Things around the house as fertilizers

• Thread starter Eledin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Eledin

Eledin

Hello fellow growers! I made this post so we can share our info and debate about homemade fertilizers. Even tho I use super soil and organic liquid fertilizers I always like to make use of whats around the house. Ill list some of the ones that I use and the most common ones and we can debate if they are good, bad or useless.

-Coffee grounds and/or teas mixed with the soil for ph regulation and some nutes.
-Eggshells mixed with the soil. (Calcium, I know it takes months for them to start releasen the calcium in the soil, so only good if you reuse the soil)
-Egshells with vinegar for fast absorption calcium. (Adding some epsom salts after mixing everything with water you have a calmag with a bit of sulfur)
-Banana peel tea: (carbs, vegetal protein and micro and macro nutrients, specially potassium)
-Germinated lentils solution (Micro and macro nutrients but mostly auxines for faster plant and root development in veg)
-Buck of water where your plant waste goes if you cant compost. let it sit for a few weeks, it becomes stronger every month, specially if you keep adding material.
-Molasses. (not adviced for hydro. Aminoacids and carbs to feed soil life and fatten buds)
-DIY insect frass. I leave my fluorescent tubes (in my room, kitchen, and living room. I use LED in the tent) slightly open so gnats, flies and mosquitoes get inside and die because of the heat. I keep collecting them when most carcases have dried out to add some insect frass to the soil.
-Water from boiled/steamed vegetables.
-Milk. Some people claim a bit of milk is good for your plants and Big Bug and Nirvana from AN have milk protein in them.
-Male urine. In small quantities diluted with water can be good for the plant but not if youre taking medication and female urine is different and doesnt work. I cant do this one because I take medication.
-Lemon juice as ph down (Not a fan of citric acid but it can save you for emergency situations)

I would love to know more about these and also learn new ones.

Last edited:
P

PahPahCee

Crazy, what’s up with female urine?

I’ll use left over milk and make LAB. Just save the rice water when you make rice and throw your extra milk in it.

I keep a 5 gallon bucket and lid next to the kitchen and throw everything in it. This goes into my master compost pile.

Grass clippings are great for making teas or compost. I tend to just give it to my chickens because they love it.

I collect soils thriving in living fungal or bacteria when I go on hikes. I then take it home and make a IMO. I don’t buy any crazy expensive mycos anymore.

Eledin

Eledin

I’ll use left over milk and make LAB. Just save the rice water when you make rice and throw your extra milk in it.

I keep a 5 gallon bucket and lid next to the kitchen and throw everything in it. This goes into my master compost pile.

Grass clippings are great for making teas or compost. I tend to just give it to my chickens because they love it.

I collect soils thriving in living fungal or bacteria when I go on hikes. I then take it home and make a IMO. I don’t buy any crazy expensive mycos anymore.
Thats great! I wanna be able to compost again soon, I love it, I love recycling stuff, feels productive and right. Didnt think about the rice water, in spain we dont wash our rice before coocking it 😅 we like it starchy I guess. I do save the water from boiling or steaming certain vegetables. Collecting good soil when you go on hikes is also a really good idea, thanks!
As for the female urine thing:
Its a huge study, let me spare you a painful read: Female urine is way higher in nitrogen and that can cause problems.

Eledin

Eledin

My camera sucks but here is what 1 month of insects is, this is only the entrance but they accumulate the most there. I emptied it recently and baked it a bit at low temperature for my new grow that I started a few days ago.

I live next to a river close to the forest so there's never a shortage of insects. Thats mostly mosquitoes and funguns gnats and ocasionally a big fly or a fruit fly. With a couple of fluorescent lights with open cover you can get enough to make some insect frass after a few months.

S

Stonemason7767

I just spread my imo4 on the farm.finished this pile last fall.couldnt wait till spring to spread it.i think indigenous microbes work so much better than store bought lab grown stuff.they are ready for your altitude and inviroment. Better adapted and cheaper cost me around $100 to make 500 lbs.

20221112 133454
S

Stonemason7767

Hello fellow growers! I made this post so we can share our info and debate about homemade fertilizers. Even tho I use super soil and organic liquid fertilizers I always like to make use of whats around the house. Ill list some of the ones that I use and the most common ones and we can debate if they are good, bad or useless.

-Coffee grounds and/or teas mixed with the soil for ph regulation and some nutes.
-Eggshells mixed with the soil. (Calcium, I know it takes months for them to start releasen the calcium in the soil, so only good if you reuse the soil)
-Egshells with vinegar for fast absorption calcium. (Adding some epsom salts after mixing everything with water you have a calmag with a bit of sulfur)
-Banana peel tea: (carbs, vegetal protein and micro and macro nutrients, specially potassium)
-Germinated lentils solution (Micro and macro nutrients but mostly auxines for faster plant and root development in veg)
-Buck of water where your plant waste goes if you cant compost. let it sit for a few weeks, it becomes stronger every month, specially if you keep adding material.
-Molasses. (not adviced for hydro. Aminoacids and carbs to feed soil life and fatten buds)
-DIY insect frass. I leave my fluorescent tubes (in my room, kitchen, and living room. I use LED in the tent) slightly open so gnats, flies and mosquitoes get inside and die because of the heat. I keep collecting them when most carcases have dried out to add some insect frass to the soil.
-Water from boiled/steamed vegetables.
-Milk. Some people claim a bit of milk is good for your plants and Big Bug and Nirvana from AN have milk protein in them.
-Male urine. In small quantities diluted with water can be good for the plant but not if youre taking medication and female urine is different and doesnt work. I cant do this one because I take medication.
-Lemon juice as ph down (Not a fan of citric acid but it can save you for emergency situations)

I would love to know more about these and also learn new ones.
Check out Korean natural farming if you want cheap effective solutions. Hit me up if your interested I can help.there are 9 core solutions. Sounds like it would be right up your alley.

Eledin

Eledin

Check out Korean natural farming if you want cheap effective solutions. Hit me up if your interested I can help.there are 9 core solutions. Sounds like it would be right up your alley.
Im very interested, I like using everything I have at hand if its not gonna damage the plants. Right now I cant compost so my options are limited but I will have some land in the near future to plant cbd and of course my little food garden, plus spices and medicinal herbs. Thanks for the suggestion Im watching youtube videos about it now hahaha if you have anything that you could add and help me is also welcome!

Last edited:
S

Stonemason7767

Im very interested, I like using everything I have at hand if its not gonna damage the plants. Right now I cant compost so my options are limited but I will have some land in the near future to plant cbd and of course my little food garden, plus spices and medicinal herbs.
Let me know when your ready . You will love it.check out Chris Trump on youtube.also dr.drake pure knf.drake is the master I learned it from.i have a small farm like you just described my plants have never been happier. Drake answers questions every sunday on his channel 10 a.m. Hawaii time. Chris Trump has alot of good videos also.he brought back a 900 acre diseased macadamia nut farm using knf. Its beyond organic I would love to help you learn it.

Eledin

Eledin

Thanks a lot! Having the best available channels mentioned spares me of watching less informative videos 😛 I will let you know when I start the project for sure, thanks!

Top Bottom