remember how mobile it is within plant tissues. I also found Humax does a great job of raising pH as well as an adjuster with a good amount of phosphorous in it.

Oh, gudkarma, I always include a horticultural oil in my foliar mixes, pretty religiously. If I don't use that, I use a drop or three of liquid dish soap so I get less beading at the very least. I usually have stylet oil on hand most of the time, though.

dextr0

dextr0

Trichomes Of Cannabis Sativa L. (Cannabaceae)
By: P.Dayanandan and Peter B. Kaufman

Abstract
[I]The diversity of non-glandular and glandular hairs of Cannabis sativa L. (marihuana) are described by scanning electron microscopy. The non-glandular hairs are of two major types, as distinguished by size differences and locations, and all of them are highly silicified. The presence of silica as well as cystoliths of calcium carbonate help in the identification of marihuana even in its ash residues[/I]. X-ray microanalyses of Cannabis hairs are compared with those of Humulus lupulus and Lantana camera, whose hairs have been considered to resemble those of marihuana. Glandular hairs are found to be of two major categories. One group consists of glands whose heads are generally made up of eight cells and the other group whose heads are generally made up of two cells but never more than four cells. All glands of both categories are stalked. Some glands of the first category are massively stalked and these are restricted solely to anthers and bracts of staminate and pistillate plants. The massive stalk is considered to be made up of epidermal and hypodermal cells that have grown in response to some stimulation during anthesis. Finc details of the shoot system of Cannabis, such as cuticular ridges on epidermal cells, warty protuberances on non-glandular hairs, and surface views of glands in developing stages are also reported. Glandular hairs on the bracts of Humulus lupulus resemble those of Cannabis

Cannabinoids the Active Ingredients of Marijuana

Resin glands are not visible until flowers form. The more obvious covering of white hairs seen on stems, petioles, and leaves are not resin glands. They are cystolith hairs of carbonate and silicate which are common to many plants. These sharp-pointed hairs afford the plant some protection from insects and make it less palatable to larger, plant-eating animals[/I].

MeJuana

MeJuana

Why You Should Use Potassium Silicate.
Many benefits can be gained by using a good Potassium Silicate product in your feeding program. Increased tolerance of environmental stress, heat, cold, drought, water and soil toxicity or deficiency, improved growth rate both in the root zone and in the plant it foliage. By using Potassium Silicate with clones can increase the rate of roots kicked by as much as 80%.

Potassium Silicate is a natural fungicide, it helps build the plants defense from attacks by insects, fungi. Potassium Silicate helps the plant growth by depositing it self epidermal cell walls, enhancing the plant's ability to keep the leaves pointed towards the light source. It also increases the stem strength, making it easier to hold up more weight. As the plant builds it self up with Potassium Silicate, it helps with balancing nutrient uptake and distribution, and increased concentration of chlorophyll and RUBP carboxylase in leaves. (AKA the Calvin cycle)

How Potassium Silicate Increases Resistance to Pathogens
Potassium Silicate is impregnated in the epidermal cell layer acting as a barrier against penetration of fungal attacks from powdery mildew, black spots, pythium and phytophthora and many more fugal problems. Silicate also increase the mechanical strength of the plant to help it in extreme heat and cold swings, salt build up in soils or increased TDS in water, and controls the rate of transpiration of plants.

Potassium Silicate plays an active role in combating fungal growth by the production of polyphenolic compounds, this is a main part of the plants natural defense against fugal and insect attacks.

The plants leaf system will rapidly bound potassium Silicate in the tissue and cell walls with in 24 hours of uptake. Therefore a continuous source of Silicate is very important. When silicate uptake by the plant it will start with the older growth and work is way into the newer growth to help build up the mechanical strength of the plant.

When adding Silicate to a foliage spray program, it will help lower the rate of disease attack and helps protect the plants new leafs from spider mites, aphids, and many other sucking type insects.

How Potassium Silicate Increases the Metabolic Rate of Plants
It has been shown that silicate improves resistance to wilt, resistance to water stress, can help fight heat stress up too 105 deg F. If your plant has excessive transpiration, the plant will cease it metabolic function and stunted or no growth will occur.

