The Great Fungus Gnat Battle: VICTORY!

• Thread starter dreamgreen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dreamgreen

dreamgreen

When I first noticed them, I tried the simplest solution first: drench the soil with a 1:3 mix of 3% hydrogen peroxide and water to kill the eggs and larvae and allow it to get bone-dry before watering again, and also hang sticky strips to kill adults. The soil foamed up nice, and the sticky strips became coated with hundreds over the next few days—but by the time the soil was dry again, their numbers were even more than before.

So...i doubled the number of sticky strips to 4, hung them closer to the light, and drenched with the peroxide again. Again, a week passed and no real effect on their numbers, other than more dead gnats on the stickies.

Next step was to put some spiders in there...no shortage of them in my basement! I managed to get 6 in there and was happy to see webs in each of the four bottom corners the next day, with many dead gnats under the webs. Daily after that, more and more dead gnats in the corners and on the stickies, but again, no real dent in their overall numbers.

Sooo...frustration builds...next step was an insecticidal soap, sprayed directly on the leaves and soil, every day. I could see them die on contact. But again, 4 days of this and no change in overall gnat numbers. WTF?!?

This is when i added a 1” layer of fine sand on top of the dirt in each pot, after another peroxide drenching, and more soap spray. And lo and behold, their numbers started to decrease. Dare i hope...problem solved?

No. A week later the bastards were back in even greater numbers. And in addition, my two precious mother plants started getting some really funky twisted growth and thick stems, which i learned was likely due to root rot. Nasty smell at the drain holes confirmed it. The layer of fine sand was not letting the soil dry quickly enough. Plus the damned gnats were still getting to the wet soil to lay their eggs through the drain holes in the bottom of the pots.

What FINALLY worked was transplanting them into 2-gallon fabric pots (i used phat sacks), with the sand layer on top. That and a little Hydroguard took care of the gnats AND the root rot pretty quickly.

Literally thousands of dead gnats on the stickies and in the corners now, but only a few stray fliers! WOOHOO!

Hopefully my experience can help others entrenched in the gnat battle!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

With root rot and fungus gnats it sounds like you're running a little wet? A wet/dry cycle is your friend. A fan on the floor in conjunction with yellow stickies will take care of them too, good luck

dreamgreen

dreamgreen

With root rot and fungus gnats it sounds like you're running a little wet? A wet/dry cycle is your friend. A fan on the floor in conjunction with yellow stickies will take care of them too, good luck
I definitely was. Going to use more rice hulls and sand in the dirt next time, but for now i go 3-5 days between waterings to get to full dry. The fabric pots are soooo much better for soil drainage/aeration too.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I definitely was. Going to use more rice hulls and sand in the dirt next time, but for now i go 3-5 days between waterings to get to full dry. The fabric pots are soooo much better for soil drainage/aeration too.
Perlite or things to lighten you soil are great but work on your watering cycle if you really want to get ahead of these issues

Recommended to fill a pot with medium and keep it dry, and when the pot to be watered feels the same weight as the dry one you've set aside, that's when you water, that's a wet/dry cycle, good luck

dreamgreen

dreamgreen

Perlite or things to lighten you soil are great but work on your watering cycle if you really want to get ahead of these issues

Recommended to fill a pot with medium and keep it dry, and when the pot to be watered feels the same weight as the dry one you've set aside, that's when you water, that's a wet/dry cycle, good luck
That’s an excellent idea, keeping a dry pot around for comparison. Before, I was watering every other day no matter what. Now i end up doing it around every four days, when the sand and top inch of dirt are totally dry. Thanks!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

That’s an excellent idea, keeping a dry pot around for comparison. Before, I was watering every other day no matter what. Now i end up doing it around every four days, when the sand and top inch of dirt are totally dry. Thanks!
You got to go way past the top inch, that's what's causing your wetness problem; you either want to put your finger all the way to the knuckle or put your finger in one of the bottom holes like I do, there's a couple more tips amigo!

Go by weight is best thing you can do and if you let a plant dry out and it gets a little bit wilty it won't hurt the plant one time and you'll have a better idea of what dry really is

Baseball time Amigo the evil empire is in town tonight!

dreamgreen

dreamgreen

You got to go way past the top inch, that's what's causing your wetness problem; you either want to put your finger all the way to the knuckle or put your finger in one of the bottom holes like I do, there's a couple more tips amigo!
It ends up being the top 2”, counting the inch of sand on top. Appreciate the help!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

It ends up being the top 2”, counting the inch of sand on top. Appreciate the help!
2" Not enough dreamgreen, you'll be amazed how much water is still in that plant even when you think it's bone dry!

when you start transplanting you'll see that even though it might be completely dry it's still wet throughout the whole bottom!

By the way I don't recommend transplanting dry LOL tho I know some others may do it that way; I was just using that as an example of how much moisture even small pots can retain even when we may think they're dry

dreamgreen

dreamgreen

Not enough dream, you'll be amazed how much water is still in that plant even when you think it's bone dry!

when you start transplanting you'll see that even though it might be completely dry it's still wet throughout the whole bottom!

By the way I don't recommend transplanting dry LOL tho I know some others may do it that way; I was just using that as an example of how much moisture even small pots can retain even when we may think they're dry
Gotcha. Thanks again!

Top Bottom