The War on Medical Marijuana in MI Super Thread, NEWS,BUST,LAWS <<<<Updated Often>>>>

• Thread starter oscar169
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
2 Metro Detroit Women Jailed In Texas; Police Say $716K In Marijuana Destined For Dearborn

marijuana-bust-texas.jpg

AMARILLO, Texas (WWJ/AP) –
Two Michigan women have been arrested in Texas and accused of trying to smuggle $716,000 worth of marijuana from Arizona.

The Texas Department of Public Safety on Tuesday announced the seizure of about 118 pounds of marijuana near Amarillo.

A trooper on Monday afternoon stopped an eastbound car on Interstate 40. Police didn’t immediately say what led to the stop or what prompted the trooper to search the car, finding bundles of marijuana in the trunk.

Potter County jail records show Teuta Hajdini of Dearborn, Michigan, and Adelina Dedvukai of Farmington Hills, Michigan, were being held without bond Tuesday. Both are charged with possession and delivery of marijuana over 50 pounds but less than 2000 pounds, a first-degree felony.

Investigators believe the pot was being hauled from Tempe, Arizona, to Dearborn.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/06...-say-716k-in-marijuana-destined-for-dearborn/

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
How a sex toy put national spotlight on Michigan civil asset forfeiture laws targeted for reform
ginnifer-hencyjpg-647aee6670e84e3d.jpg

LANSING, MI — Ginnifer Hency's vibrator was not an accessory to an alleged crime that a judge says did not occur.

But Hency, who has multiple sclerosis and is registered to legally use and grow medical marijuana for other patients, says members of a drug task force confiscated her sex toy when they raided her family home last year and charged her with intent to possess and deliver pot.

A judge assigned to the criminal case determined that a crime did not occur, exonerating Hency pending any appeal by prosecutors, but her personal property remains in lock up.

"They have had my stuff for 10 months," Hency told Michigan lawmakers last week during a hearing on the state's civil asset forfeiture laws. "My ladders, my iPads, my children's iPads, my children's phones, my medicine for my patients. Why a ladder? Why my vibrator? I don't know either? Why TVs?"

St. Clair County Sheriff Tim Donnellon has denied that the drug task force confiscated Hency's vibrator when it raided her home near Port Huron and seized other property, but her testimony has garnered national media attention.

The story has been picked up by the likes of Forbes and Washington Post TV.

Michigan lawmakers are considering a package of bills to reform the state's civil asset forfeiture laws, which allow law enforcement agencies to confiscate property linked to an alleged crime regardless of whether the accused is convicted.

Critics say civil asset forfeiture invites abuse, and Hency, in her testimony, questioned why the drug task force confiscated her personal possessions rather than the lights and ballasts she was using to grow medical marijuana in accordance with state law.

"That is what forfeiture laws are made for, is to stop growing drugs," she said. They left that stuff, but they took the stuff that doesn't grow drugs, supposedly. I did not get bound over by the judge in St. Clair County, but they still have my stuff."

While criminal cases are adjudicated in criminal court, forfeiture cases go through civil court, where the burden of proof is often lower.

Bills before the Michigan Judiciary Committee would raise the evidentiary standard in civil forfeiture cases — including nuisance claims that do not involve drugs — from a preponderance of evidence to clear and convincing evidence that the property was used in the commission of a crime.

Other proposals in the package would increase asset forfeiture reporting requirements for law enforcement agencies and prohibit police from seizing a car that was used by someone purchasing 1 ounce or less of marijuana.

The reform push is supported by a variety of groups and lawmakers that do not always see eye-to-eye on other issues, including the Mackinac Center for Public Policy and the American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan.

"I think it speaks to the power of this argument," state Rep. Jeff Irwin, D-Ann Arbor, said during a recent forum hosted by the Mackinac Center, "the power of the confluence of philosophies you're getting from people on both sides of the political spectrum coming together saying, 'This isn't right. We have to fix this.'"

Michigan scored a D-minus in a 2010 review of civil asset forfeiture laws conducted by the libertarian Institute for Justice.

"The real issue is the state of Michigan, like all but nine other states, has decided to let law enforcement supplement its budget with forfeiture proceeds," Lee McGrath, legislative counsel for the institute, said at the Mackinac Center forum.

