The Gift - CBD rich strain, progressing much later than all other plants?

• Thread starter TomH
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TomH

TomH

You've heard of "beer muscles"? Where someone drinks too much and feel undefeatable and gets into a fight with the biggest guy in the bar!
I am starting to feel like I had weed muscles a bit earlier this year.
Over the course of about 6 weeks, my daughter and I started 8 different bag seeds (of known source - all pulled from dispensary buds which had an occasional seed), and two feminized seeds (Northern Lights).
Out of 8 random bag seeds, we ended up with 8 female plants!!! WTF? Why didn't I buy lotto tickets?

I have:

3 - forbidden fruit
2 - Northern Lights (fem), one very purple, the other very green (both hermied, were cleaned up and appear ok now - I'll know when I smoke it I guess)
1 - Mango-sapphire with root problems (it's only 12" tall in week 6 of flower). I'll probably get a puff out of this one, but not much more
1 - Unknown, I thought I had it documented as a Pineapple Express auto, but it's definitely not an auto and I don't think it's a pineapple express. Buds are BLACK!
1 - China White
1 - Mango-sapphire - more normal than the above, but not a normal plant
1 - The Gift - CBD
All the other plants have been in full flower for 3 to 4 weeks now (two have been in flower for 6 weeks).
That CBD rich plant just tossed out the first pair of white hairs on 9/9/22.

My question is:
Do hemp/CBD rich strains grow at a significantly slower/later rate than THC strains?

TomH

TomH

I suppose it would have been helpful to state that all the plants are using the hours of sunlight to determine flowering.
I don't have a light sealed environment, so anything I grow, is using the sun as it's genetic clock.

PurpleLurple

PurpleLurple

You've heard of "beer muscles"? Where someone drinks too much and feel undefeatable and gets into a fight with the biggest guy in the bar!
I am starting to feel like I had weed muscles a bit earlier this year.
Over the course of about 6 weeks, my daughter and I started 8 different bag seeds (of known source - all pulled from dispensary buds which had an occasional seed), and two feminized seeds (Northern Lights).
Out of 8 random bag seeds, we ended up with 8 female plants!!! WTF? Why didn't I buy lotto tickets?

I have:

3 - forbidden fruit
2 - Northern Lights (fem), one very purple, the other very green (both hermied, were cleaned up and appear ok now - I'll know when I smoke it I guess)
1 - Mango-sapphire with root problems (it's only 12" tall in week 6 of flower). I'll probably get a puff out of this one, but not much more
1 - Unknown, I thought I had it documented as a Pineapple Express auto, but it's definitely not an auto and I don't think it's a pineapple express. Buds are BLACK!
1 - China White
1 - Mango-sapphire - more normal than the above, but not a normal plant
1 - The Gift - CBD
All the other plants have been in full flower for 3 to 4 weeks now (two have been in flower for 6 weeks).
That CBD rich plant just tossed out the first pair of white hairs on 9/9/22.

My question is:
Do hemp/CBD rich strains grow at a significantly slower/later rate than THC strains?
I have two low thc high CBD critical Mass plants from ilgm seeds. One is about 2 weeks out from harvest and looks great, but the other has been behind the whole season. It even started flowering later. Frankly with the weather here in se lower Michigan, it probably will not mature enough before I have to chop it and use it for hash. Grew this for the wife so one plant will last her a long long time. Lol

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I've been wondering the same thing. I bought some seeds of a strain called Cherry Tonic Web CBD and wanted to grow this one out for the medicine. I could not find any information about the strain online and Purple Caper Seeds, the breeder is completely unresponsive to questions about the strain (never buying anything from Purple Caper again), their website is junk. I took a chance with my greenhouse grow this summer and sure enough, this girl was at least 2 weeks behind in throwing out pistils and is noticeably behind the 3 other girls in the greenhouse. I am thinking all 3 others will be ready about the end of this month but WTF with the CBD plant, Thanksgiving? Don't know if I can make it that far with the harsh winters we have here.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I've been wondering the same thing. I bought some seeds of a strain called Cherry Tonic Web CBD and wanted to grow this one out for the medicine. I could not find any information about the strain online and Purple Caper Seeds, the breeder is completely unresponsive to questions about the strain (never buying anything from Purple Caper again), their website is junk. I took a chance with my greenhouse grow this summer and sure enough, this girl was at least 2 weeks behind in throwing out pistils and is noticeably behind the 3 other girls in the greenhouse. I am thinking all 3 others will be ready about the end of this month but WTF with the CBD plant, Thanksgiving? Don't know if I can make it that far with the harsh winters we have here.
with cbd plants you want to harvest early to get the most effect from cbd..
my harlequin was ready in 7 weeks flowering

