THE GAME: Guess That Deficiency!!!

• Thread starter KambleFrost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

What’s going on with them? (Comment ideas if not here, or multiple different)

• Nute Burn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • K Deficiency (Potassium)

• N Deficiency (Nitrogen)

• Lockout

• Light burn

• Light Stress

• Cal-Mag Deficiency

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Root Rot

• Overwatering

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
KambleFrost

KambleFrost

Let’s play a game!
Could really use some help here identifying some issues on foliage with a couple of the girls
Nothing major yet but I’d like to figure it out and other forums have been completely useless with help :(

Promix BX
Ph 6.2
Ppm (nutes) 350 (water) 150
FloraTrio-CalMag-Thrive-HumicAcid-Recharge

The game guess that deficiency
The game guess that deficiency 2
The game guess that deficiency 3
The game guess that deficiency 4
mancorn

mancorn

I’ll play, #2 is starting to looks like this - which is a classic sign.

78C34FD4 5843 47EA 8429 C7E5AB572648

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'll use a lifeline and ask for pictures of the entire plant. I would lean magnesium but I don't think it's because of lack of although I can't say why yet.

PrairieHigh

PrairieHigh

I think you might have spider mites. Check the under side of the leafs where those little white dots are.

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

I'll use a lifeline and ask for pictures of the entire plant. I would lean magnesium but I don't think it's because of lack of although I can't say why yet.
Which number would you like a picture of the whole plant?

mancorn

mancorn

Yes my picture shows a Magnesium deficiency. (CalMag is both Ca & Mg, so a deficiency in one doesn’t mean there’s a deficiency in the other.) Spraying with epsom salt (you can buy a 1/2 gallon from most chain pharmacies for a couple bucks) is a quick remedy, but it’s not that there’s a shortage of Mg, as you say you’re using CalMag (and I’d bet the GH Grow also has Mg), rather there’s a nutrient, pH or watering problem.

Mg is taken up at a higher pH (6.5-7) so you should test your runoff pH (using this same method to test EC, https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/HO/HO-285-w.pdf) as you say your feed is down at 6.2. Could be the plant isn’t taking up all your added Mg if your pH is low. Also you say you’re feeding at 350, is that including your 150 plain water? (A ppm of 150 also indicates that you most likely have Ca in your water.) Or are you only feeding at 200 (350-150=200). Your plants are certainly past the seedling stage and 500-600 might be closer to where you want to be. (I personally think GH grow is too high in N, but also not sure how you’re using the trio.)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

2 and 4 look like mag. 1 and 3 looks like damage from guttation.

I think all fit the bill of over watering although the leaves are not showing signs of that. How are you temps day and night?

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

I think I’ve figured it out, I’ve been adding 2ml of green planet CalMag instead of the recommended 4ml
Could be the issue right there?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes my picture shows a Magnesium deficiency. (CalMag is both Ca & Mg, so a deficiency in one doesn’t mean there’s a deficiency in the other.) Spraying with epsom salt (you can buy a 1/2 gallon from most chain pharmacies for a couple bucks) is a quick remedy, but it’s not that there’s a shortage of Mg, as you say you’re using CalMag (and I’d bet the GH Grow also has Mg), rather there’s a nutrient, pH or watering problem.

Mg is taken up at a higher pH (6.5-7) so you should test your runoff pH (using this same method to test EC, https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/HO/HO-285-w.pdf) as you say your feed is down at 6.2. Could be the plant isn’t taking up all your added Mg if your pH is low. Also you say you’re feeding at 350, is that including your 150 plain water? (A ppm of 150 also indicates that you most likely have Ca in your water.) Or are you only feeding at 200 (350-150=200). Your plants are certainly past the seedling stage and 500-600 might be closer to where you want to be. (I personally think GH growth is too high in N, but also not sure how you’re using the trio.)
Yeah I was kinda thinking for a min it could be the ratio of cal to mag but at 150ppm tap it may not be.

Either way I'd prob stop cal mag and add a gram per gal of mag sulfate. And like you suggest give a foliar to jump start that.

