Think a DE 1000w is too hot for a 6x6 scrog?

• Thread starter Kfos
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kfos

Kfos

So doing a 6x6 scrog and bouncing between a de 1000 and 2 600 watt. What do you think? Anyone running a de 1000 in a 6x6? About to pull trigger on the purchase just dont wanna overheat. I'll be able to get 3 ft above canopy no problem and lots of ventilation

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Why not a regular single ended HID? I used a single MH/HPS in an area that size for a few years with great results. DE is more suited to very large grows and supplemental in greenhouse situations imho, I dont think you would gain anything having a DE 3' over the canopy vs a regular HID 20-24"" over the canopy, other than more heat and height restrictions. Honestly, the closer you can push your light to the canopy the better as the photons are more concentrated when they hit the plant.

Kfos

Kfos

Why not a regular single ended HID? I used a single MH/HPS in an area that size for a few years with great results. DE is more suited to very large grows and supplemental in greenhouse situations imho, I dont think you would gain anything having a DE 3' over the canopy vs a regular HID 20-24"" over the canopy, other than more heat and height restrictions. Honestly, the closer you can push your light to the canopy the better as the photons are more concentrated when they hit the plant.
I'm running a single 600 at the moment in my 6x6 tent. If I moved to a 1000w single ended that would be sufficient for nice nugs in a 6x6? Moving from a 4x4 to a 6x6. My high end led wont lay a good enough footprint in a 6x6 so looking for optimal lighting. I haven't used anything de yet so new to it

visajoe1

visajoe1

So doing a 6x6 scrog and bouncing between a de 1000 and 2 600 watt. What do you think? Anyone running a de 1000 in a 6x6? About to pull trigger on the purchase just dont wanna overheat. I'll be able to get 3 ft above canopy no problem and lots of ventilation
Between those 2 I go with the 600's, you'll have a better par spread

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
That's another good point. 2 sources of light is almost always better than 1. it eliminates more shaded areas.

If money were no object, 4x 315CMH would be the bomb in there.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hi, I use a 1000 watt HPS in a 5x5 down but I only have 5'.6" ft under the light and I don't believe I could get coverage in 6x6. I'm running my ballast now at 70% to keep the heat down. I think as said above two 600's would be the better option if you can control the heat & humidity. imho

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I agree. I run 2 600’s in glass enclosed air cooled fixtures in a spare bedroom. The footprint is about 4’x7’ and i can keep the mature canopy 18” from the glass.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm running a single 600 at the moment in my 6x6 tent. If I moved to a 1000w single ended that would be sufficient for nice nugs in a 6x6? Moving from a 4x4 to a 6x6. My high end led wont lay a good enough footprint in a 6x6 so looking for optimal lighting. I haven't used anything de yet so new to it

It would, you would just need to slightly elevate the plants on the perimeter to bring them up into the arc of light. If you cant flatten the light footprint, raise the plants on the outside to conform to the cone of light below the bulb I say.

The issue I see with goin 2 600's, is they dont cast light very far out to the side and the plants along 2 edges of the tent could suffer. But you could get around that again by raising the plants on the edge up a bit.

This is my room, its 8x8' with 2 1000w down the middle, and plants semi-stadium so the center row under the lights is lower. 2x 600's in a 6x6 would be a smaller version of this;

20190226 230649
20190125 201350
20190306 073245

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

It would, you would just need to slightly elevate the plants on the perimeter to bring them up into the arc of light. If you cant flatten the light footprint, raise the plants on the outside to conform to the cone of light below the bulb I say.

The issue I see with goin 2 600's, is they dont cast light very far out to the side and the plants along 2 edges of the tent could suffer. But you could get around that again by raising the plants on the edge up a bit.

This is my room, its 8x8' with 2 1000w down the middle, and plants semi-stadium so the center row under the lights is lower. 2x 600's in a 6x6 would be a smaller version of this;

View attachment 889083View attachment 889086View attachment 889085

600 cover 3.5’ square no problem. No need to raise the outside edges imo. Good reflectors are important to get the most out of them.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

A 4×4 tent is supposed to use 600w led witch I do, I wold not think a 1000w in a 6×6 area is not overdoing it however if your running mh your going to have heat to disperse , allot.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
600 cover 3.5’ square no problem. No need to raise the outside edges imo. Good reflectors are important to get the most out of them.

His room is 6x6 though which means each lamp would basically have a 3x6' area to cover. Totally doable still. Very similar to me running a 1000w to cover a 4x8', but I do need to elevate the side rows to bring the plants into the light.

