The Dreaded Bud Rot?

• Thread starter asphalt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

asphalt

Hi,
I am a newbie grower. Grew a plant in my back yard and it is a couple of weeks from harvest time. I noticed a bit of white, sort of like white paint on the leaves, a few days ago. Today, just one of the buds was half-brown at the top.

Do I immediately harvest and get rid of the one brown bud hoping the rest will dry ok? Suggestions are welcome.

The dreaded bud rot
fatawa

fatawa

Ouch....def mold stelo...u hav couple options,either harvest molded sites(i suggest def do not sell as some people with weakened immune system will suffer)or make edibles with affectd area.either way pull the branches affected.taste will b affected on edibles,but the temp will sterilize

A

asphalt

Only 1 bud went brown, so far. Do you think the others are toast as well?

fatawa

fatawa

Only 1 bud went brown, so far. Do you think the others are toast as well?
so hard to say brother....depends on temp/rh,rainfall,proximity to ground(frost in morning)...theres soooo many variables.i wud harvest wats molded already,cuz it can spread,but id still hold my ground n c if any mold follows.u cud get lucky in thats it.but if it continues id harvest just so u hav a legitimate harvest.try n pay attention everyday so u can b proactive,instead of reactive

fatawa

fatawa

Try in hold out tho.harvest wats molded n thro n trim pile,dnt jump to the conclusion thats its all bad cuz thats not the case.

CIRE408

CIRE408

Hi,
I am a newbie grower. Grew a plant in my back yard and it is a couple of weeks from harvest time. I noticed a bit of white, sort of like white paint on the leaves, a few days ago. Today, just one of the buds was half-brown at the top.

Do I immediately harvest and get rid of the one brown bud hoping the rest will dry ok? Suggestions are welcome.
Don't SMOKE the molded buds!!!! Cut the dead part out and toss it!!! Make sure you don't cut anything else with the scissors you used before you sterilize them. Speaking from experience you can pass that stuff onto other bud sites. You may also have powdery mildew. That shit sucks also. The mildew doesn't look to bad yet but that shit spreads fast and can ruin your harvest. Harvesting a week early is better than not harvesting at all due to mold issues. Stay on top of it. It can go bad fast.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

The Cannabis Encyclopedia by Jorge Cervantes (c)2015, says...

"Sprays of calcium silicate (Ca-silicate, 2,000 ppm, a sealant for concrete and egg shells), (California) calcium bentonite (Ca-bentonite), and calcium formate (Ca-formate, 2,000ppm) provide effective control of fungi and are safe alternatives to highly toxic fungicides. Potassium bicarbonate, baking soda, changes the pH of the surface of the foliage it contacts. Botrytis cannot grow there."

It also says to use alcohol sterilized scissors to make the cuts. I don't know how effective this is when Cervantes, is shown in a picture on the same page ashing a bud on a plant with a torch. LOL. I hope this can help. If anyone want's to weigh in on this answer, I am always up for learning more so I can fight it if it ever comes for my plants, and it does show up where I live, often.
1507064330478 1801251534

This book has been an "ok" resource, but somewhat incomplete. (My review so this picture & excerpt does not constitute copyright infringement.)

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Ouch....def mold stelo...u hav couple options,either harvest molded sites(i suggest def do not sell as some people with weakened immune system will suffer)or make edibles with affectd area.either way pull the branches affected.taste will b affected on edibles,but the temp will sterilize

I know heat will sterilise biologicals but are you sure it destroys any toxins. I don't know if there are any but bacteria and mold often produce them.

A

asphalt

I grew this plant in the back yard in my vegetable garden. I first noticed powdery mildew on the Zuchini plants. I think it has spread to my big solid pot plant. I cut away all the bad buds I could find and did a major pruning on all the fan leaves which had white powdery mildew on it. My concern is that it is all over the buds. We shall see what happens.

At this late stage in the game I don't want attack the problem with chemicals without having a good understanding how they change, if they do at all, when burned. Some medical marijuana producers got nabbed with some chem in their distributions. I'll stay all organic for this plant. I think it's toast. I appreciate all the suggestions. Professional farming of cannabis is now a course at a Canadian community college, or so I heard.

I'd like to get my hands on their text books...

fatawa

fatawa

I know heat will sterilise biologicals but are you sure it destroys any toxins. I don't know if there are any but bacteria and mold often produce them.
it will just taste like shit.u will hav to low dose it to not taste.

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

Got Bot?

Let us not confuse Mildew with Mold. They are NOT the same. I have never seen botrytis mold indoors in my grows.

This is what we are talking about - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botrytis_cinerea

I get this _every_ year in outdoor grow. The deal is it spreads like wildfire up the stem INSIDE the buds. Usually the first tell is a sugar leaf in the denser part of the bud seems to die and brown (quickly). If you spread the flower open at this point, you will see the infection. IF you are lucky, or have a strain that tends to spread out flower nodes, you can surgically remove the bad bit. You have to check below and above that flower for ANY sign of brown die-off. Discard anything infected.

If ambient humidity is low, the die-off becomes powdery. Which means any manipulation of the infection will spread mold spores. If ambient humidity is higher, it can be almost like a slime. If you fail to remove an infection before putting up for cure, the mold will continue to spread and consume until either A: humidity drops low enough to halt growth or B: The mold cannot believe it ate the whole thing (burp). My first couple of grows years back were almost sacrifical in that I lost half the grow to this mold. And every agricultural effort in this valley has similar problems they spray their way out of.

So depending on ambient and overnite humidity - this can consume the entire cola in 3 or so days. AND the spores are now airborne, so time is of the essence. I take branches one at a time and find and remove affected flowers or toss if not limited to a small area. Once you can see the evidence in the picture starting this thread - that flower and probably the ones surrounding are all toast. Clipping it off while on the plant, and not immediately harvesting to parse the bad parts, rarely works.

This year I grew a Zimbabwe Poison - awesome, huge dense buds. I lost some of it, but not all because I knew it was likely coming and pounced before the Bitch Bot claimed it for her own.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I've seen this on buds that sat too long past harvest time. Last year after the second cut the leftover buds weren't trimmed off soon enough and this stuff broke out everywhere. We had some rain that made some serious mud out of the greenhouse floor. Lots of moisture and the proper fans hadn't been installed in the greenhouse yet. Never seen it on a healthy plant with all the other buds green.

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

Don't spray anything on those plants this late in the game. Cut that out and keep it movin man.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

u need more air flow are they being blocked by something ?

A

asphalt

Usually the first tell is a sugar leaf in the denser part of the bud seems to die and brown (quickly). If you spread the flower open at this point, you will see the infection. IF you are lucky, or have a strain that tends to spread out flower nodes, you can surgically remove the bad bit. You have to check below and above that flower for ANY sign of brown die-off. Discard anything infected.

Yeah, I found a couple of those dead sugar leaves as well. I chopping out the bad where I find it and hoping it doesn't spread to all buds. I'm not holding my breath though. I have thinned out everything around the plant and clipped most of the fan leaves on the plant. I guess the powdery mildew is a separate problem. Does that stuff grow on the flowers as well or does it stick to the leaves only?

What do they spray in the valley as prevention and when in the grow cycle do they spray it?

Thanks much for all your comments and suggestions!

fatawa

fatawa

I must say I did plant all my plants in the garden pretty close together. I've thinned it out now but too late, I think, for this years growth.
no worries...you should learn something every grow or you aint trying/paying attention enough to them.but airflow is crucial...

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

no worries...you should learn something every grow or you aint trying/paying attention enough to them.but airflow is crucial...
Probably the most important part of becoming a successful grower. I've had just about every problem one can have. IF I get something, i recognize it immediately, and most times it can be fixed. The best cure is prevention

Top Bottom