The Silica Lie

• Thread starter Moses249
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Moses249

So I been using silica in bloom and veg. Dynagro silica specifically. And having gone a couple of rounds with it I haven't seen any noticable difference in yield or overall plant vigor really. I have been reading up and it seems that silica may just be another bullshit thing people r trying to hawk on us. What say the farmers. Do most of you use silica and see significant difference or have had simliar expierience to me?

sixstring

sixstring

sometimes I use it as a ph up if my nute mix is really low.but did you know............

Humans are born with more silica in their bodies than any other mineral, but it diminishes over time. Dietary sources of silica include apples, cucumbers, raisins and strawberries. However, many diets are insufficient and dietary silica is poorly absorbed thereby reducing the amount of silica available for your body.

:)

its supposed to help plants deal with heat stress and dry soil and air conditions also;)

jfizzle2cmu

jfizzle2cmu

Silica, from what I've read, is becoming more and more important the more we learn about it. They recently used some form of silica to create the first ever "zombified"-type cell.

Ever after

Ever after

uhh its so key to make the stems stronger and also helps alot with bud rot and PM silica is really important and less stem rot with silica its not for yield its for plant health and making sure the plants are strong

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

I use it as a ph up

As said above it helps create strong stems. Depending on genetics this might not be important

Its also supposed to help with heat stress, so if your temps are dialed in you might not need it as much

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I do cut it in flower for the most part..if your runnin H&G the drip clean has a little potassium silicate in there and acts as a good flushing agent as well..I like the Dynagro ProTekt stuff myself but Barricade/Rhino Skin from AN, Silica Blast from Botanicare, or even Fasilator from Aptus all work great...Rarely do I run it flower though except the Fasilator and thats in ever feed start to finish with Aptus

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
So I been using silica in bloom and veg. Dynagro silica specifically. And having gone a couple of rounds with it I haven't seen any noticable difference in yield or overall plant vigor really. I have been reading up and it seems that silica may just be another bullshit thing people r trying to hawk on us. What say the farmers. Do most of you use silica and see significant difference or have had simliar expierience to me?

Plants require silica to form sufficiently rigid cell walls. My own experience was that the plants were far better able to hold themselves up, and far better able to tolerate difficult conditions (rain, heat, cold, pests and disease). I try to get them their silica via the soil instead of having to foliar, but for indoors I'm happy to give via foliar. Doesn't take much, either, so it's a very cost effective form of prevention, health insurance.

All that said, it is VERY easy to overdo the Si. The 'if a little is good, then more must be better' ideology must be tossed out the window on this one.

EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

Silica is ideal, I've done runs with and without it and the difference is noticeable.. Wouldn't say it bumps yield like crazy but will help you get stronger stems which in turn keeps your girls upright instead of flopping over from heavy weight nugs.. Last run I was really happy with it I didn't have to many floppy Ogeez, they just leaned back a little this time which made the difference..

Btw if you can get AGR Bloom Silica (yellow bottles) it's the most bang for the buck in liquid form it has 40% silica, unless you like using dry version of silica..

Since I don't have it available I've been using Armor Si GH new silica it tops out at 10% silica which is better than rest of the brands out on shelves..

squiggly

squiggly

Incorporation of silica into cell wall structures in the vast majority of plants is well documented. As EveryOneSmokes said, its the difference between a floppy bitch in late flower versus one who is holding all of her nugs up proudly for everyone to see.

It's not really something you're looking for to bump yield or improve flavor--it's something at the min/max level that helps a bit with manageability of the girls (and can prevent the dreaded broken stem).

NightShift

NightShift

Silica seems to make my bud burn better. It helps regulate the burn. Bud doesnt' burn up as quick. It smolders. Ash is white. I use silica blast and also Pr0tekt. depending on if I wanna give extra K or not.

homebrew420

homebrew420

Silica bennies are "sorta". It may or maynot really help other than drought. I still use with neem.never seemed to do a thing in my experience when feeding. Didn't hurt either.
Just my 2cents
Peace

Top Bottom