The Jimmy Hoffa Project Begins

• Thread starter ddandurand
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ddandurand

ddandurand

I've decided that I'm going to do a breeding run to not only learn some the ends and out of breeding but I've always also wanted to create my own strain from the ground up.

While in a perfect world I would be selecting a male and breeding with an already proven female, I do not have that option so I'm going to start 12 seeds and select the best candidates. Then pheno hunt those seeds for a great mother to then continue an inline breeding with.

I will be breeding my personal favorite 2 cultivars together or at least the 2 that my body enjoys and can tolerate the effects of.

A little back story of the strains I have on hand both are what you would call bag seeds. I've never went out an purchases seeds for my grows and I've told myself that I never would. The strains I will be using will be Ghost OG and Godfather OG. Both seeds coming from a good friend's gardens a few years apart.

The stories are the Ghost OG was accidentally pollinated his father's Ghost OG by mistake nearly a 300 yards apart.

The Godfather seeds a bit more unknown of how they came to be as I visited his outdoor last year and he sent me home with some cuts. Inside those cuts I found the few Godfather OG seeds that I will be using. So they could be crossed with anything.

I love reading old story's about how strains came to be and find it to be one of the most enjoyable parts of growing. Every seed to me is its own strain. I don't follow alot of the hype behind some of the best strains because I think alot of it is personal preference and driven by the greed of money instead of the love for the plant. That's why I'm not yo worried starting with unknown genetics. I've grown seeds from both these out and they have so much variety in them we never know what we will

This will be the beginning of what im loving calling Jimmy Hoffa.

Enjoy the ride.

The jimmy hoffa project begins 3

Germination begins I soaked the seeds for about 18 hours while I was sleeping and at work for the night.

The jimmy hoffa project begins 2

I'm going to use the paper towel method for this run. The seeds are currently in paper towels inside small siplocks in a dark closet.

The plan is to to start 6 seeds of each and work with what we have.

ddandurand

ddandurand

It looks like we have 100% Germination rate. I was worried about the Ghost OG as the seeds are over a year old. I like to do a little trick when I don't have a heating pad available. Is to put the seeds in a sock inside the baggies and put them on top of the light. The heat from the Ballest is usually enough to help them along.

20230121 071125

Some how I can't count and germinated 7 of the Ghost OG. I ended up just tossing It. As space is tight and I'll be at my plant limit anyways.

I choose to start these in small seed cells with a super soil mix call the greatful blend by a local company called American Bio Char. Amazing folks. Unfortunately I don't have anymore to finish this run so I'll be transplanting into ocean forest when the time comes.

The will be kept under 18/6 in a humidity dome until they pop there little heads out. Then the dome will be removed as long as I can keep the humidity in the 2x2 high enough as winter here in Michigan has had the humidity in the 40s in the grow room. They get to share the tent with a geranium until we need the space at which time the geranium will be evicted.

I'm going to try and have a picture or 2 for each update. No matter what good or bad I'll post the results.

20230121 073941
20230121 074001

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
It looks like we have 100% Germination rate. I was worried about the Ghost OG as the seeds are over a year old. I like to do a little trick when I don't have a heating pad available. Is to put the seeds in a sock inside the baggies and put them on top of the light. The heat from the Ballest is usually enough to help them along.

View attachment 1322026

Some how I can't count and germinated 7 of the Ghost OG. I ended up just tossing It. As space is tight and I'll be at my plant limit anyways.

I choose to start these in small seed cells with a super soil mix call the greatful blend by a local company called American Bio Char. Amazing folks. Unfortunately I don't have anymore to finish this run so I'll be transplanting into ocean forest when the time comes.

The will be kept under 18/6 in a humidity dome until they pop there little heads out. Then the dome will be removed as long as I can keep the humidity in the 2x2 high enough as winter here in Michigan has had the humidity in the 40s in the grow room. They get to share the tent with a geranium until we need the space at which time the geranium will be evicted.

I'm going to try and have a picture or 2 for each update. No matter what good or bad I'll post the results.

View attachment 1322028View attachment 1322029
Hey, welcome to the Farm, I like the plan but I don't get the pheno hunt....The way I understand a pheno hunt is to grow out say 5 -10 -20 seeds from the same source grow them until you can take cuttings off each of them then label each one to its mother....Keep them all in veg Then grow out all origional mothers and pick the one you want to be the Pheno of choice.

Scrap all the others cuttings / clones and grow out your mom's you want to use. Then select a male to breed with.....That's a lot of work, time and space to do........

ddandurand

ddandurand

Hey, welcome to the Farm, I like the plan but I don't get the pheno hunt....The way I understand a pheno hunt is to grow out say 5 -10 -20 seeds from the same source grow them until you can take cuttings off each of them then label each one to its mother....Keep them all in veg Then grow out all origional mothers and pick the one you want to be the Pheno of choice.

Scrap all the others cuttings / clones and grow out your mom's you want to use. Then select a male to breed with.....That's a lot of work, time and space to do........
It's more of a passion project as I enjoy the smoke the Godfather and ghost produce as very few strains give me anxiety. I plan on using this run to get more seeds to hunt. The next run after this will be just seeds that this run produces to see what we have. Yes alot of time a space but I'm in it for the enjoyment. If I don't start now.

ddandurand

ddandurand

Just a day 7 update. all but 1 seed of Godfather OG came up.

My question for everyone is when should I get them out of these little seed trays and into larger pots. I don't usually start seed in them. Im usually a solo cup kind of guy.

yhAL8R1eCdYNzJ7oVthAfr55DDia7ljZaxXaC0s3dYMYx1I2wuCgeUhWa5vM-eVEfMPlq2UnOf5wPQHGZ0KrSEXf2T2b0Ld42SwB8yaNL3Aq-P_uKBebhk0ajBeued0ujMeCEFqbgT1r2Sc_vIL3-Tc-JOS4Hs4Ixoal8HfxXIZiVOAtQ-q8RE_67GN-RBXddSCKns2Tf5jTRSFUl0puVItGyzGB0iF5HtoGk7pQ2SvvP9bnEWsDgt1KgFzT7a9zfnwiO2rRxP37n3o9QG3FeImopAbQ-67WDzaIADEHOFulnoSmDS5jFLA-oa8YNzyJymx3wN96A97vC5SQXsgrBh3CZwpzX3DMd9Xx_bMjegtzjT3_yh1Lc5kjUx9cKRcM7N_pk_pE5l5IGKNI_omq0ZLTknaRSfECOECsjNOwtmYtQz76VPruVc-Zeh9qAQIAOfhsiZcrVK2arO0cPesJ1X8TMfYVmIfuHvxo9hC9GPr21HGApEa87GiUkqniqVTrEWWFrH9VOvU6FgHNuupV31e3jimspuW26oeC6l29_5JXKBZUVAQdgxvm7z3GxtAHDeNogrAab60lTocgBEdYUznVM_haGDexjbzB0oZWalSAnraZm2yBp687y5fVxJ9kU8rayJOQrScxIukjNEH8q2hpkK4QkwvP_wC-ld6vLMzCcijA9VJwQDReP-HNwCyvJgvEGtv77xLpnDjRgcg1aDibi_0g_TmJHDVYwVRvGoLdxXtYYIHceJ9GrfMeHehheQEfqiL0TUqG3_kg7NsjeIhfMyY17ClEmDO9Y6ncTHYGD59ap7C_4VdaQq0M0N_tywquSnbUPPcMw3il7iKNLhmjsx1v7F3oDPCoxMHjYjH6SY5KI07Q4Kmhp2UUpFwAFbL1vesSSgVqTZyWVMXg5zRHOxRb1f_dJcOFUIk9aYEq=w462-h615-no

Top Bottom