The Ranch

• Thread starter RanchoDeluxe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JMcG

JMcG

Hey RD
I made it up to Planet Natural yesterday. Cool store... blows mine away!
It looks like I will be sourcing most of what I need from them. I forgot to look for the Concentrates NW products till I got home though, sometimes I'm an idiot. I searched them on PN website though and nothing came up. I looked at CNW website though, damn, they have a ton of great products.
I saw some products by Pro Pell It on the CNW site that PN did carry. Have you used PPI at all? I looked at their " Shellfish Fertilizer ", seems decent to me.

Edit: I searched " concentrates " on PN website and that worked. Looks like they carry their 55lb karanja cake (86$) and neem cake 44 lb (50$). I have both of those in the cart.
Not sure which way to go for my ewc though. PN carries Wiggle worm and Roots Big Worm... any advice there?
Thanks dude!

R

RanchoDeluxe

Hey RD
I made it up to Planet Natural yesterday. Cool store... blows mine away!
It looks like I will be sourcing most of what I need from them. I forgot to look for the Concentrates NW products till I got home though, sometimes I'm an idiot. I searched them on PN website though and nothing came up. I looked at CNW website though, damn, they have a ton of great products.
I saw some products by Pro Pell It on the CNW site that PN did carry. Have you used PPI at all? I looked at their " Shellfish Fertilizer ", seems decent to me.

Edit: I searched " concentrates " on PN website and that worked. Looks like they carry their 55lb karanja cake (86$) and neem cake 44 lb (50$). I have both of those in the cart.
Not sure which way to go for my ewc though. PN carries Wiggle worm and Roots Big Worm... any advice there?
Thanks dude!
Most of the 50lb sacks are outside under the awning. Wiggle worm and Roots are made with cheap vermicompost from the Canadian paper industry. There's an old man in Livingston that sells vermicompost. It's occasionally at PN. He had an article written about him in the Chronicle. PN may even give you his number if you ask the right person. Since you can use Oly and/or Bu's, skipping out on vermicompost is okay in my opinion. Just add a half pound of worms or so after the bed cools down.
RD

R

RanchoDeluxe

Lemon Wookie
IMG 20171102 035335108

R

RanchoDeluxe

Trust me bro, I'd hate to go back and forth... but I'll lay it out and no more from me about this.

Intake? Use Filter!

Don't go from outside to inside in the same clothes!

Don't invite other growers over!

I used to build clean rooms for Intel...I know how minimal thru maximum shit works!

Go happy
Hey man, feel free to post some pics of your grow and give us a tutorial on how to prevent any pests, molds, etc. from ever entering our grows.

Myself and many others would pay alot of money to achieve this. Thanks.
RD

JMcG

JMcG

IMG 0125
Most of the 50lb sacks are outside under the awning. Wiggle worm and Roots are made with cheap vermicompost from the Canadian paper industry. There's an old man in Livingston that sells vermicompost. It's occasionally at PN. He had an article written about him in the Chronicle. PN may even give you his number if you ask the right person. Since you can use Oly and/or Bu's, skipping out on vermicompost is okay in my opinion. Just add a half pound of worms or so after the bed cools down.
RD

Great! Thanks for the info on the guy in Livingston.
What crustacean meal do you or don't you like? I saw this ...

Freshone

Freshone

Trust me bro, I'd hate to go back and forth... but I'll lay it out and no more from me about this.

Intake? Use Filter!

Don't go from outside to inside in the same clothes!

Don't invite other growers over!

I used to build clean rooms for Intel...I know how minimal thru maximum shit works!

Go happy
Explain to me how you go in and out of a room with a filter?Do you have some kind of an airlock you go in that sucks out all the air and replaces it with filtered air before you enter your room?Do you actually get undressed and then redressed before you enter your room?Do you shower first in a hermetically sealed room first?
What your suggesting leads a lot of us to believe you have very little actual experience yet you are quick to let us all know were doing it wrong.
Rancho has a nice little thread going here,hes logging what he does with pics and his experience doing it which he doesn't have to do so if you think you can do it better by all means show us your clean room and grow in your own growlog,ill be first in line to read it.

