Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Staying the Same

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
ccWTF

ccWTF

Interesting topic.
Supply and demand or a price war?
By lowering the price they're not going to increase demand significantly. Unless people start transporting it out.
Competition is usually healthy in industry, sometimes a price regulation is needed.

ccWTF

ccWTF

^^^
Yup
If the industry doesnt regulate itself the government will.

420circuit

420circuit

Hahaha, no, not a dog in the fight, just a grower who is paying attention. At some point it won't make sense for me to grow my own, that would be when the price to buy it gets below what it costs for me to grow it. That's a long way off because I need to grow quite a bit to make cannabis oil and I do pay attention to quality. I admit to getting riled up by arrogant posters who assume that there is no quality bud except for their own, most of these kids have never been to a dispensary and have never seen a true professional grow op. It is not hard to find extremely good buds in CO. I have toured a few commercial operations and am impressed by the level of professionalism that these guys put into their crops. I have not seen any crappy buds in CO except for (probably imported) black market swag (which I would never even think of smoking) and pictures from elsewhere. The imports should be stopping now that everyone and their uncle is growing.:D

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

The price has to drop and will continue to do so for quite sometime until it is cheaper to buy than grow, like many veggies. I foresee 2 dollar grams in 5 yrs.

420circuit

420circuit

When I calculate the cost to grow an ounce it is not simple because of the equipment costs. If I spread out the cost of the tent, lights, pumps and fans, pH pen, pots and such, over 3 years, and then add in the ongoing costs of electricity, nutes, seeds, additives and all the things necessary to keep the plants going, the total is around $50 per ounce of dried buds. Power is the single largest expense and even a couple lights shows up on the monthly bill. A commercial op can gain an economy of scale that a home grower cannot hope to match, but quality and specialities are where the home grower can beat the commercial guys, growing strains that are impractical for shops, like long flowering sativas, and letting them finish. There is regular "good quality" and then there is exceptional. There is a movement toward growing exceptional organic flowers, I have met some fans of this trend and sampled some amazing flowers that will never see a dispensary shelf. It would be impractical for a shop to grow this quality because it would not be profitable due to the price pressure.

ccWTF

ccWTF

Today its $70 an eighth in NYC and this pic shows how much you can carry and not get arrested. LOL
01414 dzAdrbuNwV4 600x450

I guess if Colorado floods the market they will have to legalize it

420circuit

420circuit

If Colorado buds could be legally sold in NYC, the price would drop and people would be shocked at how "powerful" this "new pot" is. What CO did was amend the state constitution to regulate cannabis like alcohol. It is working very well overall. By having our right to posess and grow cannabis written into the constitution we are protected from overzealous politicians who feel the need to control people.

B

boston

I have been to many rec stores and have never not one time seen anything i would call mid shelf let alone top shelf

However i have gotten strait fire off craiglist and from concert goers
and have in my last couple trips made good contacts so i will never walk in another dispo

Mahmatha shatter gets 2 thumbs up from me aswell

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

I've gotta echo Boston. Been in a handful of shops, med mostly, some rec... The weed is awful. Of course there are exceptions, 14er and Treehouse(when our boys where running it). But for the most part it's awful that's why it's so cheap. But it drives down the price of good Black market herb too. Which is good and bad. But I see it going lower, a lot lower. In price and quality.

Shamus

Shamus

If Colorado buds could be legally sold in NYC, the price would drop and people would be shocked at how "powerful" this "new pot" is. What CO did was amend the state constitution to regulate cannabis like alcohol. It is working very well overall. By having our right to posess and grow cannabis written into the constitution we are protected from overzealous politicians who feel the need to control people.
HahahahahajahajajahajajajJjahhahahahahahah
Hahaha, no, not a dog in the fight, just a grower who is paying attention. At some point it won't make sense for me to grow my own, that would be when the price to buy it gets below what it costs for me to grow it. That's a long way off because I need to grow quite a bit to make cannabis oil and I do pay attention to quality. I admit to getting riled up by arrogant posters who assume that there is no quality bud except for their own, most of these kids have never been to a dispensary and have never seen a true professional grow op. It is not hard to find extremely good buds in CO. I have toured a few commercial operations and am impressed by the level of professionalism that these guys put into their crops. I have not seen any crappy buds in CO except for (probably imported) black market swag (which I would never even think of smoking) and pictures from elsewhere. The imports should be stopping now that everyone and their uncle is growing.:D
Please post up something that isn't dirt weed that's been tumbled to shit.
If you grow your own why the hell are you buying mediocre at best weed from rec shops? Do you know quality? Ooooo you've toured grow facilities.. I forgot.
Ha
Ha
Ha
Ha

Last edited:
420circuit

420circuit

I have been to those shops in Boulder and COS, pure fire, no complaints, also went to Kind Bud across from Freakies and recently got shatter from Lotus in Denver, and while there checked out the Coco Thai, very well grown, also hit Karmaceuticals and had a good experience with several strains. Sure, there will be low grade grown, but there will be new and improved fire too, a lot of it. Little early to call the bottom, but I am guessing $50 ounces of decent grade will be common this summer. Basing my guess on the amount that will be grown and the inability to legally export it, so saturated marketplace.

But if it becomes possible to export to other states, even one, then the price could hover around $100 as the demand side would increase again. Open it up nationally or globally and I think the price would drop to $10-20 an ounce because millions of people would be growing. Hope to see that day.:D:):D

420circuit

420circuit

Not going to argue there Shamus, "you can trust me, I'm a doctor.";)

Shamus

Shamus

Open it up nationally or globally and I think the price would drop to $10-20 an ounce because millions of people would be growing. Hope to see that day.:D:):D

Dude you are the Budweiser drinking, McDonald's eating, laminate floor installing, ikea using, Kmart shopper that represents everything I hope to not have in cannabis consumers.

You want this cottage industry to fail? Do you know how many good small scale farmers are trying to do this for a living? And produce better bud then you have seen or smoked it seems?

You post a beat up pic of Maui waui like that is the end all be all to this "cheap quality" argument.

Ugh. I'm done with you.

I hope your kind are few and far between
Your kind can enjoy your "dollar tree" weed :cool:

stutter

stutter

im from australia so yes i have never been into a dispensary and im not here to argue whos pot is better.
the bottom line is it has become an industry and like any other industry profit counts.

so how do you turn a profit? you sell buds right. ok so what are the 2 main factors that consumers will be looking for quality/price.

so it goes to say that you will start growing the best bud you can and offering as good a price as you can.
now the dispensary down the road is growing the same strain as you same quality and your in direct competition. he decides he wants the edge over you and cuts his price. all the consumers move to his shop so you drop your price to match. pretty soon the profit margins become minimal and the stores start looking at other ways to increase profit.

store A decides he can still sell the same bud of the same original quality but he can tumble it and collect the kief to sell and increase his profit margin for that bud and the average joe wont know any better.

store B decides he can still match the price with untumbled buds but they can no longer grow organically in soil and switch to synthetic hydroponics

so on and so forth, each company keeps making these sacrifices keeps chipping away at the quality to keep the prices low and keep competitive, how long until these stores are growing High Yielding low quality buds, how long until your just buying bags of prerolled or ready to roll crap worse than what the mexicans were bringing in. and you know what, people will still buy it because its cheap and there too lazy to grow there own just like the tobacco industry. thats where i see it heading eventually.

On the plus side just like every other industry there will be niche growers, artisans etc growing top grade unmolested herbs and selling it at premium prices. but life will become harder for those guys unless they really are at the top of there game.

then of course there will be people like me, sitting at home smoking a stash of premium quality herbs properly cured and stored and simply not giving a fuck who's selling what because it simply doesnt matter

stutter

stutter

I have been to those shops in Boulder and COS, pure fire, no complaints, also went to Kind Bud across from Freakies and recently got shatter from Lotus in Denver, and while there checked out the Coco Thai, very well grown, also hit Karmaceuticals and had a good experience with several strains. Sure, there will be low grade grown, but there will be new and improved fire too, a lot of it. Little early to call the bottom, but I am guessing $50 ounces of decent grade will be common this summer. Basing my guess on the amount that will be grown and the inability to legally export it, so saturated marketplace.

But if it becomes possible to export to other states, even one, then the price could hover around $100 as the demand side would increase again. Open it up nationally or globally and I think the price would drop to $10-20 an ounce because millions of people would be growing. Hope to see that day.:D:):D

trust me at $10-20 dollars an ounce nobody will be growing, nobody could afford to except for big business and you know what you will get from them

420circuit

420circuit

Yeah, as more people grow there is more bud around and everyone feels like a master gardener after growing their first plant, so 'experts' are crawling out of the woodwork. With all of this "expertise" running around the tide should go up, there should be an overall increase in quality, but like with anything else there will be good and bad. Long as market forces run unmolested the good bud should outsell the bad, so the long term outlook is good for quality but the price should come down, not so good for sellers. Best thing that could happen is for demand to pick up, which will happen as more people make and use RSO, edible oil. There is a limited market for dabbing oil, it looks like smoking crack to most people so a limited market, but if some of the medical claims about the edible oil get verified and the oil becomes more popular, consumption will go up and as that demand increases, so will the price. But at the moment it looks like we are in for a summer of lower prices due to excess supply, of both high and low grade.

420circuit

420circuit

Because there is an abundance of craft beer in Colorado, I haven't cracked open a Bud or Coors in several years, but I regularly enjoy quality brews. Weed will probably go a similar path with the cheap stuff filling most bowls and the good stuff selling for a premium price, but still finding a market. The important thing that I am trying to point out is that with all of this additional bud around, the price has to go down simply as a result of normal market forces. Where it remains illegal, the price will naturally be higher because of tightened supply. What I am bringing to the table is evidence that the price decline has started in CO.:D

Top Bottom