Michigan police agencies reported $24.3 million in civil asset forfeitures from drug cases in 2013, according to the Michigan State Police. Eight percent of agencies did not file a report with the state, however, and federally-shared forfeitures are not subject to existing state statute.

"Michigan's asset forfeiture program saves taxpayer money and deprives drug criminals of cash and property obtained through illegal activity," MSP Director Kristie Etue told lawmakers in a July report.

A number of states have reformed forfeiture laws in recent years, with New Mexico taking an aggressive step to prohibit any civil asset forfeiture without a conviction. U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder also announced new federal limits in March.

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/06/how_a_sex_toy_put_national_spo.html

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Vibrator taken during marijuana police raid, says woman
Ginnifer Hency says that police raid led investigators to seize a couple of guns, a small amount of cash and cell phones with a lot of medical marijuana.

And also something very personal.

"My medicine for my patients, why a ladder, why my vibrator, I don't know either," Hency said during a Michigan House Committee meeting.

And that last part is creating quite the buzz - a story now gone viral and raising questions about Michigan's civil asset forfeiture laws

"They've had my stuff for 10 months now," she said.

Ginnifer and her husband Dean Hency say it all happened when their home was raided last July. They both are licensed medical marijuana patients and caregivers. They claim to be targeted by St. Clair County's drug task force.

It began when Ginnifer says she walked into a medical marijuana licensing facility as it was being raided.

"They asked me how much medicine I had in my backpack," she said. "I said six ounces then they said to get a warrant for our house."

The havoc they wreaked," Dean said, "they just threw stuff around. Just dirt dumped all over the place."

"We were in complete compliance with the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act and they destroyed my house," Ginnifer said.

But St. Clair County Sheriff Tim Donnellon says they were not, and added that officers did not take her vibrator and would never have a reason to.

He says aside from that allegation, the task force's actions were justified and par for the course.

Even so, a judge dismissed the criminal charge of possession with intent to distribute against Ginnifer Hency two weeks ago.

But here's what she says happened when she went to the prosecutor's office to get her property back.

"Lisa Wiznowski who is the assistant prosecuting attorney said 'I can still beat you in civil court, I can still take your stuff.'"

Michael Komorn is the Hencys' lawyer.

"This is bully tactics," he said. "We have your property we couldn't get any charges to stick, we're just going to keep it. drag it out.

"Here's a person who they took her property and they couldn't even make the charges stick let alone get a conviction. So if there's an example of why there needs to be reform it's this."

"They left my (equipment) I used to grow 'drugs' - they left that," Hency said when she testified. "Now that is what the state forfeiture laws are made for."

The St. Clair County Prosecutor's Office has about a week to appeal a visiting judge's decision to drop those charges against Ginnifer Hency.

That civil case regarding her property still pending.

The sheriff, Tim Donnellon, says the drug taskforce has been in place for 30 years and has a 99 percent conviction rate. He says there was nothing unusual about this case except for Hency's testimony about her vibrator which he claims is false.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/29213047/vibrator-taken-during-marijuana-police-raid-says-woman

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Sticky notes could end prosecution in medical marijuana case

HOLLY (AP) -- Sticky notes could save a woman from drug charges in Oakland County.

In a 4-3 decision, the Michigan Supreme Court says sticky notes indicating dates of marijuana harvest qualify as legal paraphernalia. The court says that gives immunity to Cynthia Mazur of Holly because her husband was registered to use medical marijuana.

Justice Richard Bernstein wrote the majority opinion. The case now goes back to Oakland County court for more work.

In a dissent, Justice Stephen Markman says sticky notes weren't used to grow or prepare marijuana and can't be defined as paraphernalia. Justice Brian Zahra wrote a separate dissent Thursday, joined by Chief Justice Robert Young Jr.

http://www.minbcnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=1216692#.VXrVnbb0yuA

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Ex-lawmaker from Grand Rapids arrested in marijuana probe

GRAND RAPIDS (AP) — A former state lawmaker has been arrested in a marijuana investigation in Grand Rapids.

The Kent County sheriff's department says Roy Schmidt was arrested Thursday after charges were approved by prosecutors.

