Thinking about trying to save this ones. . .

• Thread starter redog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

redog

genes?Is that the correct term?
No idea.Anyway,my first grow,many mistakes,lots of stress to plants,two of the four are males and one I have destroyed already.Guys posted in my "such a knob"thread said to save the genes and I wasn't interested,but now after watching this clone grow i'm
fascinated.I've been looking on here for a thread about how to save genetics.Maybe i'm typing the wrong phrases in the search box,who knows.
Could someone point me in the general direction?
I've read some of Logic's post about " Collection and Storage of Cycad Pollen" and breeding for beginners but not sure that's the info i'm looking for.
Here is a pic of the clone in question:

Thinking about trying to save this ones
R

redog

Also. . . . .

How long before the sacks open?
I think they have been present for about 2 weeks,maybe 3 weeks.
And,this other pic is of a second clone from the same plant.Why do you think there are no pre flowers on this one?I think they were cut the same time.

DSC04394a
R

ReelBusy1

How long before the sacks open?
I think they have been present for about 2 weeks,maybe 3 weeks.

They are close to popping.
get your stuff ready to collect the pollen if you are not applying it directly in the grow room with wind.:)

R

redog

Re:

These clones are outside.Anyway of collecting outdoors?
You think a few days till pop or a week,two weeks?

R

redog

Bump question question

After last nights rain I checked this male and at least two of the pods had opened.I had these down wind and on another side of the building from the other clones.
I decided to cut the pods off and bag them.Did I do right?Or is there another method I should use to collect the pollen?
Is that the correct word to use,pollen?

Where should the bag be stored?

DSC04444b
DSC04451b
S

shdowlkr

I wouldnt collect the flower itself due to its moisture level possibly destroying your pollen.

Most will take a baggie and try and tap the flowers so their pollen falls into that, and some will let the pollen fall on to wax paper to be collected that way. You only want the pollen tho, try to remove any other plant matter tho.

R

redog

Re:

So this is no good?
What your saying sounds like I have to look at the plant for hours on end and wait for the thing to pop open.

DSC04453b
S

shdowlkr

So this is no good?
What your saying sounds like I have to look at the plant for hours on end and wait for the thing to pop open.

Try this

Cut a male branch off with some sacs opened and turned down.
Stick the cut end into a cup of water and put that cup of water on top of a mirror or sheet of glass.
The flowers will continue to open and drop pollen, even tho its been cut
That will collect on the glass
Use a razor blade to scrape it into a film roll canister or sandwich bag.
You can store as is, or add 1/2tsp of flour to it.

Otherwise, yea you'll be sitting trying to catch some flowers just opening, and tapping the pollen out of them into the bag.
Moisture kills pollen, so try and get only pollen ;)

R

redog

Re:cool,thanks

Alright,that sounds like a plan.
After it's bagged or bottled,don't put it in the freezer.Right?
Cool dry place.

Latest posts

Top Bottom