A couple light movers would let you keep a flat canopy, but a stepped canopy yields more in my experience anyway.

Honestly if it were mine I'd probably just bang out a single vertical 1000w MH/HID in there. But I'm very old fashioned and it might not be best for a scrog. The plants directly under the light will get biggest and if you cant move them around because of the netting you end up with a dome canopy.

So for a scrog in there, I think 2x 600's on light movers would be the ticket.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

His room is 6x6 though which means each lamp would basically have a 3x6' area to cover. Totally doable still. Very similar to me running a 1000w to cover a 4x8', but I do need to elevate the side rows to bring the plants into the light.

A couple light movers would let you keep a flat canopy, but a stepped canopy yields more in my experience anyway.

Honestly if it were mine I'd probably just bang out a single vertical 1000w MH/HID in there. But I'm very old fashioned and it might not be best for a scrog. The plants directly under the light will get biggest and if you cant move them around because of the netting you end up with a dome canopy.

So for a scrog in there, I think 2x 600's on light movers would be the ticket.

I dont know what i was thinking. You are right there is a 2 foot strip left with poor lighting. 4 315’s like you said is the right tool for that job. Or 4 400 hps or mh.

Could get the 400’s within a foot of the canopy with full coverage.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
4x 400's would be ballin in there. That's a lot of heat though... I do think 4x 315's would be ideal but there is a way to make almost any lighting system work if you make the canopy conform to the footprint of the light.

I still think 2x 600's on movers would be wild. Or just a semi stadium like I have mine setup.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

4x 400's would be ballin in there. That's a lot of heat though... I do think 4x 315's would be ideal but there is a way to make almost any lighting system work if you make the canopy conform to the footprint of the light.

I still think 2x 600's on movers would be wild. Or just a semi stadium like I have mine setup.

I have seen scrog nets set up with the outside up like a stadium.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I have seen scrog nets set up with the outside up like a stadium.

For sure, you'll see one setup very soon on my grow diary lol. I've done it a few times in my shed and it works really well, I'm just too lazy to train them normally so I usually opt for stakes.
I was just saying a single 1000w might be a bit tricky for a scrog. Its doable though, I'm just thinking there is probably a better way to optimize the room.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

For sure, you'll see one setup very soon on my grow diary lol. I've done it a few times in my shed and it works really well, I'm just too lazy to train them normally so I usually opt for stakes.
I was just saying a single 1000w might be a bit tricky for a scrog. Its doable though, I'm just thinking there is probably a better way to optimize the room.

For the shallower canopy i would go woth more lower power lamps for sure. I like the light mover idea but not all the mechanical parts.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

Brave man. After almost hitting myself in the eye about 6 times with stakes nets only for me haha. Granted PITA when you chop and have 3 screens on them.

6x6 for a single 1k on scrog will be pushing it. The option there is put bigger plants along the outside and it would take a lot of topping and training in veg. Def bigger plants and some vegging in the screens to make it work. Doable tho. Even then the outside plants are gonna be growing into the 4x4 area most likely. 2 600's would be a better option but that is going to come down to hoods. Hoods will make or break that setup. Even with something like raptors or magnum xxxl's for old SE's the 1k 6ft is pushing it. Going more flat then vert will be the ticket.

Do you have a goal you are trying to hit? DE's would be a bitch in a small area like that without AC and just venting. Another option would be 2 - 750 DE's. Then again heat tho.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Brave man. After almost hitting myself in the eye about 6 times with stakes nets only for me haha. Granted PITA when you chop and have 3 screens on them.

6x6 for a single 1k on scrog will be pushing it. The option there is put bigger plants along the outside and it would take a lot of topping and training in veg. Def bigger plants and some vegging in the screens to make it work. Doable tho. Even then the outside plants are gonna be growing into the 4x4 area most likely. 2 600's would be a better option but that is going to come down to hoods. Hoods will make or break that setup. Even with something like raptors or magnum xxxl's for old SE's the 1k 6ft is pushing it. Going more flat then vert will be the ticket.

Do you have a goal you are trying to hit? DE's would be a bitch in a small area like that without AC and just venting. Another option would be 2 - 750 DE's. Then again heat tho.

Hahaha yes, the near misses to the eyes are real. I always wear big old safety glasses in my room for just that reason now lol.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Yeah I'm on board with the 4 -315's also though. That would slay it if you had the cash and control of the temp.

Top Bottom