The 61-year-old Schmidt is in jail and will appear Friday in District Court. His home was searched Wednesday. Tom Schmidt says his brother has done nothing illegal.

Schmidt was a longtime public official in Grand Rapids, first as a city commissioner and then as a member of the Michigan House. He was defeated in 2012 after a surprising switch to the Republican Party.

Schmidt changed parties just before an election filing deadline and tried to have a 22-year-old political novice run against him. He and then-House Speaker Jase Bolger were investigated but no charges were filed.

http://www.petoskeynews.com/news/st...cle_b3d2398a-921c-5b28-b080-2b605c9cde71.html

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Marijuana legalization could be on 2016 ballot

LANSING – Two measures to legalize marijuana could appear on the November 2016 state ballot after the Board of State Canvassers approved petition wording Thursday.

At least one and possibly two more measures to legalize marijuana for recreational use could still be on their way to the ballot.

The board on Thursday unanimously approved petiton wordings for the Michigan Cannabis Coalition and the Cannabis Law Reform Committee, though board members expressed concern that the petition wording for the Cannabis Law Reform Committee — though apparently meeting legal requirements — was too small and narrowly spaced to make it easily legible for members of the public.

Each group must now collect close to 253,000 signatures to send legislation to legalize marijuana before the Legislature. If not approved by lawmakers, the proposed laws would then go before the public in November of 2016.

Matt Marsden, a former Senate Republican staffer who is the spokesman for the Michigan Cannabis Coalition, said his group's proposal would provide for the licensing of cannabis growers and retailers and provide tax revenues for the state. Legalizing marijuana could also significantly reduce the Michigan prison budget because the state would no longer lock up marijuana violators, he said.

Attorney Jeffrey Hank, chairman of the Cannabis Law Reform Committee, rejected suggestions his group's petition was too hard to read.

"I think it's perfectly readable and the wording is publicly available and has been for some time," Hank said.

Hank said unlike Marsden's group, his group would not leave ongoing control in the hands of a Legislature, which he said has failed to adequately manage an earlier state law that made medical marijuana legal for those who need it.

Recreational marijuana is legal in Washington state, Colorado and Washington, D.C., and is expected to become legal in Oregon this summer.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Commerce Township Considers Marijuana Growing Restrictions

In a pair of meetings on June 8 and 9, Commerce Township will consider to what degree they allow people to participate in the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act (MMMA) by considering an ordinance that would restrict how and where patients can grow their marijuana.

Attorneys and activists alike are in an uproar over the proposed language.

The ordinance offers a unique and restrictive definition of who can grow and where it can be done. It also requires some unique security and monitoring standards that exceed any other measure currently in place in other cities.

To begin, the ‘Definitions’ section of the proposal contains provocative language. From the proposal:

Medical marijuana cultivation facility means a building where more than twelve (12) marijuana plants are being grown in compliance with the MMMA.

Medical marijuana dispensary means a building or part of a building where there is a transfer of marijuana between primary caregivers or between qualifying patients. This definition does not include a building in which the transfer of marijuana occurs between a primary caregiver and his or her qualifying patient.

Plant means any marihuana plant with not more than one readily observable root formation.

Defining a plant based on root structure is a completely unique interpretation, one that demands a scientific explanation. A house where more than twelve marijuana plants are grown is often a home where both spouses are medical marijuana patients. There appears to be no allowance within the ordinance for this family-friendly growing scenario.

Extraordinary restrictions and record keeping is proposed by the Commerce Township ordinance. “The primary caregiver shall keep a written log including the identifying number, date and time of every person entering the medical marihuana cultivation facility, which shall be made available to law enforcement…”

A log of each and every person entering the building is a more restrictive requirement than used by gun-wielding guards in the State Capitol Building, the Anderson House Building or any police department anywhere.

Despite recent court rulings eliminating a federal basis for restricting medical marijuana activities locally, the Commerce Township ordinance contains this phrase:

“…marijuana continues to be classified as a Schedule 1 controlled substance under federal law making it unlawful under federal law to use, manufacture, distribute, or dispense, or possess with intent to manufacture, distribute, or dispense marijuana.”

“This proposal appears to carry several violations of the Supreme Court decision in Ter Beek vs Wyoming,” said Jamie Lowell, Chairman of the Michigan chapter of Americans for Safe Access, a national patient advocacy organization.

