The Dreaded Hemp Russet Mite (aculops Cannibicola)

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I know a lot of farmers now adays have to do battle with these little buggers. I'll "knock on wood" and say so far I have been spared.

As most of us know, prevention is worth a ounce of cure or lb of bud. :D So having a IPM in place and practiced religiously is the 1st step to avoiding these pests. Keeping in mind that Aculops cannibicola are suppossed to be predatory on cannabis as its sole host. Thats the good news. So if you had or have russets once your battle is over do a thorough disinfect and cleaning of your area. Then give your groom a break and dont bring in any fresh cannabis plants for a few weeks. This will give the mites life cycle a chance to cycle thru of any live pests or eggs that may have survived your initial assault/cleaning and if there arent any live plants they will starve.

The 2nd line of defense is to restrain your self from taking 2nd or 3rd party cuts without a intense visual inspection and a period of quarantine to assure your not starting the cycle all over again.

It has been my experience that once a pest is established to the point where nuclear options are required the grower has been way to lax in keeping their IPM active. So what am I saying? Well regular pest scouting as much of a PITA is, is one of the single most important things you can do to avoid heartache and lost crops.
Part of being a master at your craft is not only the ability to turn out the greasy dank, but also learning how to identify and treat any pest issues while in the early stages of development. Learn all you can about the most common pests and how to treat your garden without causing more damage. Effectively knowing your adversary will aid you in IDing the issue and not treat for a pest that you dont even have or treat with the wrong compounds due to not having a real sense of what pest your dealing with.

If you are infested you have been lagging and the steps you must take will hopefully humble you to the point where you will in the future be more proactive at the front end and not wait until you have a crisis on hand.

the following is a article out of Colo with more information on the hemp russet mite. Keep in mind that again prevention is paramount as these fokkers are tough to deal with due to lack of studies and little understanding about this particular pest and what treatments are the most effective.

At the bottom of the post I will also link a page that will help you ID eggs, adults and general leaf margin symptoms. Peace out

Hemp Russet Mite
(Aculops cannibicola)

https://encrypted-tbn0.invalid.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHtyQV4qLkMZhCZ_nHrDVZZgVGUcT-jcr0K4CmmDtJ6DHKIMVC

Damage and Diagnosis.

Initial signs of infestation are subtle and easily missed. They can also vary among cultivars. A slightly curling along the edges of leaves is the most common symptom observed, but this is not expressed in all plants. Others respond to having a general dullness of leaves (russetting). As infestations progress areas of leaves may have visible yellow or brown spotting. Foliage also may become brittle foliage, often resulting in breaks at the leaf petiole. Ultimately, highest populations usually occur on developing buds, which results in buds that are smaller and of reduced quality. The hemp russet mite is extremely small – much smaller than the two spotted spider mite - and normally cannot be observed without some magnification. They have an elongate body and pale color, typical of most eriophyid mites (the mite family Eriophyidae). During heavy infestations flowering structures may take on a beige appearance, the combined result of leaf injuries and the color of the mites observed when as the mass on the heads.

https://encrypted-tbn0.invalid.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKQ73bmmWgeAY4_oxxHONEXRRQis7GeyxQ5-x-dgcOMXqS_eZ9

https://encrypted-tbn0.invalid.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPTPx6elBOtpyTqyQ_PSeWejT3F1bcIB0PT5QXyhZ6jFOVzCsB

https://encrypted-tbn0.invalid.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYx3gqJSgNSl7uZdYblsN246owclGTfLSZZdqpPNKcxZlKSyvTrw

Russet mite pic with eggs

https://encrypted-tbn0.invalid.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRm6ihAzXqc0FAO0UK0mb9feHLXjmoPCmhYto0UEuKJyvhOZVS-

Biology Notes.
The biology of hemp russet mite is very little studied but is likely similar to related species of eriophyid mites (e.g., tomato russet mite). It reproduces by production of eggs that is then followed by two immature stages (protonymph, deutonymph), followed by an adult. The entire life cycle (initially laid egg through first egg laying by the adult) is reportedly completed in about a month at temperatures of 77 F. Each adult will produce from 10-50 eggs. Cannabis is the only known host for this species and similar rust mites (e.g., tomato russet mite) do not produce any resistant stages. Therefore, nymphs and adults off the host are unlikely to survive for more than a few days to a couple of weeks, at the most. On their own, hemp russet mites can crawl only very short distances. However, they are readily carried on air currents and fans will quickly spread mites in enclosed areas. Some hemp russet mites may also be transferred from plant to plant on hands and clothing.

Management of Hemp Russet Mite:
Prevention and Quarantine. Hemp russet mite survives solely on Cannabis plants and indoor plantings become infested through the introduction of infested plant materials (e.g., live plants, cuttings). Quarantine steps, as for prevention of powdery mildew and spider mites, should be considered the first step in prevention of hemp russet mite. This primarily involves isolating all new live plants/cuttings from the primary growing area, until the plants can be determined to be mite-free. Plants grown from seed will be free of hemp russet mite. Biological Controls. Several predatory mites, discussed above in relation to two spotted spider mite, will also feed on eriophyid mites. No testing of these has been done with hemp russet mite.

