Think Distilled Water And Deionized Water Are The Same?

• Thread starter mekannic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

is distilled water the same as deionized?

• yes

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • no

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters
MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

not sure, but I think the most often used medium is distilled water over deionized , just because it's readily available. Good question, would love to know more.

mekannic

mekannic

how do i do a little "what he said guy with the little tiny arrow pointing up" emoticon?

is there a bbcode for it? i don't see it in the emoticons available. and is there a bbcode faq or tutorial on this forum/site?

but anyways,.......

Read the link :p It explained the differences :p

^^what he said^^

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

Thanks for teaching me that, I did not know. So basically for growing prefer distilled water over deionized water correct? Can get confusing I wish somebody could tell me what is the best water to start with. I've heard so many opinions what is really what is wrong :confused:

mekannic

mekannic

well, deionized, the way that page describes it, and the way i interpret that, is the worst to use for anything except certain laboratory experiments that absolutely require it and if you needed deionized, i would think that you would absolutely be aware of that fact because you would be a chem student or a chem professional conducting said experiments.

now, other than that, i don't think it matters a whole damn bunch at all as long as you do to it whatever is needed to make it right for your purposes. If you have well or tap over 200ppm or even more, do something to filter it (RO) or buy store bought. if you have tap or well under 100, awesome, perfect, use all you want. i have even found webpages that contradict the need to 'dechlorinate' any water you use.

distilled water can be harder to work with sometimes because in order to conduct electricity, or in other words, be able to measure pH or EC or TDS it has to have something in it. distilled is so neutral to begin with it cannot be accurately measured. it is fine to work with after you start adding stuff, just like any kind of store bought bottled water that ain't really weird or special. just store bought drinking water is awesome. tap water is awesome, like i said, as long as it isn't crazy with some chemicals you don't want in it or it's just way over the accepted starting point ppms for the nutes you are using.

test your tap for ppms. or whatever water you want to use. as long as it is close to 100 or lower, AWESOME, go for it. i used to use distilled only, but the reading fluctuated too much even after mixing in everything i was going to. i also used to drink it. then i did some research on it and found it that it ain't exactly as healthy as it is tasty. living organisms need natural water, like what you would find in nature, spring water. not distilled, not processed (city, but city will do in a pinch), but just water. we adapt to our environment. Darwin was right and it applies to everything. everything is relative. (Einstein was right, too).

homebrew420

homebrew420

what use would a grower have for either of these products? There is NEVER going to be a practical use for DI water in growing Cannabis. THough good info none the less. Just unclear as to its relevancy here.
If you have issues growing in your water have it tested via a local CO-OP or send away, $20. You can even have JR Peters build you a nutrient specific for your needs. Most tap water will work just fine I have found, lived in San Diego for 9 years and grew orchids and other exotics use the super shitty alkaline water. They did fine because nutrients took the pH and hardness into account.

Peace

phoenixfire

phoenixfire

what use would a grower have for either of these products? There is NEVER going to be a practical use for DI water in growing Cannabis. THough good info none the less. Just unclear as to its relevancy here.
If you have issues growing in your water have it tested via a local CO-OP or send away, $20. You can even have JR Peters build you a nutrient specific for your needs. Most tap water will work just fine I have found, lived in San Diego for 9 years and grew orchids and other exotics use the super shitty alkaline water. They did fine because nutrients took the pH and hardness into account.

Peace
What are the chances you have some orchid pics in one of your threads?

mekannic

mekannic

i use tap. i used to use distilled with an ignorant conception on the subject. i educated myself. now, even if i buy water it's just spring or drinking. so many people here use RO and some may need to, and RO water is very nearly distilled water. distilled water, just like RO, has it's place for those that need it. but those are the exceptions to the rule. tap is usually fine. but not always. DS4DF

the DI was thrown in the mix because i have seen it mentioned many times that people here use it for some reason. i don't know where they get it, but they claim to use it and my interpretation of that page says that DI water is the worst water in the world possible for any living tissue. but i need to go read it again. that may not be. i do know it is definitely only good for very specific laboratory experiments that call for it specifically.

i am a subscriber to that chemistry site, i love love love chemistry, although i AM NO SQUIGGLY, and don't pretend to be. just thought it would be something interesting to share here on the farm since they both show up in posts on using them for watering their plants.

although, it's possible that people may be using the term deionized in place of the term distilled, and if so, makes the explanation of the difference even more relevant/educational.

they are not the same thing, and if someone thinks they are and are using them interchangeably, they need to read that page.

homebrew420

homebrew420

@phoenixfire no I dont and the computer all the pic were on was destroyed in a break in before we left San Diego, kind of the last straw for us there.

@mekannic right on. The RO thing is a easy and EXPENSIVE patch for a proper nutrient regiment. The idea one needs the cleanest water is a down right lie perpetuated far too long. God info

Peace

phoenixfire

phoenixfire

Best advice I have ever received about the Internet is how "not to grow" medicine that is. This place is just so entertaining. I've never in my life seen such a massive compilation of Monkey wrenches, even more then at the Hydro Shops.

Top Bottom