The proposal will be heard during a Planning and Zoning meeting on June 8, followed by a vote of the Township Board on the 9th.

David Rudoi, an attorney from Royal Oak, said, “This is really going to hurt patients.”

Rudoi will be in attendance at the township council meeting on Tuesday along with other attorneys with interests in the outcome, including Southfield lawyer Farris Haddad.

“These ordinances are an expressed attempt to violate people’s protections under the MMMA, to keep them from being caregivers within their own home, forcing them into specific areas which will drive up their cost and result in a greater cost to the medicine in the end,” Rudoi said.

Both meetings are open to the public.

Monday, June 8- 7pm Planning and Zoning meeting

Tuesday, June 9- 7pm Township Board meeting

2009 Township Dr., Commerce, Michigan, 48390

Source: The Compassion Chronicles

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
CANNABIS WILL BE LEGALIZED IN MICHIGAN!

THE NOV 2016 ELECTION WILL DECIDE WHO CONTROLS CANNABIS IN MICHIGAN!

Can we win cannabis freedom with MILegalize? …or

Will we let rich investors monopolize marijuana in Michigan?
We must END marijuana prohibition, PROTECT medical marijuana rights, and DEFEAT the monopoly capitalists who plan to win control of all legal cannabis production in Michigan.

“Reefer madness” was always based on lies. Marijuana prohibition is a home grown human rights disaster; destroying the lives of millions of innocent people.

Marijuana prohibition has been as ineffective as alcohol prohibition .Most Americans agree that it is time to end it. Marijuana is less harmful than alcohol. It is less toxic, less addictive, and it does not contribute to violence or reckless behavior. Adults should not be punished for using the safer substance.
Regulating marijuana like alcohol will displace the underground market with a well regulated market. Authorities will know what is happening, taxes will be paid, and marijuana will be checked for quality. New income will go to the state or to localities, rather than to criminal gangs. Law enforcement official’s time and resources would be better spent addressing serious crime instead of harassing adults for using marijuana. And marijuana prohibition is enforced in a very racist way.

SUPPORT MILegalize!! Fight back NOW! OR MEDICAL MARIJUANA AND THE “HOME GROW” WILL BE ABOLISHED. THE POLICE STATE COULD GROW STRONGE R AS GROW MARIJUANA IS “LEGALIZED”.

Three Groups plan to “legalize marijuana” in Michigan. Two of them are run by folks who have never been involved in cannabis law reform, and one of them plans to monopolize all cannabis production and extraction in Michigan. This is the opposite of freedom, and would keep the whole Police/Prison Industrial Complex still fully in business.
The real Michigan cannabis law reform community has created an excellent plan for marijuana legalization in 2016, the Michigan Marihuana Legalization, Regulation, and Economic Stimulus Act! View our petition at MILegalize.com!. Our initiative will allow a 12 plant home grow for “persons” and “localities” may license dispensaries and marijuana production facilities. Edibles and concentrates are specifically legalized.

In one initiative we can legalize, tax, and regulate marijuana; extend the rights of those who have a doctor’s recommendation for medical use; and allow farmers to grow industrial hemp! With your help we can do this!

Cannabis policy in Michigan is far ahead of all midwest states because we fought politically, strong and hard, and won again and again. This is the time to stay strong, united, and put up resources. As Ben Franklin said – now we will hang together or we will hang separately.

In Nov. of 2016 we may triumph with the MILegalize initiative – or fight to a draw and maintain the status quo, or be wiped out by big money. It is up to us – we have the cash and people power if we focus and organize!

There is no political strength without money, PLEASE DONATE on our website, MILegelize.com!! PLEASE COME TO THE CRITICAL FUNNDRAISER ON JUNE 26!

THIS FUNDRAISER COULD MAKE OR BREAK THE INDEPENDENT CANNABIS COMMUNITY IN MICHIGAN. WHAT HAPPENS ON NOV 8. 2016 MAY SET THE FRAMEWORK FOR CANNABIS REGULATION IN MICHIGAN FOR DECADES. BE THERE IF YOU CAN!

