Thinking about moving to Kentucky and could use some advice.

• Thread starter justanotherbozo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...as the title says i'm thinking about moving to Kentucky and i'm thinking about it because it seems like a place where you can be free, i've lived most of my life in Rhode Island and i'm so tired of living in a state that is run by liars and thieves who keep pissing down my back and telling me it's raining!

...any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated, i'm hoping to buy a few acres somewhere semi-remote in a county that won't care if i build a cabin or a cob cottage or a strawbale house, i don't want to have to dance for some bureaucratic asshole with his hand out looking for building permit 'fees'. ...i'm planning an off-grid homestead and i just don't need any government phuck's sticking their noses into my business.

...and how is the climate if you want to carry a gun? ...i've reached a point in my life and i've seen this country slide down to a point where i don't feel safe anymore without heat on my hip.

...so anyway, thanks in advance for any help or opinions you care to share.

peace, bozo

respect

respect

Grower of Herb
Supporter
One of the most beautiful and loving loves of my life was from Kentucky...that's about all I can tell you but if she represents most of the women there then your golden if you need a girl.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...thank you for the link man and yeah, based on how those laws read it sounds bad, but it's not all bad as i found this also and this was just a few days ago.

Kentucky House advances medical marijuana legislation

Kentucky legislators had been dragging their feet for years on medical marijuana, but that is finally starting to change. Members of the House Health and Welfare Committee made history February 27, 2014 when they voted 9-5 to approve an effective medical marijuana bill, HB 350.
HB 350 is sponsored by Rep. Mary Lou Marzian (D-Louisville), a registered nurse. A similar bill, SB 43, is sponsored by Sen. Perry Clark (D-Louisville) in the Senate. These bills would protect qualifying patients from arrest, allow them to cultivate their own marijuana plants, and allow them safe, legal access to medical marijuana through state-regulated dispensaries.

Sen. Clark introduced medical marijuana legislation in both 2012 and 2013, but his bills did not advance. However, the tide began to turn when advocates were finally granted a hearing on the medical marijuana issue August 21, 2013 by Rep. Tom Burch (D-Louisville), chairman of the House Health and Welfare Committee. Rep. Burch has since signed on as a co-sponsor of HB 350.

The August 2013 hearing featured testimony from federal medical marijuana patient Irvin Rosenfeld and MPP’s Matt Simon, and it resulted in significant media coverage, including an article in the Louisville Courier-Journal and several TV news broadcasts. Following the hearing, the Lexington Herald-Leader editorialized in favor of allowing medical marijuana, calling Sen. Clark’s bill a “sensible plan.” Sen. Clark has reintroduced his bill, SB 43, for the 2014 session.

Please ask your elected officials to support allowing medical marijuana for seriously ill Kentuckians. Also, if you or a loved one suffer from a debilitating illness and could benefit from marijuana,or if you’re a medical professional, a law enforcement official, a clergy member, or a member of the legal community, please email [email protected] to see how you can be of special help. Please include your address or nine-digit ZIP code.

........................................................................................................................................................................

...also, after i move i will only grow for personal use and i intend on being a very private person so there should be no reason for any LEO to ever visit my homestead God willing.

...and i'm really hoping to see actual legalization before i cash in my chips, ...all it would take is for this putz to actually use his freekin' pen and he could reschedule mj and make the point moot, ...at least then his 2 terms in office wouldn't have been a total waste, at least to us he'd be remembered for freeing the weed and maybe not so much for destroying the health insurance industry and America's image and influence on the world stage.

...btw, do you have any actual experience with Kentucky and it's people? ...as important as the laws are i'd also like to get a handle on how the people are and whether or not they respect each others privacy.

peace, bozo

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

One of the most beautiful and loving loves of my life was from Kentucky...that's about all I can tell you but if she represents most of the women there then your golden if you need a girl.
...lol, thanks bro but at my age all i deserve is a gnarly old bitch as crotchety as me!

...i AM hoping to bring my 23 year old son with me though so he'll be glad to hear the women are friendly, lol, ...he grew up with 2 sisters too so finding willing partners has never been a problem for him.

...hopefully, in the fullness of time, i'll be able to drag my daughters and grandsons out to my homestead too! ...God willing and the creek don't rise!

peace, bozo

Natural

Natural

Still bible belt country. Eastern KY produced more outdoor weed than anyone before CA saw medical mj..but that's some scary countryside..where they boobytrap and pay off local sheriffs. I'm sure it's easy enough to blend into the less grower filled areas though. I found myself in Loretto one night years ago..kind of a blues brother type situation. They had $1 shots of Maker's and Knob..met the owner after flirting with his wife..nice folks..well funded by the local crops. Lots of rednecks. Lousiville isn't all bad...if ya like living near a city.
If you have ties there I could see the attraction...but NC is much more beautiful and even OH for that matter has de-criminalized weed to an extent.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...one of the attractions to Kentucky is that there is still land available for fairly reasonable prices, especially near the many forested areas where i'd like to be and as i'd not be competing with those commercial operators i think i'd be ok, they would quickly find out i'm just a crotchety old yankee who wants to be left alone, lol!

...i'm saving my pennies now and hope to make a move in 2 years but that doesn't give me much time to accumulate much of a nest egg so my target price range is 1k per acre or less if possible, i'd like at least 5 acres so much more than 1k per acre and i get priced out of the market.

peace, bozo

Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

damn 1k an acre, im subbed to see how this plays out for you!

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

damn 1k an acre, im subbed to see how this plays out for you!
...yeah, i won't deny that 1k per acre is hard to find but here are a couple for a bit more that would still maybe be doable.

kentucky land

kentucky land

anyway, the plan is to move to a rental in my target area and rent for maybe a year while i search in person, i don't want to throw down on a parcel of land until i stand on it and see how it 'feels', as it were.

peace, bozo

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Land between Lex and Lou'vil has become pretty pricey. North of Lex and Frankfort is still kinda cheap and it's all pretty. The winters there really got under my skin- cold humid not much snow gray skies all the time. Spring in Ky is stupid pretty and you'll wonder why you hadn't been there the whole time. Great place- no idea where you'll end up at 5000 bucks for five acres...

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Land between Lex and Lou'vil has become pretty pricey. North of Lex and Frankfort is still kinda cheap and it's all pretty. The winters there really got under my skin- cold humid not much snow gray skies all the time. Spring in Ky is stupid pretty and you'll wonder why you hadn't been there the whole time. Great place- no idea where you'll end up at 5000 bucks for five acres...
...yeah, that's the hope but if you look at the two links i posted just above you'll see a couple examples of the kind of property i'm lookin' at.

...and thanks for your input.

peace, bozo

J

Jalisco Kid

I agree about the weather,beautiful for about 2 months of the year. The more rural you go, the harder it will be to fit in. They on a whole are nice people,like to have a good time. but in the back of their minds I think they feel ok you spent your money now it's time to move on. Really depends on you and your energy, I have lived in a lot of places and have always had a good time, no hassles. Wether being in columbia,living and hitch hiking a lot in the islands, Harlem or my neighboring state of Michoacan. St Christopher has had his hands full with me. JK

waayne

waayne

My ex was born and raised in rural Kentucky

JK is right on point ,especially about the fact ,that the more rural you are, the harder it will be to fit in.......

Folks there still make some AAA moonshine ...if you're into that kinda thang....

lollipopman

lollipopman

I'm very close to ky, land is cheap, weather is great. We haven't got any snow this year.. Having guns is second nature around here.. Wouldn't do out door cause they fly county to county looking every year. Any thing else you wanna know hit me up

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
That spot East of Lex you found with 15acres... Nice. Totally kickass neck of the woods. Totally hard to fit in there like he said above. Red River Gorge is right over there... Miguel's (sp?) pizza. Bombass pizza in the middle of nowhere. Great climbing

I'm a little shocked you found 15ac for 2k per over there. Might be way the hell out of dodge.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
My advice when moving to country.
Be cool. Tell no one about growing good stuff.
Do some thing that will benefit the community after some time to know each other be a benefit not a hinderance.
Like Johnny Cash said....Don't take your gun to town son, leave your gun at home bill, don't take you gun to town...
Strap at home and leave at home, really don't need to be showing that off as a newbie....
I t takes years to become accepted. Don't worry too much folks in the country will look after each other in times of need and leave each other alone for the most part.
I love my neighbor and he loves me, old fart who would do anything at any time to help unconditionally as we do for him.
Can go weeks without seeing him and when I do we shoot the shit for an hour easy.
Keep profile low, don't go high faluting and you will se a whole different world than the city life.....
Just think, can leave keys in car, no locking house, quite, clean air, no traffic.. AHH yes.....

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...yeah man, i'm near 60 now and philosophically i lean very heavily toward a libertarian ideal, ...i relate very much to the Robertson clan down in Louisiana, of Duck Dynasty fame, so mostly my neighbors won't even know i'm there, plus, i did extensive traveling in my youth so i learned how to get along with all kinds of people, ...i'm a very open and forthright kind of guy, what you see is what you get.

...like i said i want to build an off-grid homestead and spend the rest of my life establishing a permaculture food forest with fruit and nut trees and perennial vegetables and such, plus, i plan on an earth sheltered greenhouse where i hope to establish an aquaponic setup to raise fish for eating and use their wastes to feed plants to eat as well.

...so, wherever i go i'll be neighborly and friendly when i see people but mostly i'll keep to myself so it would be my son who would have to fit himself into the local scene and hopefully he wouldn't have too much trouble.

...and thank you all for your input, any and all comments are welcome as this is a big move that can't be undone once i make a move so i need all the help i can get beforehand.

peace, bozo

Latest posts

Top Bottom