The house made from hemp!

• Thread starter Marks370z
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Marks370z

Marks370z

This happened back in 2010, but not a lot of people have seen this or heard about it.

http://www.gizmag.com/first-us-hemp-house/17115/

"America's first house made primarily of hemp has been built. Using a product known as Hemcrete – a mix of industrial hemp, lime and water – a team of 40 volunteers, sub-contractors and designers have recently completed construction of a hemp house located in Ashville, North Carolina (NC). Eco-friendly design and construction company Push Design has gained the support of community members and local officials alike and now plans to build more."

Here's a more recent link from a site presenting a Scotland community starting their sustainable housing project in conjunction with English based companies specializing in hempcrete.

http://www.collective-evolution.com...community-begins-sustainable-housing-project/

I can't wait til I have a hemp house! We'll be saying farewell to the lumber biz soon enough...I hope.

germinator

germinator

Marks370z

Marks370z

Imagine roads being made out of hempcrete.

This company in BC, Canada teaches you how to basically build your own hemp house among loads of other professional sustainable hemp manufacturing. Link below.

Last edited:
neverbreak

neverbreak

hempcrete is an interestin lookin product..

We-Should-Try-This-Hempcrete-house-insulation.jpg

curious how it holds up to water. ya would think it would abasorb it some, but i guess they got it all figured out.

hempcrete-house-solar-windows-plastic.jpg

neverbreak

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

hempcrete is an interestin lookin product..

We-Should-Try-This-Hempcrete-house-insulation.jpg

curious how it holds up to water. ya would think it would abasorb it some, but i guess they got it all figured out.

hempcrete-house-solar-windows-plastic.jpg

neverbreak

when they mix it up one of the ingredients is lime which want's to return to the solid state, aka limestone, so one of the supposed features is that as it dry's and cures it becomes harder, and continues to become more substantial and solid as time goes buy.

...you could also use hemp to do cob construction instead of straw.

...an old cob building in Europe, maybe as old as 200 years or more.

Cob Cottage   geographorguk   358305

...a couple other examples of European cob buildings, maybe not so old.

Cob cottage

Cob house 6

...and a couple of construction pics.

Earth1

Tamping cob 500x375

...and being hand sculpted, every house can be as unique and whimsical as the individual builder, ...most cob structures are owner built and occupied, anyway, here are a couple examples of some more modern designs as well as a backyard cob oven, i'm planning one of these this summer but probably not so artfully done, lol.

Cobhouseshingles

Vancouver Cob House

Myrtle at ccc

Monster 3

...anyway, hemp could easily be used with this construction method.

peace, bozo

neverbreak

neverbreak

^^ mwahaha those european cob buildings epitomize the term "quaint"! lol i like 'em :)

some of those house you posted pics of are very creative! would be a ton of effort to build them n still make them solid. makes me wanna get a pice of land n build my own crazy house. so many good eco options out there these days.

neverbreak

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

^^ mwahaha those european cob buildings epitomize the term "quaint"! lol i like 'em :)

some of those house you posted pics of are very creative! would be a ton of effort to build them n still make them solid. makes me wanna get a pice of land n build my own crazy house. so many good eco options out there these days.

neverbreak
shit man, if you did a search on YouTube you'd be shocked at how much information there is on this and you'd also be shocked to see how easy it is.

...and funny you should say that because i'm currently saving as many of my cookies as i can for the day when i can spend them on a piece of land somewhere in middle America where i can begin to establish an offgrid homestead.

...this country isn't the place i grew up in and i feel like it is 1984 for real so i want to get as far from IngSoc as i can, i kinda don't like Big Brother having his nose so far up my ass if you know what i mean.

anyway, i'm an old swamp yankee who was raised to take care of himself and by God that's what i want to do, ...i want to die on my own little piece of dirt, let me buried there where my tired old ass can go to feed the land so even in death i can be of some use, lol, worms gotta eat too you know.

peace, bozo

Top Bottom