June 26, Polo Fields Country Club, Ann Arbor. There are three levels of support

(Some donors may surprise us with even larger gifts). The gold level of giving for our fine evening of food and politics will be $500 per person or $750 per couple. We need support at our platinum level, which is $1000 per person or $1400 per couple. $2500 buys the green level of support, for an individual, a couple, or a company (four people).
Speakers will include state representative Jeff Irwin and an excellent supporting cast.

Be there June 26! (or send a donation)! We need to be masters of our fate – not slaves to wealthy monopolists or political shenanigans. Contact Chuck Ream at [email protected] or Nick Zettell at [email protected].

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Hope to Hell No one on here has been working with any of the named Narcs in this article in MMM Report...:eek:
Raids Gaylord MI

yooper420

yooper420

Curmudgeonlander
Supporter
Sure as hell is scary. Read that magazine last week, glad they put the "narc`s" names in there for the world to see.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Sure as hell is scary. Read that magazine last week, glad they put the "narc`s" names in there for the world to see.
and that is why I scanned and posted the article here, To take care of my Bros .....:cigar:

Bill Murry

Bill Murry

http://www.metrotimes.com/Blogs/arc...s_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=19626800
Lawsuit: Indicted Detroit drug cops executed search from false affidavit

Posted By Ryan Felton on Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 4:45 pm

• Via Flickr Creative Commons, Mike Boening Photography

A pair of Detroit police officers who were indicted as part of a federal probe into the city's scandal-plagued narcotics unit have been named in a civil lawsuit, alleging the cops wrongly detained a Detroit resident after illegally searching his home with a warrant based on false statements.

The lawsuit, filed in November by Anthony and Elaine McCallum, initially named two Detroit Police Department officers involved in the raid. But an amended complaint filed Thursday added Lt. David "Hater" Hansberry and Officer Bryan "Bullet" Watson, among several others, as additional defendants.

In April, Hansberry and Watson were indicted on accusations of stealing drugs, extortion, and carrying out fake arrests.

The McCallums say officers executed a search warrant in 2013 on their home that was based on false statements given by a Detroit law enforcement official in a sworn affidavit, according to the complaint.

The officers — "particularly [Sgt. Stephen] Geelhood and Watson" — physically assaulted Anthony and threatened Elaine "for no reason," according to the complaint. It's unclear what role Hansberry played, but the complaint says the officers named as defendants "executed the search warrant in bad faith, knowing that the information requesting the warrant was false."

Upon entering the couple's home, the officers assaulted Anthony McCallum, handcuffed and arrested the 47-year-old "without probable cause," and wrongfully pursued prosecution, according to the complaint.

As a result of the April 2013 search, Anthony McCallum was charged with intent to deliver and manufacture marijuana, intent to deliver and manufacture less than 50 grams of cocaine, firearms possession by a felon, and felony firearms, court records show — but all charges were eventually dismissed when issues surrounding the warrant arose.

McCallum was convicted in 1997 of assault with intent to commit sexual penetration, according to the Michigan State Police sex offender registry.

The issues surrounding the raid of the McCallums home began from the onset.

Police obtained the search warrant based on an affidavit signed by Officer Amy Matelic, according to a court transcript from an Aug. 8, 2013 hearing on the charges brought against Anthony McCallum, who initially plead not guilty on each count.

In the sworn affidavit, Matelic — who's also named as defendant in the complaint filed Thursday — stated she received a tip from a confidential informant that cocaine was being sold and stored within McCallum's home. The informant provided tips in the past that led to arrests and generated cases in 3rd Circuit Court and 36th District Court, according to the transcript.

The problem? According to the transcript, Matelic had no direct conversation with the informant or personal knowledge of the tip; another officer, Gil Hood, actually received it. But, for unclear reasons, Hood didn't sign the affidavit.

"So the affidavit I mean really just cannot be described as anything other than false in that respect," said Wayne County Circuit Court Judge Michael Hathaway, during the 2013 hearing.

The only thing "honestly averred in the affidavit," Hathaway said, is that Matelic and Hood conducted surveillance of McCallum's property.

"That in and of itself does not provide probable cause for the warrant," Hathaway said.

In his parting words, Hathaway offered this to Anthony McCallum: "You have dodged a bullet. It is highly unlikely that this will ever happen again. And I strongly urge you to clean up your act."

