The joys of silly reverse osmosis tricks.

• Thread starter airedog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
airedog

airedog

Supporter
I'm running an UnderCurrent UC4XXL13 system that has a total working volume of about 50 gallons, with a top-up res that has a total working volume of about 15 gallons. I have a HydroLogic Stealth 300 RO unit connected to 2 * 44 gallon Rubbermaid Brute garbage cans, for storage res. I have HydroLogic float valves on both cans that are less than 2 months old; one is functioning perfectly while the other one consistently goes over it's setting. This morning it hadn't shut off until water was leaking out the air line access. Probably going to try a large dehumidifier style float valve. If anyone has had a similar issue i'd appreciate hearing how you fixed the problem.

As an aside, my top-up sits on a double level of milk crates in order to operate as a gravity fed system, that puts it slightly higher than my storage res. After shutting off my pump for topping off the top-up i filled a syringe with SensiCal turned around and found that about 3 gallons had siphoned back in the minute or so it took to dose with the calmag. Wouldn't have noticed except i'd already put the Mondi pump back in the 5 gallon bucket it lives in when not being used.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

A pic would be great. I think I understand tho.

I messed around with my RO (I have 3 systems) for a while before I got them perfect. Here is what I did:

That goes on the RO. When back pressure is felt on the outgoing line, it shuts off the input so you don't waste water.

That goes inside the RO Res.

Functions like this - water is removed from the RO res, the float drops, allowing water to flow in from the RO system. That in turn opens the 4 way valve on the RO, turning the RO production back on. As soon as the RO water catches up in the RO Res, the system shuts back down again.

I can send a pic tonight if I'm not being clear. But for $20 your RO problems are over.
https://www.amazon.com/APEC-Water-S...ild=1&keywords=ro+valve&qid=1619465412&sr=8-2
https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-P...ywords=float+valve&qid=1619465476&sr=8-8&th=1

airedog

airedog

Supporter
The backpressure unit, or one with a similar design, is part of the Stealth RO. It's a float valve like you're showing me that's failing; i've given the float itself a more acute downward angle and it seems fine. But that's the problem, they always seem fine until they overshoot by a few inches.

Here's the workings of the Stealth RO; note part # ASO 23155;

Here's the res Brutes;

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

The valves I linked have been in service now for years and I have never had an issue. They are really simple, just a little pad of silicone that seals off the hole with lift provided by the float.

Yours is more complicated than mine with 2 floats and bubbling. Is it possible the bubbles are causing the float to not have proper buoyancy?

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Anything is possible, it's heavy aeration, 20lpm each. It's an intermittent problem but today it came up high enough to leak out one of the airline access holes.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Bubbling from methane in the ocean has sunk entire ships - like lots of them. Air in the water removes density.

My money is on the bubbles causing it. Move the air stone or put some sort of bubble shield in place would be my next move.

Anthem

Anthem

Airedog,
Take a look at installing a vacuum break (one way value) between the storage rez and the rez. GreenTree Hydroponics has some of them for the Ebb and Flow Set up and I think they are like 2 dollars. You just have to make sure and install them correctly. Also I would make take a look at a different type of shut off value. I am not crazy about the ones you are showing. It is basically the same thing I have on my humidifier and it works great for gravity feed, I am thinking maybe the pressure from the city water is higher and causing a problem. They also have a different type of flow switch that might be a better set up. Take a look at the upper flow switch limiter for the multi flow and I am thinking you could take one of the 50 dollar units and cut it in half and use it for both of your tanks or maybe it would be easier to plumb the two tanks together and just run it in one of the trash cans and use both limit switches on the one trash can and you could wiring in the second cut off switch as a safety.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
I'll try to rig a shield as the 10" diffusers shift around a bit.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Res transfer is by Mondi pump and hose, storage has no line plumbed to epicenter or top-up. Pressure to RO is 60 psi and output, if running perfectly, is 150 gpd (1:1), so just a trickle into Brutes that take better than 12 hours to refill on change-out day.

Anthem

Anthem

Res transfer is by Mondi pump and hose, storage has no line plumbed to epicenter or top-up. Pressure to RO is 60 psi and output, if running perfectly, is 150 gpd (1:1), so just a trickle into Brutes that take better than 12 hours to refill on change-out day.
You found a 1 to 1 RO system?
I thought the best on the market were 2 to 1 units

Top Bottom