The Real Genetics Of Death Star

• Thread starter DrGanj
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DrGanj

DrGanj

Since its creation in 2001, Death Star has been known to be a cross between Paradise Seeds' Sensi Star and the clone-only East Coast Sour Diesel. When I met the breeders, I asked which was the mother/father and they told me that their Sour D hermed and pollinated their Ogre. If you look into this strain, most sources will say that it is a rare phenotype of Sensi Star before Paradise Seeds reworked the strain in '98. I have access to and have grown Ogre a handful of times and it smells almost identical to Death Star and bears no resemblance to any pheno of Sensi Star that I (or any one else for that matter) have come across. The diesel, skunk, funk aroma and hashy taste just scream Chem genetics. So after days of thread surfing I finally came across a much more settling answer. A forum member, drsunrays, came forth and claimed that he bred this strain in the '80s and that its genetics are Cali Hash Plant x UW Pre '98 Bubba Kush. After growing the Ogre, I feel that this description is much more genuine than calling it a Sensi Star pheno. In taste, appearance and potency, the Ogre definitely displays traits from both of these parents. So, for those following along:
Death Star = Sour D x (Cali Hash Plant x UW Bubba Kush)

Motarebel

Motarebel

Doubt it, sour d wasn't conceived until the early 90's. The Deathstar crew speak the truth so maybe your Ogre isn't real. It should have a lemony metallic smoke, if it's fuely then you have the Oger which is OG kush. Plus a lot of fake clones out there.

DrGanj

DrGanj

Very true words indeed @Motarebel. Much respect for you and all of your additions to the cannabis gene pool! I agree.. way too many fake/mislabeled cuts being passed around. I was born and raised near Columbus, OH before finding refuge in a medical state so I will always have a special place in my heart for Death Star. That being said, I also have a lot of respect for Team Death Star and all of their work. My cutting of Ogre can be sourced to The Greenest Green in Boulder, CO (now permanently closed). Whether or not they were selling legit Ogre clones is beyond me. Definitely could've been fakes or mislabeled. When compared to Death Star, it is next to impossible to tell the difference. Any one have experience with both the Ogre and Death Star? Does the real Ogre show this much resemblance to Death Star or are they much easier to tell apart?

DrGanj

DrGanj

Doubt it, sour d wasn't conceived until the early 90's. The Deathstar crew speak the truth so maybe your Ogre isn't real. It should have a lemony metallic smoke, if it's fuely then you have the Oger which is OG kush. Plus a lot of fake clones out there.

These are the only pics I could find of the Ogre cut that I've grown. This is like week 2 of flower. Chemdog #4 is in the back with the buds. Any incite? (I know its hard to tell from pix sometimes.)

taste is so similar to Death Star that I'm willing to believe that it was a mislabeled clone. definitely not an OG tho. tastes just like ds

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Very true words indeed @Motarebel. Much respect for you and all of your additions to the cannabis gene pool! I agree.. way too many fake/mislabeled cuts being passed around. I was born and raised near Columbus, OH before finding refuge in a medical state so I will always have a special place in my heart for Death Star. That being said, I also have a lot of respect for Team Death Star and all of their work. My cutting of Ogre can be sourced to The Greenest Green in Boulder, CO (now permanently closed). Whether or not they were selling legit Ogre clones is beyond me. Definitely could've been fakes or mislabeled. When compared to Death Star, it is next to impossible to tell the difference. Any one have experience with both the Ogre and Death Star? Does the real Ogre show this much resemblance to Death Star or are they much easier to tell apart?
I am on board with that comment. Was a time when in the 70,s 80,s you could count on the genetics you were getting. This task is getting increasingly harder to do. And it is only getting worse. We live in a world of instant gratification and no one , well I cant say no one, but most of the ole skool breeders are the ones that take the time, discipline money and blood sweat n tears to stabilize and lock down a strain. A lot a the young gun breeders/chuckers dont have the patience to really work a line and bring out the true essence of a strain. Just my perspective.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
It is all in the taste. They can look very similar but the real pudding is in the taste and nose. Tastes like putting a for lack of better descrip like drinking lemon pledge and have a gun barrel in your mouth. Very metallic. At least that has been my experience with both strains. Peace

DrGanj

DrGanj

I'm not that good at IDing plants in veg but some plants are distinguished enough to tell like the Dstar.... I've been around the clone for years and that looks like Dstar to me.

