The Dreaded Powdery Mildew

• Thread starter Ganjjah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Ganjjah

I got 5 plants from a friend who has been growing outdoors for over ten years. One is a Girl-scout Cookie..four are Dark Alien OG. The plants are about 18" tall growing in soil under (3) 200 watt cfl lights..two days ago they were fine. Now there are some leaves that are showing signs of white powdery mildew. Is there a way to prevent the mildew from forming? I really do not want to destroy the plants. We are on a limited budget, so trashing will delay a cycle. I am hoping that these plants can be saved. We only have these 5 plants. Any ideas on what i can do? Thank-you.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

Here's what I use.
Eagle 20 ( do some reading before using)
Pm wash- npk industries
Mildew cure-safer gro

Also make sure your humidity is in check and that the room has proper air flow. If these two arent right, you will prob continue to have issues

G

Ganjjah

Here's what I use.
Eagle 20 ( do some reading before using)
Pm wash- npk industries
Mildew cure-safer gro

Also make sure your humidity is in check and that the room has proper air flow. If these two arent right, you will prob continue to have issues

Thankyou for that information. I have looked into the Eagle 20 option but unfortunately with the budget issue it is a little bit expensive. I will be purchasing some as soon as i can afford to but for now i was also recommended to use "Safer-Gro" Mildew Cure. I am hoping that this product will function adequately enough until i can buy the Eagle 20. I do own a manual pump feeder/sprayer and the humidity fluctuates between 40-55%.

G

Ganjjah

can you show us a picture?

yes took two pics
CAM00399
CAM00400

K

kolah

It looks very early and minor. How far along are you? If it were me, I'd try some baking soda mixtures first. I used it and got rid of it. Some folks use a vinegar solution as well. Both alter pH drastically making it a poor environment for mold to grow in. Extreme heat will stop it as well.

The big prob with PM is once it starts it can hide out anywhere and come back again and again.

Once those guys are done or if you decide to shit-can the grow you'll have to heavily disinfect your grow room.

I am always leery of taking in plants from other places...but that's just me. Personally, I do not use any toxic chemicals or so-called "safe" chemicals. Hell, some growers spray plants down with chemical stuff just as a preventive measure which I totally disagree with. I have been checking out some of the CO dispensary weed and reading their list of chemicals they use and it's mind boggling how much shit they are dumping on weed.

But everyone has freedom of choice. "to each his own." You can grow good pot indoors OR outdoors without all the shit-sprays. That's just my opinion though. And I have done it successfully outdoors in a greenhouse in very rough climates.

G

Ganjjah

It looks very early and minor. How far along are you? If it were me, I'd try some baking soda mixtures first. I used it and got rid of it. Some folks use a vinegar solution as well. Both alter pH drastically making it a poor environment for mold to grow in. Extreme heat will stop it as well.

The big prob with PM is once it starts it can hide out anywhere and come back again and again.

Once those guys are done or if you decide to shit-can the grow you'll have to heavily disinfect your grow room.

I am always leery of taking in plants from other places...but that's just me. Personally, I do not use any toxic chemicals or so-called "safe" chemicals. Hell, some growers spray plants down with chemical stuff just as a preventive measure which I totally disagree with. I have been checking out some of the CO dispensary weed and reading their list of chemicals they use and it's mind boggling how much shit they are dumping on weed.

But everyone has freedom of choice. "to each his own." You can grow good pot indoors OR outdoors without all the shit-sprays. That's just my opinion though. And I have done it successfully outdoors in a greenhouse in very rough climates.

I would love to grow outdoors but my lot is such that the hill behind me lets people see into the yard. Even with a 12' fence..but with that would come the law. So my Only option is to grow indoors. I am using our guest room. With My wife's ok of course. As she is now starting to enjoy its benefits as well.

I mainly use it to ease my joint pain in my hands, knees and back. My wife uses it at night to help her sleep and stay off the pills(Ambien).

The room is 11'x12' with a closet of 3'x8'., both with a ceiling height of 8 feet. I am in the process of building a high rack bar about 6" from the ceiling to hold a 600watt light kit. Then will be mounting in each ceiling corner 200-300watt cfl lights(total of 4) to help compensate with the stronger light in the center.