R

RanchoDeluxe

Explain to me how you go in and out of a room with a filter?Do you have some kind of an airlock you go in that sucks out all the air and replaces it with filtered air before you enter your room?Do you actually get undressed and then redressed before you enter your room?Do you shower first in a hermetically sealed room first?
What your suggesting leads a lot of us to believe you have very little actual experience yet you are quick to let us all know were doing it wrong.
Rancho has a nice little thread going here,hes logging what he does with pics and his experience doing it which he doesn't have to do so if you think you can do it better by all means show us your clean room and grow in your own growlog,ill be first in line to read it.
Hey man is your avatar from New Zealand? What kind of tree is that?

R

RanchoDeluxe

So as you guys can see I have some premature yellowing going on. It began a lil bit when I was busy taking down and trimming the other room. I ended up noticing it kinda late, been trying to play catch up since.
Veg plants are all transplanted into the big beds in the room that was chopped. A couple are being a lil pissy and in my efforts to hit them with a barley SST, I overwatered and lost a plant to pythium. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow and show you guys what it looks like. It's certainly one way to know you're watering too much!
RD

GreenHawk

GreenHawk

Before I go on about my soil mix, I want to throw this out there. I simply call things the way I see them. I don't put a cherry on top of everything. I don't Photoshop my pics. I'm not trying to sell you anything. I don't bow down to group think. My first no tills were in 20g fabric pots and I hated it.

Now that I got that out of the way....

Rancho why do you run 50/25/25 with your soil mix when everyone does 1/3's?
For two reasons. First, it gives my mix more "meat" for the worms. I use the soil I dug out from the last transplant and add perlite to it for veg. I also like to get a 1/2"-1 layer almost as a mulch after the 5 or 6th run to keep the top layer well aerated. May use pumice for this now that it's available locally.

I mixed up 40 yards of soil by hand. That's 8,000 gallons. It took over 100 hours. I need this soil to last. It doesn't get fixed with a 12-pack of beer and a phone call to Bubba. By last I'm talking 10 years...at least that's my goal.

If you are making 100, 500, or even 1,000 gallons of soil the game is different. Your soil can be replaced easily. Cost shouldn't be an issue for a setup this size. The easiest path to success is to use a 50/50 mix of compost/vermicompost like Organiks.... quality compost like I've already mentioned.
RD
How long does a 1/3's mix last compared to your 50/25/25 and a 50/50 before you have to replace your soil?
Have you done a cost/gram analysis on your methods by chance?

R

RanchoDeluxe

How long does a 1/3's mix last compared to your 50/25/25 and a 50/50 before you have to replace your soil?
Have you done a cost/gram analysis on your methods by chance?

I think either recipe will last a very long time as long as the bed is properly maintained with compost/mulch/topdressings. I would say 4 years minimum if done right.

Quite a few variables for a cost/gram analysis for me. Are you talking the entire setup? Or how much I spend each round now that it's running? Might be over my pay grade!
RD

R

RanchoDeluxe

Super stoked about the worms I just got from NW Redworms! Received 8lbs of red wigglers and 1lb euro/wiggler mix. I put a 1/2lb or so into each of my beds. The mix went into my old 150g no till. Kind of sad that I had to buy them since I literally had 100's of lbs of worms just a year or two ago. Here's a pic of a couple hugelkulture/windrows I was working on.
IMG 20170326 181559275

GreenHawk

GreenHawk

I think either recipe will last a very long time as long as the bed is properly maintained with compost/mulch/topdressings. I would say 4 years minimum if done right.

Quite a few variables for a cost/gram analysis for me. Are you talking the entire setup? Or how much I spend each round now that it's running? Might be over my pay grade!
RD

How much you spend each round. Lol no worries, I was just wondering. Trying to get a rough estimate on how much it will cost to get through one grow. I know that each situation has different variables. Lights, etc.
How many people does it take to run your size of operation? How many sqft of canopy are you running if you don't mind me asking?

Latest posts

Top Bottom