Think It's A Mg Deficiency

• Thread starter Colordude
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Colordude

Bruce Banner Week 4-5 in Tupar Gold in 7gal plastic pots, using H&G Coco. Keep pH about 6.4.
Have tried spraying with Botanicare Cal-Mag solution last week. Added cal-mag to nutrients also for the past week.
Any Suggestions?
Also with regard to watering, am using nutrients first day (~1050ppm), week nutrient (~400ppm) solution 2nd, nothing 3rd, repeat.
In past just did nutrient every other day.
Any suggestions?
Am also going to try next round in Smart Pots - any suggestions with those?
Thanks in advance.

Think its a mg deficiency
Think its a mg deficiency 2
Think its a mg deficiency 3
Think its a mg deficiency 4
ChiefnJoeBlo

ChiefnJoeBlo

Looks like a cal lockout to me could be wrong. But I would flush heavy then cut nute strength in half and gradually increase. Are you flushing on that third day? I flush with carbs in between feedings always worked well for me. I've also seen russet mite infestations that reeked havoc on plants like that so I'd scope her to make sure.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

First, why 7 gallon pots with coir? I can grow trees in 5 gal pots of coir.
Did you do any research into coir before using it?
How much water or nutrient solution are you feeding?

NickTheGreek

NickTheGreek

lol thought the same. 2-3 gal is plenty.

C

costa

Did 3 gals. for years , but running in 2 gals. now . I seem to be able to water them more often in 2 gals .

C

Colordude

Looks like a cal lockout to me could be wrong. But I would flush heavy then cut nute strength in half and gradually increase. Are you flushing on that third day? I flush with carbs in between feedings always worked well for me. I've also seen russet mite infestations that reeked havoc on plants like that so I'd scope her to make sure.
Thanks, no mites. Thinking I may how nutrient lockout do to too high Nutrients (H&G EC 2.1- 2.2 [1100-1200ppm])
I've been doing feed, flush, no water, repeat regimen on a 3 day regimen.
When you flush with carbs are you using a weak fertilizer solution also?

C

Colordude

Why such high Ph ? 6.0 would do .
This seems to have occurred when I started making pH 6.0 from what I had been using 6.5.
Charts tell me Mg doesn't get absorbed above about pH 6.2.

C

Colordude

Well, as a neewbie, following the lead of someone no longer in the picture, he said bigger pot=better plants. . . And he used Tupar Gold. . .
I'm following the H&G Coco feed schedule, on a 3 day rotation: fertilize, water, dry out. I feed/water until there's about an inch of water in the tray. It's about a gallon/plant. Any recommendations.
Also plan on putting veg plants in 2 gal pots into 7 gal smart pots today or tomorrow. Is this a waste of size?

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Coir's optimal pH range is 5.8-6.2 .
Where did you get that Mg doesn't get absorbed below 6.2, although 6.2 is the beginning of the optimal range for Mg uptake in hydro, it's still available at 5.8 pH. Also you have to understand that as nutrients are used in the root zone that pH tends to rise from the exchange of H+ ions.
I personally don't like smart pots as my watering requirements seemed to use at least 1/2 more than plastic pots as they dry out fairly fast from evaporation . Not saying they don't work but I pay for my water usage .

C

Colordude

Coir's optimal pH range is 5.8-6.2 .
Where did you get that Mg doesn't get absorbed below 6.2, although 6.2 is the beginning of the optimal range for Mg uptake in hydro, it's still available at 5.8 pH. Also you have to understand that as nutrients are used in the root zone that pH tends to rise from the exchange of H+ ions.
I personally don't like smart pots as my watering requirements seemed to use at least 1/2 more than plastic pots as they dry out fairly fast from evaporation . Not saying they don't work but I pay for my water usage .
Thank you for all the advice! Very interesting about pH rise in the pot. 6.0 it'll be.
Was flushing them earlier, first pail dumped had ppm 4700, second @ 1700, last was 1100.
Think I was overfeeding, causing all kinds of nutrient lookout.
Going to try 5 gal smart pots, to see how they grow, only 9 plants.
If you ever get to CO, look me up.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Yes definitely to high an ppm was you're problem. Most all my plant get daily feedings in the range of 450-600 ppm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom