The Black Thumb strikes again - let's try splicing!!

• Thread starter Nate_in_AK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Sometimes my black thumb just lashes out for no reason.
Like yesterday.
I snapped a branch with my stupid Shrek mitts. At a glance it looked ok, so I taped it.
But it was looking wilted this morning. Not good.
The black thumb strikes again   lets try splicing

This is bad:
The black thumb strikes again   lets try splicing 2

I read about this somewhere, seems worth a shot (incisions made with brand new razor blade)
The black thumb strikes again   lets try splicing 3

Fingers crossed....
The black thumb strikes again   lets try splicing 4

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

3 hours out and it's not looking good. 😢 I can't find much on how long to wait before giving up and pruning off the dead section. Hours? Days??

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

The broken limb was totally dead this morning.
At least the rest of the plant is healthy looking.
Maybe I'll just veg her a bit longer and top again to make up for the loss.

ArrEll

ArrEll

Sometimes my black thumb just lashes out for no reason.
Like yesterday.
I snapped a branch with my stupid Shrek mitts. At a glance it looked ok, so I taped it.
But it was looking wilted this morning. Not good.
View attachment 1078994

This is bad:
View attachment 1078995

I read about this somewhere, seems worth a shot (incisions made with brand new razor blade)
View attachment 1078996

Fingers crossed....
View attachment 1078997
Ya I would. I broke my own heart yesterday too, by snapping off one of two main Leaders on a Purple Kush, about 2 weeks from harvest. I have a 2x2x4 ft tent with 3 plants, and took one out to prune it. When I was putting it back in, I brushed past the other plant and... *snap*! - Stick me with a fork. Broke clean off, like an old pencil. Huge buds on it, too. I'll dry it & try to smoke it, but what a loss!

I have a slightly bigger tent, still in the box. I'll be setting that up for my next Grow, and then it'll be only one plant at a time. With very little Grow space in my condo, that's the best I'll be able to do. It's got 4" each way more space, plus 18" more Headroom. Should be enough.

A long time ago (when the World was young), I had a Green Thumb. Now mine's Black, also.

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Ya I would. I broke my own heart yesterday too, by snapping off one of two main Leaders on a Purple Kush, about 2 weeks from harvest. I have a 2x2x4 ft tent with 3 plants, and took one out to prune it. When I was putting it back in, I brushed past the other plant and... *snap*! - Stick me with a fork. Broke clean off, like an old pencil. Huge buds on it, too. I'll dry it & try to smoke it, but what a loss!

A long time ago (when the World was young), I had a Green Thumb. Now mine's Black, also.

I get the impression that if I had realized how bad the break was immediately, the plant would have had a fair chance of recovery. My biggest fail wasn't breaking the stem, it was the inadequate evaluation and tape job I threw at the break.

I'm holding onto hope that I can slowly color my black thumb green. If I can keep learning from my mistakes, I have to believe there is hope.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Sorry. Fallen soldiers. Branches can be saved if not completely broken and gotten too quickly. But. sometimes they’re just too far gone.

Mr. G

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I'm holding onto hope that I can slowly color my black thumb green.
With time, it'll fade to green, like an old tattoo, or a bruise.

You had the splicing technique on point, but I think you were just too late to get it done. In the future, if you snap a branch, just throw it in some water or other media and let it root. Turn one plant into two 😎

Latest posts

Top Bottom