The Right Size Of Light For My Grow Space

• Thread starter greentitan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

greentitan

Im looking at getting an LED light in the next week or so, my space for growing in is around 3.5ft x 3.5ft and about 6ft tall, im looking at getting somewhere between 600w - 1000w, was wondering what size people think i should get, and if anyone can suggest some brands worth looking at? any help appreciated thanks in advance

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Welcome to the farm!

For that size tent, a single 315cmh setup would rock (actually kill it). You get uva/uvb, great light spectrum, 20000hr bulb life. I'm partial to cmh now. Less heat vs 600w, less power draw, less ac usage. And If you air cool the hood, it will help even more. I went from all 600mh/hps to all 315 cmh.

If your set on led, I'd build my own. @sixstring builds a kick ads panel.

G

greentitan

Id rather have the led, there just seems to be less hassle involved with the set up and i built my box to go with an led light, will it really make that much of a difference?

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Honestly, I've not looked Into led too much, but I've been against led ever since I started growing. If you build one, it can and most likely will be a HUGE difference vs buying one built.

But seeing 1st hand what a 315cmh can do vs a 600hps and a 600mh bulb, it's a no brainer. There are quite a few garbage led units available, but then there's top shelf quality. But at a very hefty price tag.

G

greentitan

theres also garbage cmh, hps, and mh, its a matter of research, asking questions, and the size of your wallet, though i admit i hadnt given cmh any kind of a look, and ill have to now

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Id rather have the led, there just seems to be less hassle involved with the set up and i built my box to go with an led light, will it really make that much of a difference?
Yes it will make a difference.. the led will probably get you good pot but definitely less yield than hid .. welcome

G

greentitan

and what would happen if i go with a larger cmh than a 315w?

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Philips bulbs or nothing. Do NOT buy knockoffs or elcheapo 315 bulbs. A bulb failure was reported and set growers floor on fire. He was in room when it happened, so he was very lucky.

Dan789

Dan789

Hey, I would never throw any disparaging comments about anyone's grow lights but, check my grow, I've listed my lights, that didn't cost a fortune either to purchase outright or either operate. Two 4x4 tents, six plants, just under two "units". PM me for details. Links below. Peace

jeffsciv23

jeffsciv23

i have heard that the 315 is the way to go. i have been looking for a reason to get a new light and ditch my 400w hps. ive seen 315's as a conversion kit and ful setup. couldnt i just get a hood and get the conversion or is it better to buy the setup?

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I use a single Platinun p600 LED light in my 4'x4'x7' tent https://platinumgrowlights.com/products/p600 . It seems to fill about 2/3s the area really well. The company recommends two of them to completely saturate the area but they are really expensive and I'm only really using 2/3s of the tent to grow so it worked out for now. I'm a first time farmer so I'm not making any recommendations, just telling you what I used and it seemed to work really well so far.

some pictures of initial setup and pictures about 7 weeks into the grow:
IMG 20170116 191211
IMG 20170116 191228
IMG 20170328 200220
IMG 20170328 200325

BTW: the third picture has the veg and bloom switched on, the first two pictures only have the Veg switch on

P

Pimples

Thats overkill for hjs spot. Gavitas are more for multi lamp use...high ceilings and big operations. The heat would be killer too. Skip the led also. A 315 cmh would be banging or a 600 single ended air cooled hood. You will get more quantity from the air cooled sixer. Run less ac in the warm months if you set it up right with the proper in line fan and insulated ducting. The 315 cmh will give a great spectrum. Yield slightly less than the hps but the quality will be slightly better as well. I say skip the led. Unless you research a ton...theres alot of junk led lamps out there. Much more than HID fixtures. And when you start getting into this...your gonna see buddies killing it with HID lamps amd wish your led was one too. Trust me.

G gnome

G gnome

Thats overkill for hjs spot. Gavitas are more for multi lamp use...high ceilings and big operations. The heat would be killer too. Skip the led also. A 315 cmh would be banging or a 6600 single ended air cooled hood. You will get more quantity from the sixer. Run less ac in the warm months. Theb315
Joke man. It was a joke

sixstring

sixstring

Joke man. It was a joke
I was just about to back up your suggestion and add that 2 is better than 1 and he should run them fuckerz on the highest setting,1150w x 2 should "kill it" in a 3.5 x 3.5 x 6 rmfao

P

Pimples

I have heard of cats putting Gavitas and other double endeds in frikin tents and i just scratch my head. I have no clue how they do it. Or are they?

S

SHIRDABZALOT

I have used gravitas in a 8ft. Ceiling room (I did countersink them into the ceiling so technically it would be a 9ft ceiling). Don't know why people think you have to have 4 feet between bulbs and plants?? Maybe if your running 40 of them in a giant room with crazy overlap. but I rocked 8 in a 9ft room no prob with plants LESS than 2ft away from DE bulb. Its all about dialing your room and eliminating hotspots. Couple of the tops fried a lil....but all the mids became tops and way made up for on yield with that DE penetration..

And op I would definitely go 315 left over led maybe even 2 or a de 630 one. Just my opinion. But if you must have led listen to demon trich and build it. For some reason seems like no company builds a good one yet. Sixstrings blows the storeboughts out the water....for cheaper!

P

Pimples

I have used gravitas in a 8ft. Ceiling room (I did countersink them into the ceiling so technically it would be a 9ft ceiling). Don't know why people think you have to have 4 feet between bulbs and plants?? Maybe if your running 40 of them in a giant room with crazy overlap. but I rocked 8 in a 9ft room no prob with plants LESS than 2ft away from DE bulb. Its all about dialing your room and eliminating hotspots. Couple of the tops fried a lil....but all the mids became tops and way made up for on yield with that DE penetration..

And op I would definitely go 315 left over led maybe even 2 or a de 630 one. Just my opinion. But if you must have led listen to demon trich and build it. For some reason seems like no company builds a good one yet. Sixstrings blows the storeboughts out the water....for cheaper!
I have 8 gavita 6/750 lamps in a 7 foot ceiling. And actually its about 8 ft because i got them in betwixt my floor joices. I dare not go passed the 600 watt setting. And my plants are no taller than 2 to 2.5 ft. They work fine but these are sixers and low plants. You can tell the Gavitas just want to be up more and spread out. A little hobby one lamp/tent/micro room fixture they are not.

G

greentitan

i have bought a king plus 600 watt led for my first time, i chose this one for two reasons, a friend of mine has one and gets excellent results with it and hes offered to help me, secondly if it doesnt do what i want it to i can put the son of a bitch over top of my other hydroponic veggies and take that light thats over them now and use it for my mother plants XD . i have also decided to give the dwarf low flyer auto seeds from crop king a try for my first grow.

Top Bottom