Use if silicates in cloning or new seedlings helps speed up the rate of growth by as much as 90% (University of Florida and Minnesota). Also the study showed that 18% top 80% increase of dry weight of fruit and herbs.

It also increases reproductive rate in plants (Bud Growth). Increases tolerance of Zinc deficiencies, excessive phosphorus, manganese, sodium and aluminum toxicity.

My favorite is Dyna-Gro's Pro-Tek it is the most refined and concentrated there is on the market. 5 ML per gallon to start and 1ML per gallon add back with top off water.

EPA- Potassium silicate is the potassium salt of silicic acid, and, in formulation, is readily absorbed by the plant. Silicon comprises 32% of the Earth’s crust, and silicic acid salts (silicates) are the most common form of silicon. Consequently exposure to silicates is widespread in activities involving contact with soil and natural water. The other part of the chemical, potassium is a required element for survival of both plants and animals, as is silicon.

Potassium silicate is an active ingredient to be used as a fungicide, insecticide and miticide. Potassium silicate will be used as a broad spectrum, preventative fungicide with optimum control obtained when used under a scheduled preventative spray program. Potassium silicate also provides suppression of mites, whiteflies, and other insects. It is approved for use on agricultural crops, fruits, nuts, vines, turf and ornamentals.
Most common used in hydro is Potassium Silicate.

REFERENCES
1. Marschner, H., Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants, Academic Press, 1995, pp. 417-426,440-442.
2. Datnoff, L.E., et al., “Influence of Silicon Fertilizer Grades on Blast and Brown Spot
Development and on Rice Yields,” Plant Disease, October 1992, pp. 1011-1013.
3. Miyake, Y. and E. Takahashi, “Effect of Silicon on the Growth of Cucumber Plant in Soil
Culture,” Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 29 (4), 1983, pp. 463-471.
4. Miyake, Y. and E. Takahashi, “Effect of Silicon on the Growth and Fruit Production of
Strawberry Plants in a Solution Culture,” Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 32 (2), 1986, pp. 321-326.
5. Miyake, Y. and E. Takahashi, “Silicon Deficiency of Tomato Plant,” Soil Sci. Plant Nutr.,
24, 1978, pp. 175-189.
6. Schmidt, R.E., et al., “Response of Photosynthesis and Superoxide Dismutase to Silica
Applied to Creeping Bentgrass Grown Under Two Fertility Levels,” J. Plant Nutrition, 22
(11), 1999, pp. 1763-1773.
7. Posters presented at Silicon in Agriculture Conference, Sept. 26-30, 1999, Ft.
Lauderdale, FL. “Effects of Silicon on the Seedling Growth of Creeping Bentgrass and
Zoysiagrass,” by Z. Linjuan et al., China Agricultural University; “Influence of Silicon and
Host Plant Resistance on Gray Leaf Spot Development in St. Augustinegrass,” by L.E.
Datnoff and R.T. Nagata, University of Florida.
8. Chen, J., et al., “Let’s Put the Si Back into Soil,” University of Florida, Mid-Florida
Research and Education Center, Apopka, FL.
For more information on PQ Corporation and our complete

Nice work. JK is right though you do like to torture small plants.. lol

B

billybadazz

:help:

When would be an acceptable week to stop giving your plants silicate in the flower stage if you are flowering for 10 weeks?

porgot something

Oh. Never mind. Just found a thread that answered my question.

SoComa Kid

SoComa Kid

"There are many parts to a puzzle to this game and this is one of the parts."

It is just that one small part of the puzzle. But if I read your thread I am led to believe I would have explosive root growth,protection from pests, disease,chem and bio warfare. It does help with the immune system a little and it does aid in water transport.
The only thing I got from your pics is you grow small plants that you like to torture. Bump that rh up to 70% and see the difference. JK
Where did you source this info?
Did you read below the post he did list his sources

SoComa Kid

SoComa Kid

You don't notice the benefits of Silica?
ALSO SO2 is much better and is instantly available to the plant

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I know it helps the stems get stronger. It is really noticeable with Chemdog D. I use ph up that contains it.

Early in the thread Uncle Ben was mentioned. That guy was a plant genius. Not only in book knowledge but in practical experience. He did what he talked about.

IMHO if their was a ranking for plant knowledge the top spot would be decided in a New Years Day Sugar Bowl showdown between Uncle Ben and Charles Xavier. But at the end of the season Jackmyoffer would have the most money and biggest pile of buds. LOL!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Potassium Silicate can also be introduced by adding Greensand (considered organic) into soil grows, or perhaps i should be asking, has anyone discovered the same benefits as using Greensand?

What the Heck is GreenSand?
We get this question everyday and never grow weary answering it. The reason is simple we love Greensand. If you have never used the product (or never heard of it) Greensand is a mineral called glauconite, which is found on the ocean floor and mined for use as an organic fertilizer and soil conditioner. Greensand supplies marine potash, silica, iron oxide, magnesia, lime, phosphoric acid, and 22 trace minerals. Greensand works great on Southern “hard as a rock” clay soil this spring, to help improve its texture, and enrich the nutrient content of my soil without using chemicals. Greensand is one of the oldest and most generally useful tools in the organic gardening tool box. Greensand has been used since the eighteenth century as a soil amendment and slow-releasing fertilizer (0-0-3). It is one of the best certified organic sources of potassium. It comes from sandy rock or sediment containing a high percentage of the mineral glauconite (greenish-black to blue-green). It contains potash, magnesium, iron, silica and can contain as many as 30 other trace minerals. The recommended usage is to broadcast 50 to 100 lbs. per 1,000 square feet. It improves plant health in general and is also be used to loosen heavy, clay soils. It will also improve the moisture retention of sandy soils. Greensand is OMRI listed for organic use.
I have not seen quite the same immediacy of response with greensand, which I do include in my soil mixes, as compared to giving a foliar application of KSi.

That said, I think that because I also use rice hulls (another source of KSi) along with the greensand and what I believe is a well rounded soil mix, I don't experience the issues seen with insufficient Si.

I think, I hope.

MrChemovar

MrChemovar

Why You Should Use Potassium Silicate.
Many benefits can be gained by using a good Potassium Silicate product in your feeding program. Increased tolerance of environmental stress, heat, cold, drought, water and soil toxicity or deficiency, improved growth rate both in the root zone and in the plant it foliage. By using Potassium Silicate with clones can increase the rate of roots kicked by as much as 80%.

Potassium Silicate is a natural fungicide, it helps build the plants defense from attacks by insects, fungi. Potassium Silicate helps the plant growth by depositing it self epidermal cell walls, enhancing the plant's ability to keep the leaves pointed towards the light source. It also increases the stem strength, making it easier to hold up more weight. As the plant builds it self up with Potassium Silicate, it helps with balancing nutrient uptake and distribution, and increased concentration of chlorophyll and RUBP carboxylase in leaves. (AKA the Calvin cycle)

How Potassium Silicate Increases Resistance to Pathogens
Potassium Silicate is impregnated in the epidermal cell layer acting as a barrier against penetration of fungal attacks from powdery mildew, black spots, pythium and phytophthora and many more fugal problems. Silicate also increase the mechanical strength of the plant to help it in extreme heat and cold swings, salt build up in soils or increased TDS in water, and controls the rate of transpiration of plants.

Potassium Silicate plays an active role in combating fungal growth by the production of polyphenolic compounds, this is a main part of the plants natural defense against fugal and insect attacks.

The plants leaf system will rapidly bound potassium Silicate in the tissue and cell walls with in 24 hours of uptake. Therefore a continuous source of Silicate is very important. When silicate uptake by the plant it will start with the older growth and work is way into the newer growth to help build up the mechanical strength of the plant.

When adding Silicate to a foliage spray program, it will help lower the rate of disease attack and helps protect the plants new leafs from spider mites, aphids, and many other sucking type insects.

How Potassium Silicate Increases the Metabolic Rate of Plants
It has been shown that silicate improves resistance to wilt, resistance to water stress, can help fight heat stress up too 105 deg F. If your plant has excessive transpiration, the plant will cease it metabolic function and stunted or no growth will occur.