Sprays
Horticultural oils (described above) are likely to be the most effective spray for control of hemp russet mite. These products that primarily act by smothering and likely can active stages as well as eggs. However, oil sprays have no residual effects on plants and can only potentially kill mites that are covered with the oil at the time of application. Therefore, oils must be applied very thoroughly. Since hemp russet mites are so tiny they may shelter within very small cavities such as around leaf veins, in curled margins of leaves, or in folds within buds and sprays must reach all of these sites. Also available are some “essential oil” products, usually sold as ready-to-use sprays, which contain oils of rosemary, thyme, peppermint or clove, or other natural products. Some control of hemp russet mite can be expected with at least some of these products but there has been very little testing of these products under conditions similar to those that occur in cannabis production - or against any kinds of rust/russet mites. Furthermore, since testing of these types of pesticides is often minimal, it is strongly suggested that they initially be applied only to a small area to determine if there are any problems with plant injury (phytotoxicity). Russet mites are also susceptible to sulfur, and a few sulfur-containing insecticides are allowable in cannabis production. However, plant injury can occur from oil sprays if sulfur residues are present on the crop.

Eradication of Hemp Russet Mites
Once established in an active growing area, hemp russet mite will be extremely difficult to eradicate, although should be somewhat simpler than for twospotted spider mite. Disinfestation requires that there be extended period during which no host plants are present. As Cannabis is the only host plant of the hemp russet mite and survival of the mites off the plants is short (a couple of weeks maximum), eradication should be possible with a sufficient host free period.

Heres the link I spoke of http://hempinsects.agsci.colostate.edu/hemp-insects/

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Since the site wouldnt post the pics if you want good pics of what they and thier eggs look like this is the source I got the above info from http://webdoc.agsci.colostate.edu/hempinsects/PDFs/Hemp russet mite with photos.pdf

And this link is an awesome resource for identifying and dealing with numerous pest that mess with cannabis. Also has a great list of natural predators to deal with each crisis.
http://hempinsects.agsci.colostate.edu/hemp-insects/

Mr.D0p3sauce

Mr.D0p3sauce

I gota agree with cactus here. Preventative maintenance is always the key to A good crop. A good consistent spraying and rotating sprays every 3-4 days for 3-4 weeks straight will do the job in wiping them out. But you gota be aggressive and not be lazy. If you got them and you catch it in veg. Treat it for 3-4 weeks straight to break the life cycle reproduction. DO NOT go to flower until you wipe em out or you might as well toss your crop now.... If you have em in flower and and still in week 1 and 2 then there's still time to save and salvage an ok crop if you deploy swariski mites. ORDER THEM NOW... dont wait order it like TODAY. Overkill this part and buy way way more then you need to only keep them at bay till you finish. You will be able to pull off a decent batch but damage from the first 2 weeks and all the black and dead pistils will not be reversible. It will start budding new hairs tho and start blooming again. It will just take a while to get going.... If your pistils are dying and black and buds brown and it's been past 3 weeks flowering and your just now trying to fix the problem and you confirm you have russet or broad mites.... Sorry bro... It's a loss at this point or your shit will look like broccoli in the end... I hate to say this but cut it down, toss all your dirt, wash all your pots, bleach all your trays and reservoir.... after all this.. re do your walls redo your floors. Once you relined the room. Turn on all the lights and dehuey and let it run for like 5-6 hours at 120f+ to cook every last 1 of them left in the room. Dont cool the room or run ac an fans. You want to roast all the mites and eggs.... hopefully after all that and some praying you will have taken them out..... after that.... Once you start over. DO the sprays, rotate every 3-4 days, and do it for 3-4 weeks. You should be bug free after that..... From there... don't make the mistake of picking up random clones or going in contaminated rooms and bringin them home..... I know that was a long read. But if you done battle them. They are no Fuking joke.....smh.... I hope to never run Into them again.

Oh yeah they are small. Like real small. Much much smaller than spider mite. You will not see them with naked eye. Get a good scope with at least 30x and start treatment right away once you spot em. GOOD LUCK....

Last edited:
Organikz

Organikz

@jumpincactus very well written. Thank God I'm on the east coast. Keep those russet mites over there.

H

Hopefulfarmr

Does anyone know if the tomato russet can live on hemp?

kalopatchkid

kalopatchkid

If you think russets are bad, just wait till you have to deal with Root Aphids.

Wettable, Micronized Sulfur is by far the most effective control for Russets if you are still in veg. $10 worth will eliminate them in one week. I hit everything a week or two before entering flower.
Also, you dont need a 30x scope to see them. They look like little brown fibers at the leaf junction. In severe infestations, it looks like brown fuzz and its actually millions of mites giving it that texture

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
If you think russets are bad, just wait till you have to deal with Root Aphids.

Wettable, Micronized Sulfur is by far the most effective control for Russets if you are still in veg. $10 worth will eliminate them in one week. I hit everything a week or two before entering flower.
Also, you dont need a 30x scope to see them. They look like little brown fibers at the leaf junction. In severe infestations, it looks like brown fuzz and its actually millions of mites giving it that texture

Gross
Glad I've never had them. I burn sulphur religiously in veg though.

Top Bottom