The curious case of the Decapitated Trichomes

• Thread starter Dynamite
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dynamite

Dynamite

This clone of bubba kush I have has more trichome stalks , then actual stalks with heads ..

If you didn't grow it yourself you'd think the nuggs had been "keifed" upon inspection with a scope

It was not caused by being too rough with the buds , and I opened up many buds that had never been touched for any reason during harvest or drying and inspected inside the bud,and all have the same phenomenon going on .. Headless trichome stalks

And not the sharp looking ones either ,I've seen alot under the scope that appear very pointed on the end, these look like normal trich stalks minus the head ,more blunt looking at the end of the stalk where the head would sit

My question is why ?

I have seen this before on immature plants( I harvested at day 70 of 12/12) , and also it seems somewhat common to find them here and there on pretty much any strain . BUT OVER HALF !?!

My camera sucks , I'm ordering a digital microscope to take pics of what I'm talking about . My old digi does not take pics clearly of trich's

Really bumm's me out because this clone of bubba is easily the most pungent coffee/hashy smelling herb I've ever grown , and to the naked eye appears uber frosty

Home camera 007

Home camera 120

germinator

germinator

I have also experienced this, I believe the captate overfills from secreted oils and bursts, leaving the stem behind.
Why...I am not sure exactly, but I think its cuz we pussssshhhhh em.

And those nugs look delish

S

steelcanaries

I was thinking too much heat maybe? How close do you keep the light to your canopy? Can't you melt trichs with too much heat? Just a thought. Nice nugs regardless.

Dynamite

Dynamite

is it becuase it went to long? like other stated it looks great though

that is exactly it .. got dried nugg samples of this same cut of Bubba from 2 different growers for inspection , and the 58 day sample had 25% amber heads and only the teeny tiniest area where I found any headless stalks . and the 70+ day sample looks like mine , same issue,very few amber and over half the heads missing ..

sucks , all that purple did not come on till late in the 9th week , and most the nuggs got purple from the inside ,then it worked it's way out

every strain in my stable , every strain I ever had for that matter benefits from going upwards of 10 weeks ,not this one

Trichomes bursting because they're too full...
That's almost unfair...
And a little ridiuclous..
Wish I had that problem lol

unfair and ridiculous ~ agreeed 100% !
you really don't ever want this problem, it's quite depressing to try and achieve something as close to perfect as you can , then get a reality check that your smoke is weak - and your homies that don't put half the quality controlls in place as I do , their herb smokes better ,, lol ..

Yes, indeed. I heard aliens come down at night--
and use trichome magnets to collect all the kief...

just as human's have farmed gold from the earth and sold it to the Aliens for thousands of years , I knew "they" , them little green bastards figured out a way to hustle trich heads outta grow room while I sleep , they don't even need us humans to harvest it any more

here's my PROOF !
Index
Index1
Index2

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
Just took a sample in and there were alot of stalks with no heads. Forum cut at 63 days. First time Ive seen that. I usually run coco with gh 3part but this run was Nectar of the Gods in Roots organic soil.

I need to get me one of those scopes with the usb.

A

adri

Sounds to me like you are looking at powdery mildew. PM can be difficult to distinguish from trichome stalks even when using a microscope, however there are characteristics that set PM apart. While using at least 100x magnification, look to see whether the structure of the "trichomes" are chain-like, if they appear as vertical chains comprised of small, white, round units stacked on top of one another, then you can be rather sure those decapitated trichomes are in fact mildew. I would recommend checking out some images of PM online to help you distinguish.

Top Bottom