The future of LED Grow Light

• Thread starter allenG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

allenG

The wattages of LED Grow Light keeps going up, do you think the future of it will be just the increase of wattages?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I just bought a programmable ac infinity. They just raised the standard. No doubt next generation leds will all be programmable.
AC Infinity isn't the first to do that ... but AC Infinity is a company to watch going forward because they are offering great stuff! ... Programmable lights, 2000D canvas in their tents, humidity sensing exhaust fans just to name a few. They are focused on offering quality products.

Anthem

Anthem

The wattages of LED Grow Light keeps going up, do you think the future of it will be just the increase of wattages?
The problem with LED Wattages going up is this causes the plant to work harder. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. Good side is more plant matter and quicker turns. Now for the bad side, once you get to something like some of the new stuff I am seeing. Say the Fluence Spyder 2H you are looking at an increase of 28 percent PPFD over the Spyder 2I. The Spyder 2I with CO2 is hard to master because of the nutrient needs of the plant as it grows. A 28 percent increase in PPFD is going to cause headaches for the growers. The plant is going to be up taking required nutrients at nearly the same increase. Couple this with the additional requirements LED's but on the nutrient profile required for the plants and you are going to see some people struggle to keep up with the plants nutrient requirements. Some will figure it out and some will not.

Madmax

Madmax

I think they need to get leds to produce more heat because there efficiency goes out the window when winter rocks up..specially if your growing outdoors in an insulated shed..i wouldnt have the faintest how to tune the spectrum but it would b very handy.i dont think the spectrum of the lumtek pro is quite right as it seems to grow long petioles on my plants and i think the spectrum has to do with that.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I dunno, I think we're going to start seeing OLED grow lights in the near future - but that's just my personal opinion - I cannot find any research to support that claim but with new technology comes new ideas - we'll see!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think they need to get leds to produce more heat because there efficiency goes out the window when winter rocks up..specially if your growing outdoors in an insulated shed..i wouldnt have the faintest how to tune the spectrum but it would b very handy.i dont think the spectrum of the lumtek pro is quite right as it seems to grow long petioles on my plants and i think the spectrum has to do with that.
More efficient lights mean you can use those extra watts for heat if you desire but are not forced into it

Blastfact

Blastfact

LED's are just going to get better and better. Light spectrum and control of spectrum will get better. As power draw and efficiency go up control will become much better. Programmability is a cheap and in many ways a flash in the pan marketing endeavor right now. Programmability will become great when we can adjust spectrum. Say crank up the blue when plants are seedling and in early veg to keep node spacing tight and control stretch. Or use the light drivers as heaters and not over drive the led's themselves by trimming output voltage to the leds and turning up resistance in the driver at a digital level. Just think how much heat a modern computer cpu really puts out and how little power it truly uses to produce the heat. Or excess power used to run a small group of tec's setup for cooling like a passenger jet. And the argument that they can get to powerful is BS. Turn the damn dimmer down. Power does not force growers into CO2 grows. I'm already capitalizing on lots of power in my tents. I can keep the dimmer setting low and the lights at a good height setting and keep the heat down in the summer. And then come winter raise the lights higher off the canopy in the winter and turn the dimmers up and keep a 6" fan blowing heat off the drivers to keep tent temps up and the nice blue spectrum spike helps control stretch while the orange and red spectrums do there job. It's just win, win, win no matter how you look at it. The engineers and manufactures already know how to do all this stuff and so much more. But the problem is the end users. How do you dumb it down so the average human,,, esp. stoner's can figure out how to use it. Because as it is now about 80% of the current end users haven't a clue about anything concerning led's and as the HPS/MH light tech dies as it should so are the users of the older tech that spent years learning how to adjust and manipulate there lights with different bulbs, reflectors, ballast, improved wiring/cooling and settings.

Last edited:
growsince79

growsince79

LED's are just going to get better and better. Light spectrum and control of spectrum will get better. As power draw and efficiency go up control will become much better. Programmability is a cheap and in many ways a flash in the pan marketing endeavor right now. Programmability will become great when we can adjust spectrum. Say crank up the blue when plants are seedling and in early veg to keep node spacing tight and control stretch. Or use the light drivers as heaters and not over drive the led's themselves by trimming output voltage to the leds and turning up resistance in the driver at a digital level. Just think how much heat a modern computer cpu really puts out and how little power it truly uses to produce the heat. Or excess power used to run a small group of tec's setup for cooling like a passenger jet. And the argument that they can get to powerful is BS. Turn the damn dimmer down. Power does not force growers into CO2 grows. I'm already capitalizing on lots of power in my tents. I can keep the dimmer setting low and the lights at a good height setting and keep the heat down in the summer. And then come winter raise the lights higher off the canopy in the winter and turn the dimmers up and keep a 6" fan blowing heat off the drivers to keep tent temps up and the nice blue spectrum spike helps control stretch while the orange and red spectrums do there job. It's just win, win, win no matter how you look at it. The engineers and manufactures already know how to do all this stuff and so much more. But the problem is the end users. How do you dumb it down so the average human,,, esp. stoner's can figure out how to use it. Because as it is now about 80% of the current end users haven't a clue about anything concerning led's and as the HPS/MH light tech dies as it should so are the users of the older tech that spent years learning how to adjust and manipulate there lights with different bulbs, reflectors, ballast, improved wiring/cooling and settings.
I like the light to automatically increase and decrease ppfd at scheduled times throughout the day. Automatically adding uv and ir at scheduled cycles would be great too. I've always been a fan of mixing lights too. I was looking at a outdoor volunteer praying in 100 sunlight this morning. When shade from the trees comes and goes the leaves go up and down several times a day. I want to try to copy that indoors.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

What you're describing would require a PLC (programmable logic controller) which will likely push the cost up at least at first ... However, what I'm hearing you say has me drooling even though the last thing I need is another light right now.
I like the light to automatically increase and decrease ppfd at scheduled times throughout the day. Automatically adding uv and ir at scheduled cycles would be great too. I've always been a fan of mixing lights too. I was looking at a outdoor volunteer praying in 100 sunlight this morning. When shade from the trees comes and goes the leaves go up and down several times a day. I want to try to copy that indoors.
Sounds ideal!

Blastfact

Blastfact

What you're describing would require a PLC (programmable logic controller) which will likely push the cost up at least at first ... However, what I'm hearing you say has me drooling even though the last thing I need is another light right now.

Sounds ideal!
They have had sunrise, sunset, seasonal cycles and moon cycle lighting for years for saltwater aquarium reef tanks. Corals are much more sensitive than weed to light cycles and how the corals react to light and moon cycles. And it really does not cost that much to do. But soon as something is marketed as hobby or tool for making money prices go through the roof. Harley has never produced a motorcycle worth $47k,,, never! But as long as some fool is willing to drop the money for a over priced horribly slow and out of date motorcycle Harley will make a few,,, well maybe not if they don't get there shit together and get factory's back open.

Anthem

Anthem

They have had sunrise, sunset, seasonal cycles and moon cycle lighting for years for saltwater aquarium reef tanks. Corals are much more sensitive than weed to light cycles and how the corals react to light and moon cycles. And it really does not cost that much to do. But soon as something is marketed as hobby or tool for making money prices go through the roof. Harley has never produced a motorcycle worth $47k,,, never! But as long as some fool is willing to drop the money for a over priced horribly slow and out of date motorcycle Harley will make a few,,, well maybe not if they don't get there shit together and get factory's back open.
First of all, I am not a Harley guy. But lets just say I can see the appeal some have for the bike. If I break this down to the simplest most basic reason why the bike sales it is the sound the engine makes. What makes that unique sound is the engine design. It is a 2 cylinder, 4 stoke motor that was designed many moons ago. The sound is created by the VEE TWIN desing and the lop created by one cylinder firing and the engine having to run another 405 degrees before the next cylinder fires and than cylinder #1 fires 315 degress after cylinder two. The sound is what sells the bike and while they could change it simply today they do not simply because of the sound.

BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines

Something I would like to see become widely available is auto-dimming features to control high/low temperature & humidity (high temps in my case).

I’m seeing very little of this technology available. Anyone have any first hand experience with auto-dimming light fixtures.

Buzzking

Buzzking

We are past whats needed in wattage… tuneable spectrums and information on them and efficiency will continue to improve are where we will see

Sounds ideal!
I agree with Aqua and what is being said about tuneable spectrums and was the primary reason I chose a Kind X750. Not automatic have to dial it in weekly but at least you have an option of when to dial things up. I’m no expert but so far the results look promising.

