The Pheno Hunt

• Thread starter Medusa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
I am aware that taste, smell etc plays a major roll in the pheno hunt ! Was wanting input and nug thoughts on this as to what some on the farm's thoughts are. Hope I am not repeating a post already up if so perhaps it can be added too.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
maybe some one can post a pheno/geno breakdown link....iv looked it over before, only once though

Phillthy

Phillthy

"In Cannabis, the haploid (in) number of chromosomes is 10 and the diploid (2n) number of chromosomes is 20. Each chromosome contains hundreds of genes, influencing every phase of the growth and development of the plant."

there are literally millions of possible genetic combinations. phenotype is the physical representation of the genetic makeup. so there are mad phenos to be found ;)

SmokeyPipes

SmokeyPipes

Those are just a few,taste,smell etc....!! Trichome production,flowering times,bud structure & density,Pest and Mold resistance are all factors plus many more not mentioned that breeders look for when "pheno hunting" That's what your asking right??

slausongardens

slausongardens

i just look for the overall best.. something special and the one thats just that much better. ive had times where id have a dank pheno with a monster yield but a way danker one with a small yield.. ive learned to just go with the dankest buds.. everything else like structure, yield, vigor, etc come second.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Those are just a few,taste,smell etc....!! Trichome production,flowering times,bud structure & density,Pest and Mold resistance are all factors plus many more not mentioned that breeders look for when "pheno hunting" That's what your asking right??
Yah I guess I am thinking this out to much Thanks

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
"In Cannabis, the haploid (in) number of chromosomes is 10 and the diploid (2n) number of chromosomes is 20. Each chromosome contains hundreds of genes, influencing every phase of the growth and development of the plant."

there are literally millions of possible genetic combinations. phenotype is the physical representation of the genetic makeup. so there are mad phenos to be found ;)
nice brother...i had the bible out and was gonna type that part out,,but i smoked one to many bowls. and out i went o_O

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
i just look for the overall best.. something special and the one thats just that much better. ive had times where id have a dank pheno with a monster yield but a way danker one with a small yield.. ive learned to just go with the dankest buds.. everything else like structure, yield, vigor, etc come second.
THanks Slaus and Tattoo ,do you think before picking out say 6 of the same variety that running one more time to really see the best plant after being cloned?

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
are you having trouble deciding which cut to keep?..you might have more than one keeper..it happens sometimes..run m again and try to see if you can see some thing you missed with the first run :D..it so hard just to axe a healthy plant ..male or female...cole or no cole :oops:

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
7 Eskimo Kush, 4 Aliengrapevines, got Rock candy, lemon Alien dog a bunch more Goldenlions coming up got my hands full deciding
yep you got your hands full..:D lots of dank in them beans..:D..take plenty of cuts and enjoy the ride..
this is how much my hands are full, round of cuts from the day before.. i didnt take a count, but there is at least fiddy cuts in that box soaking
DSC02761
DSC02762

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
Ya I got to really decide on the eskimo's prob 3-4 keepers and lots of cuts . Seems like when I ran for sexing the mature plants changed there buds?

J

John Ditchweed

If looking for a pheno you need to find what suits your needs. This is most important. Are you a commercial grower then yield is what you are looking for. Do you have a small grow space and need more to last between harvests? Then the same would apply. By the looks of it you have the space so quality taste and smell are likely what Id go for. Also things to look at are you just growing the plants naturally? Are you fimming, sog, scrogging? Different styles of growth depending on your growing needs are always something to look for. I Like bushy plants personally and let go the more single cola dom plants as they dont fill out my space the way Id like. So I guess what Im saying is find the ones that suit your needs and thats whats important

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
Ya I got to really decide on the eskimo's prob 3-4 keepers and lots of cuts . Seems like when I ran for sexing the mature plants changed there buds?
some times plants will express there selves a lil different in cuts..im not sure why..a slight variation in the enviroment

slausongardens

slausongardens

THanks Slaus and Tattoo ,do you think before picking out say 6 of the same variety that running one more time to really see the best plant after being cloned?

i always run em again cuz i have the cuts and the space and sometimes not all of them were perfectly healthy so i wanna dont wanna axe one cuz i neglected it and didnt see its full potential.

but if u dont have the space to run em again and gotta find one its not really a must, the one you want to keep should be a strong plant anyway.. youre gonna have a hell of a time looking for a keeper in those strains you listed cuz you could have a couple that are damn near the same, jut as bomb as the other, if thats the case go with the one with chunkier nugs..

but like i said, i always run em a second time cuz i got the cuts and by the time i got em all cut down and smoked those cuts are already big and almost ready for flower so no point in tossing them.. but then that second round i only take cuts of the ones i liked.. if that makes sense. pheno hunting isnt easy as it seems cuz you gotta take a bunch of cuts and be patient and have space and all that stuff.

breeding is even more of a pain in the arse keeping fuckin males around and selecting keeper males and taking clones and shit. and doing selections of big seed runs.. what a pain. and then theres no money in it uness youre already an established breeder.. but thats a different topic..

good luck bro.

Top Bottom