The Impacts of Legal Marijuana In Colorado

• Thread starter Prime C
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
http://cannabispatientsalliance.org...-the-impacts-of-retail-marijuana-on-colorado/

Reality check: The impacts of retail marijuana on Colorado

Posted on January 23, 2014 by rxmaryjane
We’re just over 3 weeks into the experiment, and with all the media coverage and opinion pieces on retail marijuana in Colorado one thing is becoming blatantly clear: the real reason most prohibitionists think marijuana consumers should be sent to jail or forced into rehab is simply because they don’t like marijuana or the people who use marijuana. The thinking goes like this… “because I don’t like the pot and you smoke the pot, you should go to jail/rehab.” That’s all they’ve got left. Every other argument is falling by the wayside.

How do you continue to claim that pot makes you stupid when people like Carl Sagan and Bill Gates support marijuana? How do you continue to claim that pot makes you lazy when world-class athletes like Michael Phelps and Von Miller are known to have enjoyed a bong-hit or two? How do you continue to claim that 1 out of 6 teens who use marijuana will become addicted when thousands, if not millions, of nonaddicted adults who tried marijuana when they were teens are walking, not staggering, the streets everyday? How do you argue that marijuana makes you violent, irrational and insane when people have stood in line for hours patiently waiting to make their legal purchase in Colorado without incident?

I know, I know. It’s too soon to tell. They’re still waiting for the shoe to drop or the sky to fall or the tsunami to hit. They think we’re all on our best behavior and it’s only a matter of time before the real social consequences become evident.

Maybe they’re right. We’re not sure what the impacts on society might be. But here’s what we do know…

• Tourism has been impacted with bookings at ski resorts on a record-breaking pace.
  • Colorado’s unemployment rate is below the national average.
  • DUIs over New Year’s week, the same week that retail marijuana shops opened, were below last year.
  • Applications at the University of Colorado are up by 33%.
  • And Colorado has already received enough tax revenue from the sale of retail marijuana to more than pay for the Governor’s salary and his staff.
So yes, we’re just beginning to see the impact this new industry might have on our society.

Granted, marijuana isn’t for everybody. I can’t think of a single product that is. And there are some people who don’t like it. That’s fine. But just because it’s not for you, doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be for anyone else. And it certainly doesn’t mean that others should be penalized just because you don’t like it.

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
dont forget about seth rogan, that fuckers always stoned and always working :)

i like this one the best :
  • DUIs over New Year’s week, the same week that retail marijuana shops opened, were below last year.

People on weed are all chilled out and happy. Add some alcohol and you never know whats going to happen. :wacky:

Great story BM,im sure we will see more and more of them as the great lie unravels.

The biggest lie of all!!

squiggly

squiggly

I always just use myself as an example, frankly.

People who know me personally know I'm an early bird gets the worm type--and that I spend about 90% of each day (weekends included) doing some type of work. If I'm not dealing with studies, I'm working on my research goals, if I'm not working on those I'm working on my own personal at-home research. I've aced my way through most of my degree, spoken at national conferences, been published three times in prominent journals as a first author (most prominently the Journal of Organic Chemistry--by far the most prestigious publication in my field).

A new one-pot synthesis I discovered and detailed in one such publication actually went on to be scaled up and applied in industry. The result is a 50% reduction in the consumer price of a widely used (and necessary) drug.

I'd say I've contributed more tangible worth to the world than quite a few sober people my age--and I've done it all rip roaring stoned.

squiggly

squiggly

I just wanted to add, the only thing I hate about legalization is that I had designs on doing a Ph.D in Colorado long before it looked like recreational was coming--now I have about a 5% chance of being accepted due to the massive influx of applications.

Oh well, this has just caused me to rethink that and decide to just find employment when I finish my degree in May--in the long run some company will probably end up paying me to get the Ph.D which is better than me paying for it in the first place :)

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
I always just use myself as an example, frankly.

People who know me personally know I'm an early bird gets the worm type--and that I spend about 90% of each day (weekends included) doing some type of work. If I'm not dealing with studies, I'm working on my research goals, if I'm not working on those I'm working on my own personal at-home research. I've aced my way through most of my degree, spoken at national conferences, been published three times in prominent journals as a first author (most prominently the Journal of Organic Chemistry--by far the most prestigious publication in my field).

A new one-pot synthesis I discovered and detailed in one such publication actually went on to be scaled up and applied in industry. The result is a 50% reduction in the consumer price of a widely used (and necessary) drug.

I'd say I've contributed more tangible worth to the world than quite a few sober people my age--and I've done it all rip roaring stoned.
What Drug are you talking about ?

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
I just wanted to add, the only thing I hate about legalization is that I had designs on doing a Ph.D in Colorado long before it looked like recreational was coming--now I have about a 5% chance of being accepted due to the massive influx of applications.

Oh well, this has just caused me to rethink that and decide to just find employment when I finish my degree in May--in the long run some company will probably end up paying me to get the Ph.D which is better than me paying for it in the first place :)

Why, with so many published and great works already completed, do you feel you won't be accepted?
Just seems to me you'd be at the top of the short list- no?

squiggly

squiggly

Why, with so many published and great works already completed, do you feel you won't be accepted?
Just seems to me you'd be at the top of the short list- no?

I would say that'd be true after I get about 1-2 years of postgrad experience (and I'd probably be able to get in just about anywhere I wanted). Its impossible to read a graduate admissions board to be honest.

Some want people who can cut it in the lab--that would be me.

Other want bright shining young stars--that's not me, I'm a non-traditional student. The thing about being a non-traditional student is that many of us are a bit older and dedicate ourselves slightly more to studies while we're undertaking them. The result is that when compared to folks in my age group and similar circumstances--I'm not doing anything very special.

The reality is that it's competitive no matter where you want to go in this field--but with a 33% increase in applications it's going to be tough on anyone's aspirations.

For every awesome thing you do, there is always someone out there is doing even better than you. I've learned that as a concert violinist, as a bright student, and I'll soon learn it as a chemist. So even while I would hope my chances would be pretty high, I don't presuppose that they are. I will still apply, but truthfully while re-thinking this initially I settled on the idea that it's better to be paid to get a Ph.D than to pay for one if I can manage it--and I think I can after talking to some folks I know who are very experienced in the industry.

squiggly

squiggly

What Drug are you talking about ?
If I were to share that it would be pretty easy to identify me. It's common for undergraduate/graduate organic synthesis researchers to author or contribute to work which has effects like this on industry (again I've done nothing overly special)--so I'm comfortable sharing that much. Because of the nature of this site and the fact I'll be looking for a job soon (potentially even government work) I don't want to hazard the risk, even though it's admittedly pretty small. Healthy paranoia has kept me safe all this time, though.

The point I wanted to make was that you can smoke pot and be productive and be driven and passionate. It doesn't take those things from you, you can only take them from yourself. I am a walking example of that to my real life friends and associates, as I imagine many of you are.

B

Burned Haze

Just like any drug or action by the Masses: It's only the extreme of anything that present to everyone as the truth. You do not notice the people who are messing up or making the bad example just like reviews . That's why you gotta do real research on everything and not just assume the BS by others even if it's the highest % . Just like you do not feel the need to bitch about stuff when it's fine and dandy , only when it's not going your way.

Don Peppy

Don Peppy

Its a great start.. But the Feds have to be on board sooner rather than later.. Growers need bank loans.. a place to deposit and earn intrest on there investments.. and what about federal tax time.. Will the growers be able to make out a fed tax form, and take the tax deductions?.. Its going to be a slow road, but at least its being built..

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
If I were to share that it would be pretty easy to identify me. It's common for undergraduate/graduate organic synthesis researchers to author or contribute to work which has effects like this on industry (again I've done nothing overly special)--so I'm comfortable sharing that much. Because of the nature of this site and the fact I'll be looking for a job soon (potentially even government work) I don't want to hazard the risk, even though it's admittedly pretty small. Healthy paranoia has kept me safe all this time, though.

The point I wanted to make was that you can smoke pot and be productive and be driven and passionate. It doesn't take those things from you, you can only take them from yourself. I am a walking example of that to my real life friends and associates, as I imagine many of you are.

I could think of no one better than you to demolish Nancy Grace in a debate! You could get her and Ann Coulter and make a squiggly sandwich out of them real quick. Just a thought.

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Come on out to Colorful Colorado Squiggs- even if you have to pay for your phd. You'll never regret it.

All the rest of you- piss off, stay home, sorry but the roads out here only have room for one more person.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I wonder if liquor sales are down in CO. A few of the places I buy booze from told me sales is terrible.
That's AWESOME!!! They'll recover those numbers once they start sellin' the new Marijuana-boros.

No, better to be paranoid. We had someone come on here years back, I think he was at UCDavis, wanted to do cannabis research there. Well, he'd managed to get a grant and his study proposal accepted, and then the school found him here via a Google search and he was given a choice--stop posting and asking questions here, or lose your grant and study. Of course, this was years ago, but we're falling behind here in California, politically speaking.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Come on out to Colorful Colorado Squiggs- even if you have to pay for your phd. You'll never regret it.

All the rest of you- piss off, stay home, sorry but the roads out here only have room for one more person.

Ya know, traffic actually has SEEMED better since we went rec... Dunno if people are staying home on the couch or just driving with a little more tolerance and awareness, or maybe I'm just stoned...lol

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Ya know, traffic actually has SEEMED better since we went rec... Dunno if people are staying home on the couch or just driving with a little more tolerance and awareness, or maybe I'm just stoned...lol
I probably wouldn't know anyway- I do anything I can to stay off the roads anymore. Open highway is fine but towns and congested highways are for the birds. Thank our stars that all of pretty Colorado is open highway...

Latest posts

Top Bottom