Think Legalization Will Be a "Slam Dunk"?

• Thread starter pinegrovedave
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pinegrovedave

pinegrovedave

You might want to think again. We've got a huuuuuge constituency out there with some deep pockets and political clout fighting it.

In 2010, as Colorado lawmakers were creating America’s first state-licensed and regulated medical marijuana industry, fellow police officers at a Colorado Drug Investigators Association conference jeered a state law enforcement official assigned to draft the legislation.

Lovell has led opposition to medical marijuana regulations, saying existing dispensaries in California are “a corrosive presence in the community” and authorities are unwilling to legitimize “free-standing pot shops” that he says attract crime and expand neighborhood availability of marijuana.

Law enforcement attending seminars where they're taught how to make pot arrests "stick" in court.

But instructional materials for a certified police officer training program offered by the California Narcotic Officers’ Association declare that “this ‘medical marijuana thing’ ” is “an epidemic that is infecting our society.”

Raney said he wants to preserve rights of local communities to restrict marijuana businesses and ensure the availability of pot “isn’t going to filter down to our youth.” He charges that cannabis advocates are unwilling to consider law enforcement’s concerns.

I have not found those people credible to sit and talk with,” he said.

Will full legalization eventually happen? I'm fairly certain it will. Is it going to be a "cake walk"? I wouldn't bet money on it.

pinegrovedave

pinegrovedave

Colorado is the new standard and leader for the industry.
Not California!!
And all it'll take is for something to go horribly wrong in either Colorado or Washington and then all the other states can point to them and say "Look at <insert whichever> and what happened there!"...and it'll be all over. Both states better be playing things "high and tight" or they'll fuck it up for everyone else.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
What could go "horribly wrong" ?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I am an optimist :)
Mjlegalpoll

Last edited:
mayonnaise

mayonnaise

Don't ask me why, but I was just reading an article in playboy talking about how close weed was to being legal and time frames for legalization. The problem is it was a playboy from 1969. I don't think it's ever been closer but it doesn't take much to derail this train.

hotRod

hotRod

And all it'll take is for something to go horribly wrong in either Colorado or Washington and then all the other states can point to them and say "Look at <insert whichever> and what happened there!"...and it'll be all over. Both states better be playing things "high and tight" or they'll fuck it up for everyone else.

True
But so far nothing but huge profits and a demand that can't be met.
2 important factors the movers and shakers can't ignore.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Great post dave and it explains EXACTLY how the police/sheriffs in my county feel about weed.We are so screwed because every city cop,sherriff,forest ranger,game warden all interpret the law differently not to mention cities and counties overriding state law like crazy and just doing whatever the f..k they want.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

It is imperative that the war on Cannabis continue for law enforcement. Consider how much of the budget of law enforcement agents at all level is dedicated to Cannabis related crimes. Budgets across the board would be slashed. That is bad news because raises may cease and cops may get laid off. So they must propagate the propaganda that has existed since the 20's. There is a reason many retired law enforcement agents recant their views of the drug war, and some even advocate its end.

But we the people have more power than one section of the population. While they may fight, and prolong the war, legalization is inevitable. However when it does happen we all may not be the biggest fan of the laws put in place or the people in charge of distribution.

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

It is imperative that the war on Cannabis continue for law enforcement. Consider how much of the budget of law enforcement agents at all level is dedicated to Cannabis related crimes. Budgets across the board would be slashed. That is bad news because raises may cease and cops may get laid off. So they must propagate the propaganda that has existed since the 20's. There is a reason many retired law enforcement agents recant their views of the drug war, and some even advocate its end.

But we the people have more power than one section of the population. While they may fight, and prolong the war, legalization is inevitable. However when it does happen we all may not be the biggest fan of the laws put in place or the people in charge of distribution.

VERY WELL said SIR! !

pinegrovedave

pinegrovedave

No disrespect Ken, but you don't vote, yes? Gonna let everyone else do all the "heavy lifting" or are you going to actually get involved and be part of the solution? Please don't take it wrong, but being an optimist doesn't mean squat unless you, and everyone else, are actually getting involved. Seamaiden and I are activists and are "visible" in our county, but we put our money where our mouths are. A poll doesn't mean shit unless the folks participating in said poll(s) are actually getting involved...at the very least voting for representatives (including District Attorneys, Sheriff, Supervisor, etc.) that are pro cannabis and voting for legislation to legalize it.

pinegrovedave

pinegrovedave

Capitalism Freed the Slaves(Not Lincoln) . It'll FREE the TREE..!! Nothing MORE them pig's love MORE than MONEY! !
Truth be told, I/we have actually met a grower or two in our day that would like to keep cannabis illegal...because of the money. There's a lot of money to be lost on both sides of the fence were cannabis to be legalized.

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

Truth be told, I/we have actually met a grower or two in our day that would like to keep cannabis illegal...because of the money. There's a lot of money to be lost on both sides of the fence were cannabis to be legalized.

Rip to my uncle who sent kids to college off it's kickback. He Would say all the time, Keep it illegal to keep congress away from it. I didn't agree ..

pinegrovedave

pinegrovedave

Yep....
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/27/us/cannabis-legal-localities-begin-to-just-say-no.html?_r=0

In some ways I think the best thing that could have happened to the anti-legalization movement was legalization, because I think it shows people the ugly side,” said Kevin A. Sabet, a former drug policy adviser to President Obama and the executive director and co-founder, with Mr. Kennedy, ofSmart Approaches to Marijuana. The group, founded last year, supports removing criminal penalties for using marijuana, but opposes full legalization, and is working with local organizations around the nation to challenge legalization.

If legalization advocates just took a little bit more time and were not so obsessed with doing this at a thousand miles per hour,” he added, “it might be better. Instead, they are helping precipitate a backlash.

On a broader level, some legal experts say the emerging opposition to legal marijuana could lead to legal challenges that strike at the heart of the legalization laws in Colorado and Washington — or affirm them.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
No disrespect Ken, but you don't vote, yes? Gonna let everyone else do all the "heavy lifting" or are you going to actually get involved and be part of the solution? .
I don't vote because I have a felony
..I cant vote because i was caught with a 10th of a gram of meth 15 years ago
I have not been in trouble since then though

Im sorry you have to do all the heavy lifting...
Im going to try to have my record cleared soon

I do get involved, though.. I am an advocate.
Everyone I talk to is willing to vote to legalize
All my friends and family are pro leagalization.
I dont know anyone that thinks weed is bad...
I dont know anyone that thinks it should stay illegal

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Feet on the ground and ballots in the box! Get in where you fit in, then. :)

That doesn't explain how and why every officer I've had contact with since last year has told me, not verbatim but in so many words, that they think it should be legalized so they can go after the real criminals, the ones who make victims. How do we explain these officers, then?

I do believe, fully, however, that the PRISON LOBBY needs cannabis to remain illegal as that comprises a large proportion of prisoners.

Latest posts

Top Bottom