The case and charges against McCallum were dismissed following the hearing in Hathaway's courtroom.

"The conduct of the [police officers] wrongfully imprisoned and prosecuted Anthony McCallum," the three-count complaint filed in Wayne County Circuit Court stated.

The allegations were first reported by MTin March.

Thomas Kuhn, the McCallums' attorney, couldn't be reached for comment on Thursday. Messages were left for attorneys representing Hansberry and Watson seeking comment.

The McCallums demand a jury trial and seek compensatory damages in excess of $25,000, and attorney's fees and costs. The complaint claims several civil rights violation, malicious prosecution, and says the city of Detroit — which is also named as a defendant and hasn't yet responded to the complaint — is liable for failing to adequately train officers.

The couple accuses the city of "routinely concealing, covering up, and hiding evidence of wrongdoing by law enforcement officials."

The city's narcotics unit was disbanded last summer by Detroit Police Chief James Craig. Since August, it has been the focus of an FBI probe.

The trial for Hansberry, Watson, and an alleged associate is slated to begin in August.

A third officer charged in connection with the probe, Arthur Leavells, pleaded guilty in connection with the alleged conspiracy earlier this year.

Leavells allegedly distributed cocaine from June 2010 until he was suspended in October 2014, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office. He has since resigned from the department and faces up to 20 years in prison and a maximum $250,000 fine.

No specific incidents are cited in the charge brought against Leavells, but his name appears in documents related to a disputed raid of a Warren home in December 2013 — first reported byMT — where Detroit narcotics officers seized over 70 marijuana plants.

The raid has since become the focus of a civil lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Detroit.

According to the complaint filed by Warren couple Timothy and Hatema Davis, members of DPD's narcotics squad forcibly entered their home, demanded to know if they had any money, and seized nearly fifty marijuana plants. Timothy Davis was legally licensed to operate a marijuana grow facility, the complaint says.

Davis was then taken to a seemingly abandoned building and questioned for several hours, according to the complaint.

It was Leavells' surveillance of the home that led Detroit officers across city limits to conduct the raid, records show.

In a sworn affidavit for a search warrant, Leavells said he received a tip that "large amounts of marijuana" were located inside the Davis' home.

On Dec. 22, 2013, Leavells set about surveying the property. In the affidavit, he says he witnessed Timothy Davis leave his house in a white vehicle, drive to the intersection of Dresden and Bringard on Detroit's northeast side, and park. Soon after, he continued, a black Dodge Magnum appeared and the driver, a thirty-something male, entered Davis' car.

"[T]he passenger stayed a short time and then exited the target vehicle carrying a plastic bag, returned to the Magnum, and [left the] location," Leavells wrote, adding he witnessed similar scenarios occur in the following days.

Leavells said the alleged transactions gave sufficient "probable cause" to execute the search warrant. A Wayne County magistrate judge signed the warrant at 11:24 a.m. on Dec. 26, 2013; the raid commenced the following afternoon. Police seized $275, 77 marijuana plants, and a 2005 Cadillac from the property, records show.

The criminal indictment filed against the alleged ringleaders — Hansberry and Watson — says the group failed to log evidence money and drugs seized during searches of homes. Instead, they sold the drugs on their own and split the profits, the indictment alleges.

Leavells reportedly recorded conversations using a wiretap to assist the FBI in its investigation. He has since resigned from the department.

Sgt. Geelhood, who was involved in the search of the McCallums property, also participated in the Warren raid, according to a copy of the Warren Police Department's incident report obtained byMT.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Michigan Medical Marijuana ‘Provisioning Centers Act’ Hijacked And Corrupted
michiganmarijuana300.jpg

1,500 marijuana plants in a single garden? Armed guards transporting pot brownies from the kitchen to the warehouse? A 16% tax on medical marijuana?

With the release of the latest draft of Michigan’s medical marijuana dispensary bill, HB 4209, sponsor Rep. Michael Callton (R-Nashville) has taken The Provisioning Centers Act in a “drastically different” direction. The flip-flop by Callton has longtime supporters insistent on change and threatening to abandon their support for the four-year old proposal.

