• Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
i see lots of people with big massive colas dripping with resin. But no one ever showing off the insides of those giant colas.
When chopping these colas I always notice the inside buds get smashed up and hard. One side of the bud is gleaming with resin but the inside is smashed, dull, bunched red hairs together that form a hard ball.
Because of this I chop up all large colas into small pieces and dry on a net. If I don't do this the large colas will mold and rot during the drying period.
Any thoughts on how to prevent this? Or is it just a coco hydro thing?

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter

Here's an example on a dried nug. I take so pics of colas tonight when I'm trimming. Sorry for the ad quality pics

Calixylon

Calixylon

I think if you keep it a perfect drying temp you can dry those big colas whole, probly not if its a 3 oz donkey d, but ive seen plenty of oz colas on the stick. It just takes a longer time to dry like that, most people wanna chop it up so they can get it dried, packaged, smoked and or sold.

But the buds will always looks like that when you split up a cola, i think its just the way the plant forms

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Its not resin its plant sugars which is why it gets hard and stuck together.

ghettogrower

ghettogrower

Hmmm looks like a wee bit of mold there not good man....I dry mine as whole as a plant as I can in my tent with extractor on 24/7 and a small osculating fan to keep a nice air flow but not directed at the buds I've never had a problem drying my biggest colas hope this helps ...

Ghett

Calixylon

Calixylon

just looks like the inside of cola when broken up to me, im not seeing any mold of resin of plant sugars, just a different consistensy of bud growth, inside vs outside. Marijuana dosent have a skin like an apple or a orange, so it has resin and stank to protect itself from anything trying to eat it. Thats why theres more resin on the outside, and a buildup mess of pistils calyx and whatnot on the other side. Maybe im not getting what your saying, but it sounds like its just a broken up bud?

ghettogrower

ghettogrower

Theres a bit on the bottom of the nug that's more of a browny colour the pic isn't very clear but from what I can see it looks suspect to me.....when I crack my buds they're just as frosty and green in the middle

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
just looks like the inside of cola when broken up to me, im not seeing any mold of resin of plant sugars, just a different consistensy of bud growth, inside vs outside. Marijuana dosent have a skin like an apple or a orange, so it has resin and stank to protect itself from anything trying to eat it. Thats why theres more resin on the outside, and a buildup mess of pistils calyx and whatnot on the other side. Maybe im not getting what your saying, but it sounds like its just a broken up bud?
Yes that's what I'm talking about the buildup mess of pistils and calx. It's abnormal compared to the rest of the plant.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Theres a bit on the bottom of the nug that's more of a browny colour the pic isn't very clear but from what I can see it looks suspect to me.....when I crack my buds they're just as frosty and green in the middle
I have seen the same but usually it's less of a problem on a soil plant. Do you grow soil or coco/hydro?
That bud didn't have any mold I inspected it with a scope. Just smashed pistils and calx. But I garentee if I didn't cut it up to dry it would mold.
Stupid ass phone died mid message then took for ever to restart I fucking hate that.
I have seen big ass hydro buds gleaming all the way to the stalk before as you describe but very uncommon now adays.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Ok here we go... I call this clusterfuck syndrome from here forward.:) And it goes like

And here is a semi clusterfuck with a dead leaf making it mold o_O

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
I at least pull them apart .. So it's a whole bunch of balls sticking off a stem.. Helps minimize bud rot.. Big colas may look cool for a minute, but no bud looks cool in the trash. Lol
Yes I have done that before but fuck you have to do it everyday or it's pointless. then you risk cross contamination if your not sterilizing between plants:)
I read an article about cutting certain pieces of the cola out during peak ripening will let the air flow thought putting less pressure on the buds.

Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly

Man U keep coming up with some interesting shit . I've learnt plenty of your posts thanks .

ghettogrower

ghettogrower

Ahhh those pics are a lot clearer, hmmmm is it just happening to that particular strain? If so could just be a genetic thing?

Calixylon

Calixylon

Yea it looks sort of like a slightly high leaf to calyx ratio on that plant. I think some colas just grow "prettier" But almost every big outdoor cola ive smoked and pulled apart tends to look like that sometimes.

Try removing as much of the stem and any leaf stems, then see if they dry whole, tthos stems look large as well and cause most of the rot to start.

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

I had this issue as well due to being in hydro for me i had a few different issues hay flavor buds occasionally molds and the one I hated to most stems would break or Strings go down and my bud will dry on the floor for the nite oohhhh I hated that so one day I went into my hallway set me up a nice netting dry rack with a tiny fan and hepa filter just moving air is all then cut it down to size off the stem Entirely and do a full fan leaf pull a gentle sugar trim like three stokes of the scissor' not unlike you would do the fans on a clone only it's sugar leaf on nug throw in rack only open door once a day to toss the buds by patting the base of netting gently and get great results this way, I have heard alot of people say any form of wet trimming u lose some stank and this may be so in some cases but me personally get people who grow asking me how I get them to stink so good total dry time takes aprox 5 days throw into jars and I pop it open in less than a week and make people choke on the smell could the sealed closet be the key or why do i have good results this way and others are afraid to do it this way from claims like hay flavor wich I swear only happens to me if I don't pre trim like this no matter if I hang it small stalks full plant put in racks it don't matter it fails for me the opposite way this isn't really any help I guess but it could spark something for someone and if anyone can tell me why my results are so different from common beliefs techniques???

Here is how I trim them up rite after they have been chopped down just before the tiny sugar trim Just the tips
20150617 014227

Here is my dry area pretty simple just two racks in a closet with a small fan. On low

Here it is in the cure jar probably 4 weeks now

And finally the nug you see on top of that pile is rite here in my hand as smelly as I think it can be really I so wish we had smellavision if ur organ med PM me and I will gift you some stankin proof. Can i get a witness eha this plant is a gift eha a gift from above EHA lemme get a HALELOUJAH Brothas and Sistas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom