Thinking of going dwc

• Thread starter Haggardass
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Haggardass

Haggardass

I was thinking about doing a attend alone bucket in my tent with my soil plants next run just to get my feet wet. My question is do I need to buy a 2 or 300 dollar chiller to run one bucket? or is there other means of keeping it cool? Probably be a pain in the ass to keep dropping frozen water bottles in there like i do for the aero cloner. Probably pretty inconsistent that way as well, I'm tired of having to dispose of all that used soil every harvest and dealing with fungus gnats, which aren't that often, any advice on going hydro, I've done plenty if reading on it and I have been at this hobby for a while now so I want to step over to growing in water.

BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
You should not need to chill the water in a single DWC. Go to Lowes get you a cheap 5 gallon gray bucket for about $2.50...go to a Walmart or sumn...get a small single outlet air pump in the fish dept...less than $10. Then if you have a grow shop near...go get a net pot that fits over the 5 gallon bucket $2.50..then grab like a 4 inch airstone for $1.25...small bag of hydroton or about $7 and you are good to do at least a single start...to give it a try.

This should not need to be cooled...your cloner needs to be cooled the whole time cuz there is an actual pump running. Depending on the cloner it maybe a mag drive pump which seems to get the hottest. You could get a timer to help settle the heat a little for you...get like a 1 minute on/3 minute off I think.

If you are cloning in an aero cloner...shoot...just go straight into the net cup.

Hope this helped you! Good luck with your decision....

Haggardass

Haggardass

Thanks man I'm gonna grab one for next grow and throw it in the tent and use my oh perfect nutes just to see how it works out, I'm using those nutes in my soil grow right now and they are working great i think they could be a little stronger but I'm going to just try to up the dosage a little and see if it has any I'll effects. Thanks a lot

Haggardass

Haggardass

What about if and when I put more buckets in there say 5 or 6 and make it a recirculating system? Any reason I should need to chill that? I'm sure there's reasons. But more so should it ideally keep cool.

ttystikk

ttystikk

What about if and when I put more buckets in there say 5 or 6 and make it a recirculating system? Any reason I should need to chill that? I'm sure there's reasons. But more so should it ideally keep cool.

At this point you will definitely want to chill your system. I have successfully built a chiller based cooling system that not only cools the rdwc, but also climate controls the air in sealed room environments, controlling both temperature and humidity. It turns out to be very efficient this way.

Back to the rdwc for a moment, you'll want to chill the water in it down to about 60-65F. I have found that once I got my water temps down to those levels, I stopped having root problems. UNTIL I got them down, nothing would stop the root problems from gaining the upper hand.

I personally do not go to much trouble at all to sterilize or deep clean my system between runs, as it's never needed it. Cap's bennies keep any really bad stuff at bay, and the cool water temps and high levels of dissolved oxygen make it an unfavorable environment for the rest.

5 gallon bucket grows are deceptive. The plant that shoots out will starve quickly if all it gets is what's in the bucket, so it will need to be kept fed with plenty of nutrients. Properly done, the plants will explode!

Haggardass

Haggardass

so what you say about the plant starving if it only gets what is in the bucket is essentially saying that a rdwc system would help with feeding and such to keep the plants from starving? How did you go about building a chiller? I plan on building my own bubble buckets, ive also built my own cloner and flood tables in the past.

Z

z pine

Keep your room cool enough ( 70- 75 degrees ) and a chiller is not necessary.. I have been running NON RECIRCULATING DWC BUCKETS FOR OVER THREE YEARS NOW. MY AVERAGE YEILD PER PLANT IS OVER FIVE OUNCES MINIMUM ..No Co2

Z

z pine

The secret is keeping your room temps cool and changing your nutrients every four days .. run two air stones on a commercial air pump and use reverse osmosis water to eliminate ph drift .. you do not need a water chiller ... period.