We are now using the closet to keep these 5 girls going. They are under (3) 200watt cfl lights now. The light cycle is 18/6 and will not switch to 12/12 until they are about 5' tall. At this moment they are 18" tall. And just finished spraying them down with Mildew cure and Neem oil. And instead of using plain water, I was told to use carbonated water. So they now sit in the guest bathroom to absorb their treatment.

salmonslammer

salmonslammer

I would use triple action plus by fertilome you can find it online its a miticide plus a fungicide it works on powdery mildew as well as downey mildew and is a ovacide that kills the eggs of those nasty bugs ,oh and its all organic >just my 2 cents:D

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I got 5 plants from a friend who has been growing outdoors for over ten years. One is a Girl-scout Cookie..four are Dark Alien OG. The plants are about 18" tall growing in soil under (3) 200 watt cfl lights..two days ago they were fine. Now there are some leaves that are showing signs of white powdery mildew. Is there a way to prevent the mildew from forming? I really do not want to destroy the plants. We are on a limited budget, so trashing will delay a cycle. I am hoping that these plants can be saved. We only have these 5 plants. Any ideas on what i can do? Thank-you.

Limited budget is as simple as baking soda in water pH'd to at least 10. E20..? Sure, if you want. Hydrogen peroxide..? Supah-cheap and easy to access, as easy as baking soda, all day long. I have more cheap tricks in my repertoire, too. ;)

NightShift

NightShift

A good option is Actinovate which is an organic fungicide powder. Basically a bacteria that you can foliar spray or drench that prevents and eliminates all types of diseases including pythium, botrytis, damping off and powder mildew. I just got a clone that ended up with powder mildew also. I killed the clone and sprayed everything in veg with sns 244 c fungicide spray which is Thyme, clove and rosemary extracts which are all fungicides. Then I sprayed everything with Actinovate yesterday. We will see if it works. Another thing I am gonna do in about four days is spray Azamax because the neem oil extract is also a fungicide. Also a foliar spray with a ph of 8 or above will kill the fungus so when u mix the spray keep the ph high. I am gonna try these organic options before going to the eagle 20. I suggest you do also.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Milk is another excellent, cheap and easily available option that's proven in cucurbit field studies. It's also very good for your plants, especially if you use RAW milk. (Capitalized for emphasis, but I do roll using RAW papers and crutches. :D ) 10% solution.

NightShift

NightShift

Check underneath your leaves with magnifier like a loupe . On the second pic it looks like your leaf has some thrip damage. Spinosad will take care of them with ease and it is a harmless bacteria. $8 dollars at orchard supply

sensicloud

sensicloud

Eagle 20 is the big guns. If you use that you don't need any other spray. It is a systemic fungicide and in a class of its own compared to other remedies. Be careful with eagle 20 and any other systemic fungicide/insecticides.

soserthc1

soserthc1

I would love to grow outdoors but my lot is such that the hill behind me lets people see into the yard. Even with a 12' fence..but with that would come the law. So my Only option is to grow indoors. I am using our guest room. With My wife's ok of course. As she is now starting to enjoy its benefits as well.

I mainly use it to ease my joint pain in my hands, knees and back. My wife uses it at night to help her sleep and stay off the pills(Ambien).

The room is 11'x12' with a closet of 3'x8'., both with a ceiling height of 8 feet. I am in the process of building a high rack bar about 6" from the ceiling to hold a 600watt light kit. Then will be mounting in each ceiling corner 200-300watt cfl lights(total of 4) to help compensate with the stronger light in the center.

We are now using the closet to keep these 5 girls going. They are under (3) 200watt cfl lights now. The light cycle is 18/6 and will not switch to 12/12 until they are about 5' tall. At this moment they are 18" tall. And just finished spraying them down with Mildew cure and Neem oil. And instead of using plain water, I was told to use carbonated water. So they now sit in the guest bathroom to absorb their treatment.

besides the PM issue did you say your not flipping till there 5 foot tall and putting in a room with 10ft ceiling ? if so there gonna stretch 2 * and your gonna have height issues

L.Burna

L.Burna

Go with a systemic fungicide if you want to get rid of it.. make sure you give your room a good scrub, then get yourself a sulfur burner. High ph water, milk, and h2o2 is not gonna get rid of anything. It may for a couple of days but the pm will come back and it gets harder to spray your plants down the further into flower they get.

Latest posts

Top Bottom