TomH

TomH

Early as in clear trichs?
or just don't let things start getting too amber?
I'm currently just beginning week 7, the plant is supposed to go 9, but I can certainly make plans to take it now or at 8 if that's the proper direction for CBD.

This is all new to me with CBD

Thank You

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

This is new information to me as well. I'd be curious to hear more about that harvest window and what to look for when bringing the CBD plant down. Mine started to flower much later than the rest and the flowers filled out slower, but ARE catching up, got some pistils turning color but not much, the flowers are not nearly as compact and dense as I am used to seeing, kinda airy. Not a lot of frost either, but she is starting to yellow up already and has a wonderful aroma that I find hard to describe. Super excited about this strain so thanks for the info GNick55!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
that’s kinda a generalization
ok well look at it this way if it’s cbd your after but the strain has thc and you don’t want that than you would harvest early in the window if the plant already has a low thc level which is ok than harvest as normal..
i spent a little time researching for the harlequin i just grew.
so maybe continue reading.. google
“cbd harvest early”
and scroll through a few..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Early as in clear trichs?
or just don't let things start getting too amber?
I'm currently just beginning week 7, the plant is supposed to go 9, but I can certainly make plans to take it now or at 8 if that's the proper direction for CBD.

This is all new to me with CBD

Thank You
kinda depends on your cbd to thc ratio and if you care??
google cbd harvest early, scroll through a few sites..

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Yea, this strain is supposedly capable of 10% THC and 20% CBD, 1:2 ratio. I am interested in both sides of that equation so I am guessing a normal harvest then. I will do some searching on those terms and see what I can come up with. I have tried several times on this particular strain but can't find anything. Never thought about just doing a general "CBD" search as you suggest, good idea!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
E605DA29 1B06 454D 80D8 20B4FAA80403

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I've got one in my greenhouse that is called Cherry Tonic Web CBD and I've seen numbers of potential CBD/THC ratios at 2:1 with the potenital of 20% CBD and 10% THC. I am trying to get both halves of that equation so I am going to try to bring this one to is natural conclusion if I can. Weather has been holding out for the most part, had a nasty snow storm last week that was fairly stressful but I made it though it. Got some low 20's and teens coming up for night time temps in 10 days or so but for the most part, everything is looking as though I can go that far. I think I am setting a cutoff date of Nov 15 unless things get real nasty before then.

I've got a lot of pistils turning color, some frost, and the flowers are really putting on some bulk. This plant has the most amazing terpene profile I have ever smelt. I am going to get her lab tested and can't wait to see what the underlying terp profile is.

5344074f-a2ec-4e2f-a788-205c5bb32951-jpeg.1297647

302a550c-043f-4b02-a5c2-d46b1aabcf17-jpeg.1297645
156985fa-6b6b-4153-88ac-efa3eebfd7f2-jpeg.1297643

TomH

TomH

I've got one in my greenhouse that is called Cherry Tonic Web CBD and I've seen numbers of potential CBD/THC ratios at 2:1 with the potenital of 20% CBD and 10% THC. I am trying to get both halves of that equation so I am going to try to bring this one to is natural conclusion if I can. Weather has been holding out for the most part, had a nasty snow storm last week that was fairly stressful but I made it though it. Got some low 20's and teens coming up for night time temps in 10 days or so but for the most part, everything is looking as though I can go that far. I think I am setting a cutoff date of Nov 15 unless things get real nasty before then.

I've got a lot of pistils turning color, some frost, and the flowers are really putting on some bulk. This plant has the most amazing terpene profile I have ever smelt. I am going to get her lab tested and can't wait to see what the underlying terp profile is.

5344074f-a2ec-4e2f-a788-205c5bb32951-jpeg.1297647

302a550c-043f-4b02-a5c2-d46b1aabcf17-jpeg.1297645
156985fa-6b6b-4153-88ac-efa3eebfd7f2-jpeg.1297643
Nice looking plant, I love the long, narrow, almost dainty leaflets on the plant. My CBD plant has similar leaf structure, very apparent when looking at a Northern Lights or Forbidden Fruit, just how different the plants are. I guess that's the Sativa influence.
My plant is at about 7 weeks, 1 day. It's supposed to go 9, which I have no problem with from a patience standpoint (I actually have all the patience of a crack baby), but I just want the best from this seed.
It seemed like a long shot to start with.
About a year ago, I bought 2 - 1/8s of high CBD, low THC weed called "The Gift". Apparently seeds aren't available for purchase.
One bud dropped a seed, I found it in my grinder after working over a bud.
I dropped it into a napkin with distilled water and a small amount of epsom salts mixed in on 7/1/22.
It grew ever so slowly, it actually didn't seem to grow at all for weeks. Then one day, boom it was 3 feet tall and showing bud sites.

I'll get some pics this morning just before and just after lights on.
It's the last plant I have going, so I have now moved it inside (I know, potential for bringing in bad things, but we are expecting rain this week).
I'm either going to let her go just beyond her scheduled date (11/11/22), or pull her down this week.
I'm currently drying a forbidden fruit that went 11 weeks and 2 days (seemed like a year!).

TomH

TomH

Pics look a little droopy.
It’s right at the end of dark period and I fed/ watered yesterday, it generally is perkier, like an 18 year old’s tits.

It’s pleasantly citrusy in aroma, but I cannot smell for doodle-squat because of nose candy and the eighties.

I was late topping it, 6th node. Then I stripped off all but the 5th and 6th node branches.
It created a plant that is roughly 3.4 feet tall, 28 inches across, presenting a roughly square canopy to the light.
The 5th node branches are about half a plant shorter than the 6th node branches. I would leave only the sixth node if I had a mulligan.

FDFB1B18 D183 4AD4 944C 56AC51628534
492E80F1 7D2C 48C6 BC1C 5F49815C6C5A
AEBC1E72 2735 4572 816E A458E3304398
CC0B95C8 672F 41E0 B1B4 8BBC5B09DE9C
55D70A3D 8034 4A52 828F 049BB8185B4A
1DF4202C 1353 47C9 8A93 3BE47D4798A9
B6705527 87E0 4AD4 A292 51811DAA44C9
12A59EAA 2CD5 4137 959A 2A9D1527DF37
TomH

TomH

Today is day 1 of week 9 for this exquisite lady.

She’s starting to slow down on drinking, I presume feeding as well.

Night time temperatures are low fifties and low forties. Daytime it’s in the sixties.

I haven’t watered/fed since 10/29/22. A couple weeks earlier, it was sucking down a gallon every 3-4 days.

I know it’s a lot of effort for a plant that probably won’t even give a buzz, but if it can help with nerve pain and sleep, I’ll grow it again in a cociane heartbeat.

B7063D72 6842 4EAD 8927 A6780C4C099D
91AE46A3 07AE 4F37 B830 BB23BF4E1C70
5F6BD891 35F6 4CE8 9930 DD715FFCD779
F33ADAD4 C965 422F B545 B46BC712F61C
108117F7 138B 4C20 AC24 8C5DC7F90866
5C5F6C05 E6CE 42E6 AC25 145779FA9D62
7B2B6F47 F82A 4E92 9B47 8AE295C1F2E1
8EDEA240 38EC 428A A385 3A7438C0FB19
EC22E6F7 DF3C 4F29 AB53 5DAADA0F2E8F
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Nice! We are almost in exactly the same spot with our CBD plants. My 9 week strains have all finished and been harvested but this girl is still chugging along. Noticed just a few amber trichs yesterday and super cold weather is on the horizon, sub zero lows and highs in the single digits. It's almost time for her to come down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom