The mysterious black "Woody Rocks"

• Thread starter Gkiz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gkiz

Hello to everyone,

The purpose of this topic is too understand the what,how and why of the mysterious small black balls I've found on my buds. I will try to be as informative I can.

First of all let me show you what I call "Woody Rocks" and then I will write what I've observed. Hope we find answers!

279609224_337063881748677_8718932531240539248_n.jpg

279456765_581191149726927_7877284840891542309_n.jpg

279642906_350551463806955_4747414373640294403_n.jpg

279751110_390111742996443_6926921223773836735_n.jpg

279466499_777646789827149_6589624946744924185_n.jpg

This is the first time I've seen that and the only thing I've found were some unanswered old topics on forums.

It's the second time I am growing this strain and the previous one had also some weird things that I'll explain later.

So I topped my autoflower and one of the two canopies got infected with mold and the woody rocks. Only the infected part got yellow and dry with everything else looking normal.

Observations :
⦿Buds are dry but not crispy. It actually breaks on grinder like a fine dried cannabis
⦿Woody Rocks grow on top of the mold
⦿Woody Rocks are attached on the stem
⦿They are sturdy and if you cut them with scissors the inside looks like wood
⦿They are moist and you can't light them up
⦿Burning it smells just like something lightly burned, nothing extraordinary
⦿Their shape ranged from smaller to bigger ones and it's shape doesn't resemble a seed or caterpillar frass (poop)

My previous grow was with the same strain and had some similarities but some main differences.
It had mold too but the whole plant was infected. It didn't dry on specific parts and when I dried it the final product was crispy and powdery.
What different happened in the first grow and unfortunately I don't have any photos was that inside the Calyx of buds there were some tiny (like grain of sand) brown balls.
I've read about ovules in cannabis and the speculation that these are unfertilised seeds but I still don't know for sure.

As for the growing conditions of the two plants. They were both grown in DWC and both were very close to my spiderfarmer sf1000 led panel. Both strains suffered from light burn. Both plants were stressed and the second one even more by topping it. All my previous grows in the same tent didn't show any problems from air circulation.

That's it guys I hope we find some solution to this. I would also like to add that I am working on a Mushroom Facility so I carry a lot of spores everyday to my house. Maybe it's happening something weird from some fungus or it's a genetic problem. What's your opinion?

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Thats a pretty bad case of what I assume is Botrytis.

Are these perhaps seeds that were taken over by fungus and used for food?

G

Gkiz

@Moe.Red haha we finally see the cannabis entity that visits growers in times of rotting danger!! I still didn't find anything about Botrytis creating woody rocks and also my plant is not a hermie and hasn't any seeds anywhere else.

@mysticepipedon I don't see any bitten leaves and also searched for caterpillars. Fun fact : I looked at their shit and they are different. I also think that if they were actually poop they would be a little squeezy

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I also think that if they were actually poop they would be a little squeezy
That could be a tee shirt.

I have never seen anything like this before. Got a microscope?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

@Aqua Man got any ideas? @1diesel1? Is this some weird mushroom growth he brought home from work?

steamroller

steamroller

Looks like mold and caterpillar shit.
The way the shit is imbedded in the plant the cats may be gone .

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

In outdoor grows where I had caterpillars eating buds, the buds were often attacked by fungus right after being damaged. That's why caterpillar shit came to mind.

OK, I confess. My mind is always thinking about caterpillar shit. I smoke pot to try make the brain cells holding onto those thoughts let go of the shit.

G

Gkiz

Okay guys with so much on caterpillar shit Imma start my adventure and try to find if she is still there. Also read about hemp borer that sneaks inside but don't know if it shits outside 😂 Any thoughts?

As of mold and damage it's hard for me to say that I prevented it from spreading and I may mistake trichomes for mold and vice versa.
What would you do? wait 3-5 weeks till harvest or start over clean?

Last edited:
Top Bottom