Last edited:
Blastfact

Blastfact

First of all, I am not a Harley guy. But lets just say I can see the appeal some have for the bike. If I break this down to the simplest most basic reason why the bike sales it is the sound the engine makes. What makes that unique sound is the engine design. It is a 2 cylinder, 4 stoke motor that was designed many moons ago. The sound is created by the VEE TWIN desing and the lop created by one cylinder firing and the engine having to run another 405 degrees before the next cylinder fires and than cylinder #1 fires 315 degress after cylinder two. The sound is what sells the bike and while they could change it simply today they do not simply because of the sound.
The Harley example against special lighting for corals and reef tanks was just a example of what people are willing to pay to be a part of a hobby...

Blastfact

Blastfact

Something I would like to see become widely available is auto-dimming features to control high/low temperature & humidity (high temps in my case).

I’m seeing very little of this technology available. Anyone have any first hand experience with auto-dimming light fixtures.
Your not going to see anything on a tech like this because all it's going to do is starve your plants of light when the real issue is environmental control. The only way anything like this is viable is to have more light/power then needed. I do this with my lighting. By having more over all light than I need I don't have to run the lights as hard and can keep my dimmer settings much lower and tent cooler in the summer months and come winter months I can raise the lights higher in the tent and raise the dimmers up to a higher setting and get some real heating effects out of the lights drivers and still keep my ppfd where I want it. And with the good blue spectrum spike my lights have that helps to keep stretch under control.

BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines

Your not going to see anything on a tech like this because all it's going to do is starve your plants of light when the real issue is environmental control. The only way anything like this is viable is to have more light/power then needed. I do this with my lighting. By having more over all light than I need I don't have to run the lights as hard and can keep my dimmer settings much lower and tent cooler in the summer months and come winter months I can raise the lights higher in the tent and raise the dimmers up to a higher setting and get some real heating effects out of the lights drivers and still keep my ppfd where I want it. And with the good blue spectrum spike my lights have that helps to keep stretch under control.
I run a SE3000 and what you’re describing is what I do. I’m currently running the light at 12 inches at 80% and I’m getting pretty even 800-900 ppfd (apogee mq610). I’m likely going to go to a SE5000 to capitalize on reduced/dimmed power draw.

Auto-dimming is a feature of many currently on the market controllers. Why wouldn’t you want a Wifi/app-controllable or automated dimming feature at your fingertips if need be? I’m all about having all these tools… even if I rarely use them. (What’s that old saying I’d rather have it and not need it?)

You have to understand not everyone lives in your climate. I’m in the south in a very hot state, it’s already over 100 deg. F here. The temperature outside can swing quite a bit from day to day here, and a dimming setting that worked yesterday may be running too hot today.

Blastfact

Blastfact

I run a SE3000 and what you’re describing is what I do. I’m currently running the light at 12 inches at 80% and I’m getting pretty even 800-900 ppfd (apogee mq610). I’m likely going to go to a SE5000 to capitalize on reduced/dimmed power draw.

Auto-dimming is a feature of many currently on the market controllers. Why wouldn’t you want a Wifi/app-controllable or automated dimming feature at your fingertips if need be? I’m all about having all these tools… even if I rarely use them. (What’s that old saying I’d rather have it and not need it?)

You have to understand not everyone lives in your climate. I’m in the south in a very hot state, it’s already over 100 deg. F here. The temperature outside can swing quite a bit from day to day here, and a dimming setting that worked yesterday may be running too hot today.
I'm in Oklahoma so? Just because controllers have a auto dimmer function still does not make it useful to control environmental conditions,,, esp. temps. Why would you dim lights and starve plants of light for temp control. It's far better to have proper AC and or exhaust fan control setup and ran on temp settings. I also have a MQ-610 so I can use my dimmers and yoyo's to control my lights and keep my ppfd right where I want it. Just having the MQ-610 is a massive leg up in understanding and working with ones lights that no controller has and more than likely will never have.

SSgrower

SSgrower

I had Viperspectra "reflector series", and for the same 450W capability I bought a Philzon FD 4500 "Full spectrum" w/dimmer. It helped my yield & control but now I need an Ac Infinity 6" inline fan if I want to grow during the Texas heat. I enjoy learning tech but too much can be challenging. Cheers SS.

Top Bottom