MedViper

MedViper

DWC has the great potential to grow trees with some super high yields,but the one drawback is that it has the need to be dialed in at all times(ppm,ec,ph,temps)not a very safe or forgiving method for a hydroponic novice,my personal recommendation would be to go with an ebb&flow system with only a single reservoir to manage.i use rockwool blocks with or without hydroton depending if i am using seeds or cuttings.i have been using a small 3x3 table along with Gh flora series and a 430wt son-agro hps,my last run yielded me slightly over 20 ounces from five plants. the first photo is from a single plant,the next is a group shot before i had to string up a third line for the rest.
DSC04178
DSC04196

ttystikk

ttystikk

Keep your room cool enough ( 70- 75 degrees ) and a chiller is not necessary.. I have been running NON RECIRCULATING DWC BUCKETS FOR OVER THREE YEARS NOW. MY AVERAGE YEILD PER PLANT IS OVER FIVE OUNCES MINIMUM ..No Co2

The secret is keeping your room temps cool and changing your nutrients every four days .. run two air stones on a commercial air pump and use reverse osmosis water to eliminate ph drift .. you do not need a water chiller ... period.

If you need a good formula for deep let me know

...and you are correct if he chooses to follow your methods. OTOH, running a proper RDWC with a chiller allows a much more aggressive growroom environment, which when done properly results in serious yield increases with no loss of quality- in fact, the stronger conditions encourage the plants to more fully express all of their flavor profile.

You have good luck with your system, I would not. To each his/her own, and I'm not going to second guess your op.

ttystikk

ttystikk

so what you say about the plant starving if it only gets what is in the bucket is essentially saying that a rdwc system would help with feeding and such to keep the plants from starving? How did you go about building a chiller? I plan on building my own bubble buckets, ive also built my own cloner and flood tables in the past.

The more reserve capacity of the hydroponic system you're using, the longer your changeout interval can be. I have been waiting too long, and my capacity was 3 gal x 12 sites + 2 control buckets = 42 gallons. That would not last a week under hungry healthy plants.

My new setup of 27 gallon tubs doubles total RDWC water volume to nearly 90 gallons, so now four plants will have plenty to drink and feast on for quite some time.

One does not so much build the chiller itself as one builds the water supply and return lines throughout their grow, and then buys a chiller unit and installs it. The chiller is exactly the same as an air conditioning unit, save for one basic difference; instead of Freon passing through a radiator and air is blown through it to get cold, there is a coil of water pipe the Freon runs through to cool water flowing through the pipe. The chilled water then flows through your system to cool everything. EVERYTHING: water in RDWC, temperature control and dehumidification, all at once, all at substantial energy savings, especially if you run a larger facility.

As if that isn't far enough out there for ya, ask me about how my next climate control system is going to have fish in it. Seriously.

Haggardass

Haggardass

I think I'll run with the one bucket for now I thought about doing ebb & flow a while back but I have always been drawn to bubble buckets ever since I read a thread in another forum, thank you guys for all your help hopefully I'll be running six bubble buckets before too long. For sure going to get a chiller just to nip any potential problems in the butt.

Z

z pine

Running even a single deep water bucket can be both fun and rewarding. With a small initial investment you can achieve the same results as a large recirculating system , while learning the fundamentals of hydroponics. Single buckets require more maintenance and closer attention to detail.. but if you're growing different strains you'll enjoy the fine tuning capability and really be able to dial in each plant . Bottom line they both work great. Its up to you to decide how much money you want to spend and how much time your willing to give up.

Haggardass

Haggardass

Thanks pine that's exactly what I'm doing is learning the fundamentals of it while still being able to harvest something if it goes wrong

Z

z pine

Right on . One you master the single bucket set up you can run damn near any hydro system. Its like learning to drive on a five speed instead of an automatic if that makes sense.. keep us posted and good luck. I'm here from time to time if you need help

BudLightyear

BudLightyear

One question for you DWC pros.

What is an ideal water level for a single bucket with 8" net pot?
Midway up net pot / Right at the bottom of net pot / Below the net pot?

Z

z pine

One question for you DWC pros.

What is an ideal water level for a single bucket with 8" net pot?
Midway up net pot / Right at the bottom of net pot / Below the net pot?
When the new clone or seedling is introduced into the net pot the water level should remain just under the net pot ..quarter inch .. as the plant developes a root mass it will search for water and oxygen .. allow the water level to fall while running a top drip irrigation tube for the first two weeks or until healthy roots are established .. once sufficient root mass has been established discontinue top drip irrigation to avoid fungus knats and other root diseases .

BudLightyear

BudLightyear

.. once sufficient root mass has been established discontinue top drip irrigation to avoid fungus knats and other root diseases .

I have a pretty large mass of roots, so the water should be well below the net pot bottom?

Top Bottom