I have to say I agree @symbiote420. Before being gifted this clone, I was able to see the finished product and after one sniff I said "this is death star." the friend I got it from explained where it came from and assured me that it was Ogre. I run the ds regularly and am extremely familiar with its growth habits. the only reason I believed the Ogre was legitimate was due to their similarities. they were wayyyy too identical tho.. that's why I dropped the ogre and stuck with the ds.

hiiipower

hiiipower

I've heard the Ds has a signature growth pattern. Stretches till 4 wks almost, throws out odd leaves that curl and are half yellow sometimes. Buds start out tiny then slowly become the biggest in the room. Even leaf fingers will sometimes be half yellow and curled at the tip. Gets some color in the leaves at the end of bloom. Have to trim up the bottom of the plants 2x more than any other plant.That sounds right to anyone who knows the real Ds?

I have no idea if mine or that one is the real deal since I didn't get it from a legit source, but I know mine reeks of rubber. I call mine rubber tree plant lol I jokingly say it's the most appropriately named cross ever, smells like fucking death! I'm guessing mine is not real after hearing what you guys have to say.

Never run ogre so I can't compare the two but all the Ds I've ever had doesnt smell like kush to me.

H

happy b

I would murder my own granny for a cut of deathstar.im a huge ss fan and iv still never had any sour d.
i ordered some truth serum tru og x deathstar which is as close as im gonna get i think.

DrGanj

DrGanj

I've heard the Ds has a signature growth pattern. Stretches till 4 wks almost, throws out odd leaves that curl and are half yellow sometimes. Buds start out tiny then slowly become the biggest in the room. Even leaf fingers will sometimes be half yellow and curled at the tip. Gets some color in the leaves at the end of bloom. Have to trim up the bottom of the plants 2x more than any other plant.That sounds right to anyone who knows the real Ds?

I have no idea if mine or that one is the real deal since I didn't get it from a legit source, but I know mine reeks of rubber. I call mine rubber tree plant lol I jokingly say it's the most appropriately named cross ever, smells like fucking death! I'm guessing mine is not real after hearing what you guys have to say.

Never run ogre so I can't compare the two but all the Ds I've ever had doesnt smell like kush to me.

sounds like you have the real death star. likes to stretch until about week 4 and can easily exhibit magnesium deficiencies in flower. this is probably the yellowing you describe. definitely needs a LOT of pruning and/or lollipopping to allow light to more bud sites. fan leaves often turn purple late in flower and buds are the last in the room to swell.. and swell is exactly what they do. the curling/yellow leaf tips is uncommon in my experience but it sounds like it's just a slight nute overdose as the death star can be a little finicky when being fed too heavily before she's ready to pack on weight. should have a disgustingly overpowering scent that tastes of skunk and hash. it tastes nothing like OG Kush but the Sour D does add a little fuel to the flavor. taste should be mostly skunk and hash tho

hiiipower

hiiipower

sounds like you have the real death star. likes to stretch until about week 4 and can easily exhibit magnesium deficiencies in flower. this is probably the yellowing you describe. definitely needs a LOT of pruning and/or lollipopping to allow light to more bud sites. fan leaves often turn purple late in flower and buds are the last in the room to swell.. and swell is exactly what they do. the curling/yellow leaf tips is uncommon in my experience but it sounds like it's just a slight nute overdose as the death star can be a little finicky when being fed too heavily before she's ready to pack on weight. should have a disgustingly overpowering scent that tastes of skunk and hash. it tastes nothing like OG Kush but the Sour D does add a little fuel to the flavor. taste should be mostly skunk and hash tho

Yeah spot on! Thts cool. Make sense cause I have been very slightly overfeeding since I started coco.

JMcG

JMcG

Hmmmm... I wonder if I have a fake or the real DS? Got it along with some gg4 cuts that were verified as legit so maybe I got lucky twice!
I'll get some pics up tonight and see what you think.... just smoked some of the first harvest last night, a little early in the cure , but after a 14 day whole plant hang it's pretty sweet !

JMcG

JMcG

IMG 1287
IMG 1292
I wish my poor sense of smell didn't keep me from distinguishing between all the subtle fragrances , let alone the taste! It does have. A fuel like taste tho... Mine does grow just like what you're describing, tons is side branching so I pruned and removed a lot of foliage along with LST. She finished around 73 days.
Does this look like her?
First pic at 35 days. Next pic another one at 14 days.

Srenots

Srenots

View attachment 689120 View attachment 689119 I wish my poor sense of smell didn't keep me from distinguishing between all the subtle fragrances , let alone the taste! It does have. A fuel like taste tho... Mine does grow just like what you're describing, tons is side branching so I pruned and removed a lot of foliage along with LST. She finished around 73 days.
Does this look like her?
First pic at 35 days. Next pic another one at 14 days.
hear great things about DS, never tried but have some crosses....hope they fire

whitepistols

whitepistols

Th seeds has a death star, is it worth working? About to go vert and thought this would like vert growing method needing branchy plants. Train wreck and a C99 are about to poke their heads out

Latest posts

Top Bottom