And 100% they can use more nutes as you suggest.

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

2 and 4 look like mag. 1 and 3 looks like damage from guttation.

I think all fit the bill of over watering although the leaves are not showing signs of that. How are you temps day and night?
I think 1-3 are the ones that had their leaves stuck in the soil when they were shorter. Which could be stuck in nutrient soil?

could that be what you’re thinking?
My watering has been very precise and on a good schedule lately.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think I’ve figured it out, I’ve been adding 2ml of green planet CalMag instead of the recommended 4ml
Could be the issue right there?
I doubt it... I feel it's watering possibly affecting uptake and maybe seeing K and Mg first or more likely you calcium to magnesium ratio is locking out mag. Calcium in high ratio to mag can reduce mag uptake. Nitrogen in high ratio can increase demand for mag. Phosphorus in higher ratio can also increase demand for mag. Ph can also affect availability of mag.

I can't say 100% but I think it has more to do with ratios, availability or uptake.

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

Yeah I was kinda thinking for a min it could be the ratio of cal to mag but at 150ppm tap it may not be.

Either way I'd prob stop cal mag and add a gram per gal of mag sulfate. And like you suggest give a foliar to jump start that.

And 100% they can use more nutes as you suggest.
So the reason my nutes are relatively low is because I’m coming off of a flush due to super high ec runoff (1000ppm)
What about trying to full strength cal mag and see if that resolves the issue? Or simply foliage spray mag sups?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think 1-3 are the ones that had their leaves stuck in the soil when they were shorter. Which could be stuck in nutrient soil?

could that be what you’re thinking?
My watering has been very precise and on a good schedule lately.
Can you describe how you water? I hear that often and not to say you are wrong but there is a lot of bad watering info out there.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So the reason my nutes are relatively low is because I’m coming off of a flush due to super high ec runoff (1000ppm)
What about trying to full strength cal mag and see if that resolves the issue? Or simply foliage spray mag sups?
There is your answer... after a flush always feed or you will see deficiencies.

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

I doubt it... I feel it's watering possibly affecting uptake and maybe seeing K and Mg first or more likely you calcium to magnesium ratio is locking out mag. Calcium in high ratio to mag can reduce mag uptake. Nitrogen in high ratio can increase demand for mag. Phosphorus in higher ratio can also increase demand for mag. Ph can also affect availability of mag.

I can't say 100% but I think it has more to do with ratios, availability or uptake.
This is my current feed chart, you can see what I have going as well as the NPK ratio at the bottom.
Would you change anything?

C9738505 1403 4E1E 819B A95B269DB817
KambleFrost

KambleFrost

Can you describe how you water? I hear that often and not to say you are wrong but there is a lot of bad watering info out there.
Currently my watering schedule is based on weight.
I’ve got the hang pretty much of what feels saturated and what’s dry.
I don’t wait until bone dry as this supposedly can spike EC uptake from the roots and salts in the medium.
I water lightly with a low pressure water pump in my bucket, wait until I get about 10-15% runoff and they remain propped up on cooling racks for drainage and airflow.
Usually takes about 5 days in 1Gal pots

KambleFrost

KambleFrost

Mg is taken up at a higher pH (6.5-7) so you should test your runoff pH (using this same method to test EC, https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/HO/HO-285-w.pdf) as you say your feed is down at 6.2. Could be the plant isn’t taking up all your added Mg if your pH is low. Also you say you’re feeding at 350, is that including your 150 plain water? (A ppm of 150 also indicates that you most likely have Ca in your water.) Or are you only feeding at 200 (350-150=200). Your plants are certainly past the seedling stage and 500-600 might be closer to where you want to be. (I personally think GH grow is too high in N, but also not sure how you’re using the trio.)
So currently it’s 150ppm starting water only
Mix of RO and tap water. Just to give a base ppm that’s acceptable.
I add nutes to bring the total ppm to 400-450ppm which means I’m adding 300ppm of nutes.
Sorry if that was confusing at first.

Top Bottom