THE Fungus Gnat solution

• Thread starter BobaJob
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BobaJob

BobaJob

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but, here it is and I hope it helps. So i have tried to deal with fungus gnats and my last grow (only my 2nd granted) I was trying to use gnatol to cure the problem... well f**k me did I by chance stumble on the perfect NATURAL solution. My GF is always telling me to get rid of the spiders but me being me I left them alone.. Like they're only trying to earn a living ffs and they're not hurting anybody so leave them alone I said. wellll... I bought a few bags of cannabio terra plus soil (known for fungus gnats) and left it in the cupboard for at least a month... when I checked it a few weeks ago there were loooads of the buggers flying around the top of the bag when I disturbed the bag... I went in today and gave the bags a tap and nothing! none! nada! only thing i saw was a couple of spiders had legged it and had built webs over the top of the bag! SIMPLE solution. put ya soil in a cupboard (or somewhere warm enough to keep the buggers active) where there's lots of spiders and before the buggers get a chance to breed and lay eggs they get cought or, on their way out... but over time it gets rid of the bastards lol. BINGO! 100% natural solution and simple too!

S

Shitstain421

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but, here it is and I hope it helps. So i have tried to deal with fungus gnats and my last grow (only my 2nd granted) I was trying to use gnatol to cure the problem... well f**k me did I by chance stumble on the perfect NATURAL solution. My GF is always telling me to get rid of the spiders but me being me I left them alone.. Like they're only trying to earn a living ffs and they're not hurting anybody so leave them alone I said. wellll... I bought a few bags of cannabio terra plus soil (known for fungus gnats) and left it in the cupboard for at least a month... when I checked it a few weeks ago there were loooads of the buggers flying around the top of the bag when I disturbed the bag... I went in today and gave the bags a tap and nothing! none! nada! only thing i saw was a couple of spiders had legged it and had built webs over the top of the bag! SIMPLE solution. put ya soil in a cupboard (or somewhere warm enough to keep the buggers active) where there's lots of spiders and before the buggers get a chance to breed and lay eggs they get cought or, on their way out... but over time it gets rid of the bastards lol. BINGO! 100% natural solution and simple too!
I used cinnamon!

dreamgreen

dreamgreen

A good soaking of Peroxide and water recently killed em all for me. Bout 30/70 mix.

dreamgreen

dreamgreen

They will be back.:D They always come back.
Yeah, there’s always a few hanging around every time i check. I do have a spider in 3 of 4 bottom corners now, with scores of dead gnats under each one. 🕷🖤🤘🏻Might do another peroxide rinse soon...

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Yeah, there’s always a few hanging around every time i check. I do have a spider in 3 of 4 bottom corners now, with scores of dead gnats under each one. 🕷🖤🤘🏻Might do another peroxide rinse soon...
Only takes one weak rooted/rotted plant to set off the alarm.. Gnats will seak them out that sick plant we refuse to kill.From there they make it messy and spread the disease from plant to plant. That’s why people see problems from gnats. The gnats themselves don’t do much harm at all.
If your going to kill all your bennies with peroxide you might as well use physan20, works a lot better then peroxide and turns to nitrogen after a couple of days.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Only takes one weak rooted/rotted plant to set off the alarm.. Gnats will seak them out that sick plant we refuse to kill.From there they make it messy and spread the disease from plant to plant. That’s why people see problems from gnats. The gnats themselves don’t do much harm at all.
If your going to kill all your bennies with peroxide you might as well use physan20, works a lot better then peroxide and turns to nitrogen after a couple of days.

Got a better solution?

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Got a better solution?
I gave him one...⬆
I’ll post it again for you though, try to avoid any and all sick rooted plants in your garden. A lot of people just pot them up anyway and this is where you are screwing yourselves. Or if you let them try out to much to the point of wilt and the roots start dying you are setting up a playground for the gnats. Any and all root disease calls them in. Hot grow rooms warm water is a huge problem for newergrowers that the bad bacteria just thrives in and then calls up the gnats on their cell phone.
If your having problems that you can’t nip in the butt use Promis insecticide. It’s mild imicide but I would only use it once when your clone is rooted.
The pesticide only works for a few weeks so if you still have sick plants they will come right back.
Husbandry needs address, then root problems then the gnats if they are still in the garden.
Physan20 will kill every last larvae on contact and it’s a fungicide/virucide. It’s like bleach without the residue. Works very well.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well after 5 years only ever seeing a couple gnats when i had a packed room. And then not again when i thinned it out some and dried the pots out better i brought in a heavily infested load of soil.

I used sticky cards for control and mosquito dunks for bti. Which reduced the masses but has left me with a few flyers here and there that are in new plants in new soil.

Is azamax the next step. I really dont want pesticides or predator bugs in my indoor garden.

Its tough to coordinate with the staggared perpetual wih all different watering cycles and they are down to only a couple seen here and there. Took 3 weeks to have any real amount on the hanging overhead sticky cards now.

But like @Trustfall said. They will be back.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

I didn't read all the posts so I dunno if it's been mentioned but I find nematodes work better than anything I,v tried and believe me I,v been battling the little fucks for years with all sorts of shit like gnat off ,gnatrol, de , sand and they are almost impossible to completely eradicate in a perpetual grow but what I v found controls em best is nematodes in conjunction with sticky yellow traps .give all your medium nematodes then 2/3 weeks later another dose and that wipes em out long enough to let your plants recover and get a harvest in without half your roots being chewed away.alot of growers don't take em seriously enough just shrugging em off as a harmless annoyance.if you even just see the odd couple here and there get a loupe and check your roots and youl see there's loads of visible damage.none of those fine hairs needed to uptake nutrition and they look uneven were they,v been eaten.
If anyone in the UK wants contact details for a really good nematode supplier hit me up.£18 Will do several square feet of soil (about 10 i think) so with pots that would probably be double that at least so 18 quid would do at least 20 square meters of grow space if useing pots.probably more.it says u need to use it all at once but u don't.just use half then seal it back up with tape and stick it in a bag with a boveda pack and use it for the 2nd dose instead of buying 2 seperate doses.its well worth the money.if u have fg before goin into flower giving the plants fg nematodes will gain u way more than £18 worth of nugs

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Let Mosquito Dunks float in a 5 gallon bucket of water, the water will be full of BTi bacteria that will kill the larva when you water the plants ....Genius! :p

These have not worked as well as i hoped. It was suggested that i try microbe lift. A stronger solution of bti.

BobaJob

BobaJob

I thought to myself pretty much the same thing - they've lived with plants in the wild and have done for god only knows how long.. I had them all the way through my last grow (got the numbers right down with gnatol) but they didn't really seem to do any harm at all. My 2nd ever grow and I got just under 16oz dried cured from a 600w. that's like 0.74gpw which i'm sure isn't too shabby... and I only vegged for 4 weeks, was poisoning my plants with chlorinated water for 5 weeks too sooooo... how much harm do they actually really do? They feed on rotting plant matter or fungus or something right? well if ya plants' roots aren't rotting then????

FerrinTM

FerrinTM

Nettles and gnat nix, first time I ever grew in soil indoors I got gnats. Tried a few things, then I got some Nettles and gnat nix. The nettles keep the parents away, and the gnat nix keeps the larvae from surviving.

I have since switched to DWC.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I thought to myself pretty much the same thing - they've lived with plants in the wild and have done for god only knows how long.. I had them all the way through my last grow (got the numbers right down with gnatol) but they didn't really seem to do any harm at all. My 2nd ever grow and I got just under 16oz dried cured from a 600w. that's like 0.74gpw which i'm sure isn't too shabby... and I only vegged for 4 weeks, was poisoning my plants with chlorinated water for 5 weeks too sooooo... how much harm do they actually really do? They feed on rotting plant matter or fungus or something right? well if ya plants' roots aren't rotting then????

I actually grew my largest yielding plant ever during the peak of my infestation.

But the disease spreading possibility is sure a concern.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Chlorinated water is not going to poison your plants. The chlorine is not taken up by the plant.

Top Bottom