Seemingly involved in the major shift in direction: the Michigan Cannabis Development Association (MCDA) and Lansing-area real estate mogul Ron Boji, Commissioner of the Department of Transportation for the State of Michigan serving a term through 2017.

Robin Schneider, Legislative Liaison for the pro-patient lobbying group National Patients Rights Association(NPRA) appeared on The Planet Green Trees Radio Show’s June 18 broadcast to discuss Draft 5 of HB 4209. The NPRA is the leading lobbying organization in Michigan advocating for the restoration of legality for patient use of non-smoked forms of cannabis and to establish organized and regulated distribution of medical marijuana in the state.

In studio with host Michael Komorn were co-hosts Jamie Lowell and this author, Rick Thompson, two men who helped draft the original version of this bill in 2011.

Lowell called the new language a “distinct departure” from the version introduced in the House earlier this year. The bill took testimony during two House Judiciary sessions, one May 1 and one on May 7, but none of these radical changes were offered or suggested during those hearings.

ENTER: THE MIDDLEMAN

Jamie Lowell began the segment on PGT by announcing that Rep. Michael Callton (R-Nashville) declined to appear on the show.

“I asked Rep. Callton tonight if he would come on (the radio show) and if he’d be willing to explain what’s been going on, what happened, whether or not he supports this bill in this form,” Lowell explained.

“His response to me was:

“I can’t do the show tonight. There are very dynamic and sensitive negotiations going on right now with police groups and the Governor’s office that I can’t really talk about on the radio.”

One of those sensitive issues must be the newly-created concept of adding a middleman to deny direct sales of cannabis from grower to Provisioning Center.

“In the most recent draft (Draft 5), there is something called a (marijuana) distributorship.” The NPRA is “fundamentally very opposed to that concept,” Schneider said.

“What that means is a grower would be able to sell marijuana to a distributor and the distributor would transport it, store it, test it, and then sell it to the provisioning centers.”

“Provisioning centers would only be allowed to buy marijuana from a distributor. ”

Schneider said the program was “similar to the three-tiered alcohol model.”

The distributor controls transport of all cannabis going in to and out of a processor’s business, a grower’s garden and from the distributor to the provisioning centers themselves, Schneider explained, integrating their businesses far more than just “a middleman that is buying it and selling it and jacking up the price.”

“It’s transport and warehousing,” Thompson said. “(Distributors) would purchase all the cannabis from the grow facilities, they would hold it and then distribute it to whom they decided and to whom was willing to pay the price they wanted.”

“That’s right,” Schneider agreed. “It’s pretty clear it is somebody interjecting themselves into a position to make a lot of money.”

Inserting a mandatory warehouse program carries consequences to the consumer, Schneider offered. “There would be an added middleman in between the grower and the provisioning center. That’s certainly a concern for us because it’s not a very necessary step in there… but mostly because it’s going to add an enormous cost to the final price of the medicine.”

“Over the years, we’ve always tried to keep the focus on the patients, what’s best for them, but we do have a lot of business interests coming in and corrupting the process.”

Schneider said changes to the draft of the bill were needed in order for the NPRA “to continue supporting the bill.”

TAXES, ASSESSMENTS AND 1500 PLANTS

The bill proposes to create giant mega-pot farms in Michigan. “It would be a maximum number of 1500 plants (per license) in this bill,” Schneider revealed. Currently, each patient is allowed to cultivate up to 12 marijuana plants on their own or through a caregiver.

The emphasis is heavy on taxes and assessments.

“They want to charge a 16% tax on the marijuana between the distributor and the dispensary,” Schneider said, and called the tax “insane and not appropriate to charge for a medically-needed product.”

HB 4209 requires a new governmental agency be established to regulate the distributors and Provisioning centers. In order to jump-start the program an initial assessment is necessary to offset costs, Schneider said. Businesses approved to participate in the program would collectively pay the fee. “There would also be an assessment paid through the licensing of the businesses of $12 million in the first year.”

The PGT on-air staff members were shocked to hear this number, but Schneider said “the original number was $50 million.”

By comparison, “The entire state of Alaska runs their entire recreational program on $1.5 million,” she added.

