The Rhizosphere - Roots, Soil And Everything In Between

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Any chance you guys know what the film between soil and root is called? Thanks I can't find it for the life of me

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Its under exudates(root produced excretions).
Is there mucilage coming from hydro roots?
If there is I don't think thats the word. The film I'm thinking of only forms between soil and roots....theres something special about that film specifically for its the only substrate that specific bacteria and fungus will propagate from

Last edited:
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Due believe as stated earlier it is mucilage =
  • a polysaccharide substance extracted as a viscous or gelatinous solution from plant roots, seeds, etc., and used in medicines and adhesives.
That article looks extraordinarily like a friends thread on another forum... It is entitled "Rhizosphere and symbiosis"
I found it at the site link I posted. Not sure of the origin.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Is there mucilage coming from hydro roots?
If there is I don't think thats the word. The film I'm thinking of only forms between soil and roots....theres something special about that film specifically for its the only substrate that specific bacteria and fungus will propagate from
yes it is what forms and causes the soil to aggregate and stick to the roots from the excudes. It acts like a glue or adhesive. That why you don't want to till soil it breaks up the aggregates or clumping.

I would assume that it is present in hydro, but cannot say decisively, maybe some can chime in. I assume that the bio mechanics are similar even though in hydro you aren't concerned with aggregating the soil as there isn't any. Good question

Latest posts

Top Bottom