Use if silicates in cloning or new seedlings helps speed up the rate of growth by as much as 90% (University of Florida and Minnesota). Also the study showed that 18% top 80% increase of dry weight of fruit and herbs.

It also increases reproductive rate in plants (Bud Growth). Increases tolerance of Zinc deficiencies, excessive phosphorus, manganese, sodium and aluminum toxicity.

My favorite is Dyna-Gro's Pro-Tek it is the most refined and concentrated there is on the market. 5 ML per gallon to start and 1ML per gallon add back with top off water.

EPA- Potassium silicate is the potassium salt of silicic acid, and, in formulation, is readily absorbed by the plant. Silicon comprises 32% of the Earth’s crust, and silicic acid salts (silicates) are the most common form of silicon. Consequently exposure to silicates is widespread in activities involving contact with soil and natural water. The other part of the chemical, potassium is a required element for survival of both plants and animals, as is silicon.

Potassium silicate is an active ingredient to be used as a fungicide, insecticide and miticide. Potassium silicate will be used as a broad spectrum, preventative fungicide with optimum control obtained when used under a scheduled preventative spray program. Potassium silicate also provides suppression of mites, whiteflies, and other insects. It is approved for use on agricultural crops, fruits, nuts, vines, turf and ornamentals.
Most common used in hydro is Potassium Silicate.

REFERENCES
1. Marschner, H., Mineral Nutrition of Higher Plants, Academic Press, 1995, pp. 417-426,440-442.
2. Datnoff, L.E., et al., “Influence of Silicon Fertilizer Grades on Blast and Brown Spot
Development and on Rice Yields,” Plant Disease, October 1992, pp. 1011-1013.
3. Miyake, Y. and E. Takahashi, “Effect of Silicon on the Growth of Cucumber Plant in Soil
Culture,” Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 29 (4), 1983, pp. 463-471.
4. Miyake, Y. and E. Takahashi, “Effect of Silicon on the Growth and Fruit Production of
Strawberry Plants in a Solution Culture,” Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 32 (2), 1986, pp. 321-326.
5. Miyake, Y. and E. Takahashi, “Silicon Deficiency of Tomato Plant,” Soil Sci. Plant Nutr.,
24, 1978, pp. 175-189.
6. Schmidt, R.E., et al., “Response of Photosynthesis and Superoxide Dismutase to Silica
Applied to Creeping Bentgrass Grown Under Two Fertility Levels,” J. Plant Nutrition, 22
(11), 1999, pp. 1763-1773.
7. Posters presented at Silicon in Agriculture Conference, Sept. 26-30, 1999, Ft.
Lauderdale, FL. “Effects of Silicon on the Seedling Growth of Creeping Bentgrass and
Zoysiagrass,” by Z. Linjuan et al., China Agricultural University; “Influence of Silicon and
Host Plant Resistance on Gray Leaf Spot Development in St. Augustinegrass,” by L.E.
Datnoff and R.T. Nagata, University of Florida.
8. Chen, J., et al., “Let’s Put the Si Back into Soil,” University of Florida, Mid-Florida
Research and Education Center, Apopka, FL.
For more information on PQ Corporation and our complete

Will gro-tek silica harm my earthworms?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
That's the way the room is at this stage, Once the plants get bigger the room RH jumps up to about 45% and keeps right there.

This is the bloom room.
I have grown in 15% Rh during the winter. I really don't see any issues other than a tendency for lef tips to brown a little until the plants grow a little bigger and supply their own micro humidity. Rh and temps don't seem to affect things as most growers seem to claim, at least in my limited understanding! :cool:

plumsmooth

plumsmooth

I am starting to think my plants looked better with Potasium Silicate than Silicic Acid? Anyone else?

Anthem

Anthem

I am starting to think my plants looked better with Potasium Silicate than Silicic Acid? Anyone else?
I have the exact opposite feeling. Perhaps you should look at adding some P to your nutrients that is now absent with the Mono silic!

Top Bottom