TIMING IS EVERYTHING

Earlier this year, professional lobbyist Ken Cole from Lansing powerhouse firm GCSI told a group of marijuana business owners during a public meeting he could “hijack” a pair of bills in the Michigan legislature, HB4209 and HB4210. He suggested the bills could be flipped from pro-patient to pro-business, therefore creating a unique advantage for his clients- the MCDA- in the medical marijuana marketplace.

With the publication of Draft 5 of The Provisioning Centers Act, it appears Cole has earned his money.

Since that public meeting, the two bills were given a pair of hearings in the House Judiciary Committee, led by Rep. Klint Kesto (R-Commerce Township). The hearings began with a presentation by the Michigan State Police (MSP) on the evils of marijuana and cannabis consumers, based on information provided by the Colorado Police Chiefs Association, where the MSP claimed a single marijuana grower in Michigan produces 18,000 joints in a single year.

The hearings featured testimony from parents of sick children, industry representatives and concerned citizens. None of the changes appearing in Draft 5 were offered, discussed or even hinted at. The draft was released by Callton’s office just days before the legislature is prepared to break for summer recess, minimizing the fallout for Lansing politicos who have offered a proposal that is, very predictably, not going to be well-received.

Komorn asked about that special summer session of the legislature.

“(The legislature) are having a couple of special sessions this summer, one in July and possibly another one in August,” Schneider said. ”From what I was told we’ll be in a workgroup for the next month and we’ll be coming back in July.”

“Law enforcement wants to keep these two bills as a package and tackle them at the same time,” Schneider said later during the interview. “As far as we’re concerned, HB 4209 needs a lot of work.”

“We’re nowhere near being ready to support it.”

Giving the bill a hearing during a special summer session should minimize the media attention and public participation, a strategy that has been used to shelter politically unpopular legislation.

ORIGIN

When asked by host Komorn about the impetus for the changes, Schneider said, “some of those were to address law enforcement concerns, some of it came from the governor’s office and administration, and of course there’s this distributorship thing. I’m assuming it came from business interests that want to be the middleman and distribute all the marijuana in the state.”

Lowell identified one name that had come up repeatedly in conversations in Lansing regarding the “dramatic changes” to the bills: “Ron Boji.”

When asked, Schneider said, “Yes, I do have knowledge that he is lobbying for a marijuana distributorship at this time.”

The Boji Group owns the Boji Tower or Capital View, Lansing’s tallest building and the new home of the Michigan Senate. Boji is a Snyder appointee to the position of Transportation Commissioner in 2013 and was named Lansing Entrepreneur of the Year by a trade organization earlier this year.

Schneider singled out the spike in new lobbyists haunting Lansing as a factor in the derailing of the Provisioning Centers Act. “When you have these corporate interests show up, approaching this from a ‘how much money can I make’ point of view, it makes it very difficult to get something passed that is good for the patients.”

She added, “I would definitely say that we’re the only ones in there fighting for the little guy. It’s very intimidating, very overwhelming. It’s difficult.”

Later, Schneider said, “I would recommend, now that (Draft 5) has been circulated and that everybody knows that Ron Boji is pushing for a distributorship/middleman, I would say anyone that is concerned about that should go ahead and give Rep. Callton a call. Absolutely. Let him know how you feel about that.”

“Rep. Kesto, with that being in his Committee, that would also be welcomed as well.”

Rep. Callton’s contact information:

Phone: 517-373-0842
Toll Free: 855-373-0842
Fax: 517-373-6979
Email: [email protected]

Rep. Kesto can be reached through his office at:

Phone: (517) 373-1799
FAX: (517) 373-8361Email: [email protected]

http://www.theweedblog.com/michigan...visioning-centers-act-hijacked-and-corrupted/

FiveAM

FiveAM

Just another bunch of BS from the people elected in this state. GREED. Fuck the people right? How these assholes got reelected is still beyond me, CORRUPTION and GREED.

S

SHIRDABZALOT

Mark my wordz: IF YOU MI GUYS LEGALIZE; THEY WILL FUCK YOU (big business that is)!!! It will never get any better than it is RIGHT NOW!! I'm from Washington where they continue to fuck us more and more everyday, after promising to not touch medical. Lies lies lies. Never believe a Fuckin word they say. Period. They say left you go right. They say jump, you duck. Do the opposite of their agenda and you will be right 99% of the time.

Top Bottom